News Xerri rejects $500k-a-season deal

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That hole is only for this year so if we can't get Xerri for 2020, there's no point going after him for 2021 as we'll have Billy Smith back.
I'm sure the Roosters would rather have Xerri than Smith. As you'd know, Smith has had several knee surgeries now so i doubt they'd be going into 2021 without adding another centre.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think the Roosters can, and will do better personally.. why bother with a kid when they can pinch an experienced player
He'll have two full years of FG by then though. What experienced centres are there worth signing that would be better than Xerri though? The centre position has been dire for years. Which is why teams will overpay for someone like Xerri or Cotric etc..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He'll have two full years of FG by then though. What experienced centres are there worth signing that would be better than Xerri though? The centre position has been dire for years. Which is why teams will overpay for someone like Xerri or Cotric etc..
maybe not overly experienced, but I think the best young centre in the game is Kotoni Staggs.. I would have him over Xerri any day of the week

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters aren’t really known being loyal to players. If they could sign Xerri and move Billy Smith on they would do it ASAP.
I disagree. We were loyal to Pearce for more years than we should have been. We stuck by SKD during his court appearance when that Jessica Peris slag accused him of all sorts of rubbish. We stuck by the hallway shitter and we stuck by Fittler when he got pissed in North Queensland. We've stuck by Cordner through multiple injuries and we'll stick by Billy Smith.

Let me ask you this, would want your club to be loyal to a player of lesser ability than purchase one that brings more chance of winning a comp?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure the Roosters would rather have Xerri than Smith.
As would most clubs at this stage of their careers.

As you'd know, Smith has had several knee surgeries now so i doubt they'd be going into 2021 without adding another centre.
Two ACL's (different knees) in the last 3 years. But I read somewhere there is a stat that if a young player does an ACL and they are under blah age, there is a 25% chance they'll do the other ACL within 12 months to 2 years. Something about putting extra strain on the good one while the original one heals? Can't remember the exact details of the article.

I think the fact he's done both ACL's rather than a re-occurrence of the first one, I'm more optimistic about his playing future. Don't forget, Teddy did both ACL's before becoming the current best player in the world.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Latrell v.2 scenario

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As would most clubs at this stage of their careers.

Two ACL's (different knees) in the last 3 years. But I read somewhere there is a stat that if a young player does an ACL and they are under blah age, there is a 25% chance they'll do the other ACL within 12 months to 2 years. Something about putting extra strain on the good one while the original one heals? Can't remember the exact details of the article.

I think the fact he's done both ACL's rather than a re-occurrence of the first one, I'm more optimistic about his playing future. Don't forget, Teddy did both ACL's before becoming the current best player in the world.
I wish Smith luck in his recovery and ACL surgery and recovery is a lot better than it used to be. Let's just hope Billy has some luck and doesn't go down the Chase Stanley path..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
maybe not overly experienced, but I think the best young centre in the game is Kotoni Staggs.. I would have him over Xerri any day of the week
Staggs is pretty good but he's a defensive liabilty right now. And i still remember Morgan Harper dominating him all night late last season.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Staggs is pretty good but he's a defensive liabilty right now. And i still remember Morgan Harper dominating him all night late last season.

yeah I agree.. but he's quite hard to handle when he is on.. Roosters would have no problem sorting his defence out... feel like Xerri might not look as good without one of the best servicemen in Graham inside of him

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharks young gun Bronson Xerri has knocked back a five-year $2.5 million deal with Cronulla and will test his value on the NRL’s open market as of November 1 this year.

Contracted until the end of 2021, Xerri has been the subject of continued speculation with back-to-back premiers Sydney Roosters repeatedly linked to the Cronulla centre.

The Sharks attempted to blow rival NRL clubs out of the water by tabling a five-year contract to keep the local junior in the Shire.

But Fox Sports has learned Xerri has passed on the offer and will instead focus on returning to playing strong football off the back of off season shoulder surgery.

Xerri, 19, made his debut for Cronulla in round four last season before going on to score 13 tries in 22 appearances for the Sharks.

Good judges reason it will only be a matter of time before the powerful teenager breaks into the representative football arena.

With Xerri making his name as a left centre, the link to the Sydney Roosters makes sense following the departure of Latrell Mitchell to South Sydney.

But there is no way Cronulla will be releasing Xerri to a rival club this season.

Xerri is also close mates with new Roosters recruit Kyle Flanagan, who will partner Luke Keary in the Tricolours halves this season.

Under the NRL rules, rival clubs are unable to table an official offer to Xerri before November 1 this year but are free to speak to his agent at any time.

Working in Cronulla’s favour is the fact coach John Morris handed Xerri his NRL debut and enjoys an extremely tight rapport with the young gun centre.

The Sharks are currently in camp down the NSW south coast in Kiama.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/couple...l/news-story/2afbd191c9ffec6e5a413d5c33329cc4

Hope we are preparing an offer for him and blow the Roosters out of the water. He could be our long term centre solution.
I wouldn’t write off our board they aren’t dumb just cause they aren’t making noise I reckon they will prepare for an ambush come 2021 with all the money we have ready to spend

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually agree with you
Forgive me if I sound weird but they always remind me of
Palpatine and they treat their players the same way they treat Vader anakin.. use him for gain then as soon as something better comes around they fuck them off.. I.e Maloney, Jennings, Napa etc.. or a dodgy boxing promoter .. promising this and that to their fighter then as soon as he’s done tbeh go from shouting them at the vip table to entering via general admission..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What a bizarre contract offer, did the Sharks seriously expect him to agree to that? Lol.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s clever... superstar !! lol.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sharks taking the piss if they think a probable top-flight Centre will still be worth $500K a year in 2025.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I disagree. We were loyal to Pearce for more years than we should have been. We stuck by SKD during his court appearance when that Jessica Peris slag accused him of all sorts of rubbish. We stuck by the hallway shitter and we stuck by Fittler when he got pissed in North Queensland. We've stuck by Cordner through multiple injuries and we'll stick by Billy Smith.

Let me ask you this, would want your club to be loyal to a player of lesser ability than purchase one that brings more chance of winning a comp?
Fair point

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharks taking the piss if they think a probable top-flight Centre will still be worth $500K a year in 2025.
It’s a worse deal than Doulhei’s, same cash but an extra year!

Not that either will/would see the full contract out...

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has massive potential but at this stage in his career 500k sounds more than fair. He needs to make massive improvements to his positional play
I’m not sure why he didn’t accept. The club would have had to pay him 2.5 million regardless of wether he never amounts to much or has a career ending injury . If he does become a rep player he gets upgraded. He’s definitely rooster bound for less money

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m not sure why he didn’t accept. The club would have had to pay him 2.5 million regardless of wether he never amounts to much or has a career ending injury . If he does become a rep player he gets upgraded. He’s definitely rooster bound for less money
I'm sure his value will increase dramatically in the coming seasons. 500k every year for the next 5 years is chump change for a player of his talent. NRL players only got a decade to make their money..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rates himself this flog ,very poor defender needs to improve that first