News Former NRL star Brett Dallas has been threatened with jail time for stealing

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...il-faces-10th-stealing-offence-12-months.html

The sad demise of an NRL legend: Footy star who once had a million-dollar contract and played for Australia is now on Centrelink and facing time behind bars over his 10th stealing offence in 12 months
  • Former NRL star Brett Dallas has been threatened with jail time for stealing
  • The 45-year-old appeared in court for his 10th offence in less than one year
  • Magistrate adjourned the case so Dallas would book counselling appointment

An NRL star who was once on a seven-figure salary has been threatened with jail time over a string of petty thefts.

Brett Dallas, 45, appeared in Queensland's Mackay Magistrates Court for his 10th stealing offence in less than one year.

The fallen star - who was known for his speed while playing as a winger for the Canterbury Bulldogs and North Sydney Bears in the 1990s before moving to the UK to continue playing - had a million-dollar contract at the peak of his career.

Dallas has pleaded guilty to three charges which included the theft of a $690 coffee table from a furniture franchise in November last year, Daily Mercury reported.

Brett Dallas (pictured in 2004), 45, appeared in Queensland's Mackay Magistrates Court for his 10th stealing offence in less than one year

The court heard Dallas told police he took the table for money.

Magistrate Damien Dwyer warned the 45-year-old former star 'enough is enough' and something needed to change.

'The last thing this community or anybody wants is for you to go to prison,' Magistrate Dwyer said.

Legal Aid Queensland solicitor Rosie Varley proposed community service or probation but the magistrate said he was considering jail time.

'Unless you can show me that the community is safe. This is your 10th [stealing offence] in less than 12 months,' Magistrate Dwyer said.

Ms Varley told the court the former NRL star was a single father-of-three, who had no contact with his eldest children but some with his youngest, a nine-month-old.

Dallas has been receiving Centerlink's disability pension for the last 12 months, she said.

Dallas, who is not yet undertaking counselling, told the court he would be willing to seek the service.

The fallen star - who was known for his speed while playing for the Canterbury Bulldogs and North Sydney Bears in the NRL - had a million-dollar contract at the peak of his career. Dallas is pictured during a QLD Maroons training session in 1995

Magistrate Dwyer decided to adjourn the case so Dallas would book an appointment with Lives Lived Well.

'I want you to be clear that whether or not I impose a prison sentence … if you co-operate with Lives Lived Well and go through their counselling service, well there's every reason that I won't go ahead with that,' he said.

The case will return to court on January 29 for mention.

Dallas shot to stardom at 18 when he became Queenland's youngest State of Origin player after breaking into the Canterbury Bulldogs team.

He moved to the North Sydney Bears and spent the latter half of his club career with English club Wigan.

He had represented Australia in the World Cup in 1995.

Dallas has pleaded guilty to three charges which included the theft of a $690 coffee table from a furniture franchise in November last year. Pictured: Dallas celebrates his second try during the Powergen Challenge Cup Semi Final match between Wigan Warriors and Warrington Wolves at the Halton Stadium on April 18, 2004

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ice is a hell of a drug..

It is concerning to see so many ex footballers have issues with or dealing serious drugs though..

And to think when i was a kid i was so excited when i got Brett Dallas' signature when we were at a Chinese Restaurant in Revesby... I was lucky he didn't steal the pen and paper!

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad to see, he needs a lot of help and probably jail wouldn’t be a bad place for while

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is not locked his tenth charge in 12 months.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cant see him not stealing again tbh hes in a very dark hole atm sadly

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I remember going through his social media accounts the last time this was brought up, blokes absolutely fried.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of many examples of why it's sad that people glorify drugs... might start with pills/gas/coke on weekends but in many cases, this is how it ends up.. Here's hoping that by some rare chance that he can turn it around

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
One of many examples of why it's sad that people glorify drugs... might start with pills/gas/coke on weekends but in many cases, this is how it ends up.. Here's hoping that by some rare chance that he can turn it around
It's not the drugs fault, it's the people using the drugs.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he wants sobriety, find a group of recovered addicts. Councillors wont help unless they're recovered addicts themselves.
If he doesn't want sobriety, well his life is only going to get a lot worse.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow stealing, thats dodgy, must be messed, was a popular acquisition to Belmore in his day.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
sad demise of another nrl star, many cannot handle life after football and get themselves into all sorts of trouble

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the judge is a bit lenient on him, if he wasn't a public figure he probably would've already been in jail by now...

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s very sad. I’ve known Brett since he came to Sydney and lived with the Andersons. He did electrical work at a few of my places a few years back and did a great job.
I hate drugs and what they do to the people not strong enough to avoid them. Lots of people have tried to reach out to him but we can’t help him. He’s a lost cause unless he can change himself. I wish him all the best

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He must be the world's worst thief.

problem is that meth is so expensive that the users have to take constant risks to get their fix.. like the guy was probably stealing shit just about every day of the week

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He must be the world's worst thief.
He was caught trying to steal a coffee table, I think walking out of a shop with that under your arm your gonna get busted, I would have loved to hear his reason for stealing a coffee table 'im having a cappuccino out the front and had nowhere to sit the cup'