News Bulldogs call for review of rules after Foran salary cap appeal rejected

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill has called for a review of the NRL’s compensation policy for players injured on representative duty after being informed their salary cap relief for Kieran Foran would be limited to $350,000.

Foran, whose contract is reportedly worth up to $1.2 million this year, underwent shoulder surgery after being injured playing for New Zealand in last November’s Test against Great Britain at Eden Park and is expected to be sidelined for most of the season.

However, the maximum amount of salary cap relief available to clubs for players suffering long-term injuries while playing for their countries or in State of Origin is $350,000 under a policy introduced after Canberra hooker Josh Hodgson damaged his knee during England’s 2017 World Cup campaign.

All clubs were consulted about the ruleand agreed on it being brought into the competition.

The Bulldogs had made a submission to the NRL seeking to have Foran’s case treated similarly to that of South Sydney forward Sam Burgess, whose contract was excluded from the Rabbitohs’ salary cap after he was forced into retirement by a shoulder injury.

However, Hill confirmed Canterbury’s bid for greater cap relief had been rejected as $350,000 was the maximum amount available to clubs under the NRL rules and called for the policy to be reviewed.

“We submitted an application to the NRL for their consideration and their response has been that the policy only allows them to award up to $350,000 cap relief, which is what they have granted,” Hill said.

“I think that in going through this process it is clear to me that all stakeholders should come together and review this policy.

“I think it is unfair when a player is released by his club to promote the game and represent his country but returns in a manner which sees him return in a manner that means he is unfit to train or play for up to 10 months and less than adequate cap relief is then provided.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/24...rules-after-foran-salary-cap-appeal-rejected/

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s not really surprising I didn’t think we were any hope of getting anything above the $350k.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck we are a dumb club if what the article states is true... the rules state a maximum of $350k salary cap relief....
i cant believe we used Burgess as an example.... the NRL must be laughing at our stupidity. It is written in black and white.
Burgess retired........ Foran has not retired... Fair dinkum dogs, how about you learn to compare apples with apples....

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He should change his name to Kieran Burgess

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuck we are a dumb club if what the article states is true... the rules state a maximum of $350k salary cap relief....
i cant believe we used Burgess as an example.... the NRL must be laughing at our stupidity. It is written in black and white.
Burgess retired........ Foran has not retired... Fair dinkum dogs, how about you learn to compare apples with apples....

it's not the point.. the NRL bend over backwards for Souths... if they were in this position, you know the NRL would be doing all they could to help them out

JAYDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So now the question is,What do we do with the $$ ?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You’d hope they didn’t use that as their argument but it looks like they did....

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The rule should be changed to if a player with one year on his contract is ruled out for the entire year and the club doesn't wish to re-sign them (the NRL will block it if the club has a change in mind) then they get 100% of the contract to spend for the following season. This isn't comparable to Burgess. Everyone complaining that there is bias against us can you give an example where this hasn't been the case -a player not medically retiring and getting more then 350k? I have no problem with the ruling since it's following the rules.

TheThird

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think it works that way unfortunately.
Don't we have to spend it on a replacement half?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Use the 350K to front-load some of the deadwood and get em out early so we have more cap for future years.
Not allowed, it has to be used on an NRL approved contract for a replacement player.

Go Dogs

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“I think it is unfair when a player is released by his club to promote the game and represent his country but returns in a manner which sees him return in a manner that means he is unfit to train or play for up to 10 months and less than adequate cap relief is then provided.”

Never a truer word spoken on the subject. The cap relief should cover the entire time the player is unable to play for their respective club.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not allowed, it has to be used on an NRL approved contract for a replacement player.

Go Dogs
And that player has to be a half or at least played in the halves at some point.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They might not even use it. There’s not really any decent halves out there especially when you only have $350k to play with.
Deja vu all over again.

Since the last time we debated this I have spoken to a player agent and he is of the same view as me. There is no reason we can't register an NRL contract for a player at $350k to play while Foran is injured and then sign the same player to a separate NRL registered contract for the rest of the season. Obviously we have to have the Cap space to fit the 2nd contract, we would also have to have a spare spot in the 30 (after Foran returns) and the contract would have to be registered with the NRL before 30 June.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Deja vu all over again.

Since the last time we debated this I have spoken to a player agent and he is of the same view as me. There is no reason we can't register an NRL contract for a player at $350k to play while Foran is injured and then sign the same player to a separate NRL registered contract for the rest of the season. Obviously we have to have the Cap space to fit the 2nd contract, we would also have to have a spare spot in the 30 (after Foran returns) and the contract would have to be registered with the NRL before 30 June.

Go Dogs
As I said last time I can’t see it getting approved. Time will tell.