The "R U OK ?" Thread

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
A year off the ciggies well kind of ,CEPT 2 weeks in Japan (couldn't help myself at $4 a packet) none on Australian soil for 12months.
Well done mate. Wouldn’t be easy and I bet you’re saving lots of dough

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any Christians our there?
I just watched “The Shack”
Netflix film. Interesting take on forgiveness and coping with loss.

I had my police interview today for my cousins death. Brought a lot of emotion back.
Needing to forgive myself for not stopping him and need to keep moving forward and learning from my pain.

Hope you all well put there.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ozzy now has the bastard:

The Pope, Hitler & Ali.

Doesn't matter good or bad.

Not seeking sympathy just drawing attention.

I know there are worse things people deal with in life as this thread shows.

Forget tremors but its fatigue thats the killer.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I must admit I don't look at this thread very often, and in many ways, it is good to see people being supporting of each other. As someone who has suffered two bad bouts of depression, once when my first marriage collapsed and the second when i loved to a new city and everything fell apart at the same time and I had few friends in the place i'd moved to, I think I know what others are going through, at least in part.

Holding my dead daughter, and never being able to look into her eyes (stillbirth, 38 weeks) and, and at the other end and at the same time, seeing a parent slowly dying of cancer (and try to support my mum, soon to be widowed, emotionally) has helped reinforce some things. Firstly, the importance of caring family/partner. I have the most supportive, caring wife in the world, who has believed in me, since the day our eyes first met. Many don't get to have that, and I am grateful for what i have. The second, perhaps with a bit of connection with the first is, you never know what someone else has been through - the whole walk a mile in their shows thing. I think its made me more tolerant and compassionate person overall, although there is always room for improvement.

This thread has so many people sharing their emotions and people encouraging others t do the same, but weirdly, if you venture into other threads, the dialogue is the complete opposite, and people who are all about sharing their vulnerabilities here, will then turn around and spend their time insulting others who have a different view for some reason..... the question I have today is, why the Jekyll and Hyde act?

After a couple of weeks off the site, it's only really because i'm home alone for a couple of weeks (fun fo a few days, but now I terribly miss my wife, son and dog), and its raining a lot this week, that i've found myself drifting back to have a look in, but TBH, I think i'm better off getting drunk and watching some mindless TV. Pease to all.
I think the reason we have a Jekyll and Hyde thing is that it's a coping mechanism. Some take the piss out of each other, some straight up attack each other, some make jokes out of nothing. Fortunately in this thread we're more serious and kind to each other.

It sounds like you went through some hard stuff. I only know how some of it feels. I was pretty sectioned off from death during my life. I lost a friend when I was 18 and that hit pretty hard. As far as family goes I only had my parents, my sister, and my Grandmother growing up. I met my Grandfather after my mother tracked him down. He died about 1 year later but I didn't know him well enough and he ran out on my Grandmother and he 6 kids when my mother was a kid so I didn't really care that much for him. My Grandmother passed away when I was about 25. She had been given 2 months to live about 10 times over the last 5 years of her life but each time she beat it. When she found out her husband was still alive she was pretty much on her death bed and said, "No way I'm dying until that bastard dies". She had a stroke and passed away pretty quickly a few months after my Grandfather died.

None of that really gave me any depression. It was hard but I honestly didn't get depression until I lost a cat many years later as odd as that sounds. It took a missing cat to kick me into full depression mode. I don't think it was really the cat. It was just that there were so many bad things going on at the time that the cat was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Managed to pull myself out of it but then I lost my first kid to miscarriage which was devastating. It wasn't immediate depression though. I was just so angry that I kept waiting for someone to say the wrong thing so I could unleash on them. Just wanted to fight all the time. Eventually I pulled myself out of it but then I lost a second child to miscarriage and that put my into a slump for a while. It took me a long time to get out of it but I'm glad I did and I don't think I'd ever get back to that level of depression again.

I think it helps many to have a place like this where they can discuss this stuff. It also helps to have a forum like this where you can joke around and chat with random people.

Vegetable rights and peas everyone.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A year off the ciggies well kind of ,CEPT 2 weeks in Japan (couldn't help myself at $4 a packet) none on Australian soil for 12months.
Quit smoking about 12 years back. Don't worry, it gets easier after about 11 years.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quit smoking about 12 years back. Don't worry, it gets easier after about 11 years.
Talking of smoking, the price of ciggies are going up once again. They are saying a pack of 25 Marlboro Gold will be almost $50.

Glad I gave up. They aren't even a luxury item they are just a straight rip off now days.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Talking of smoking, the price of ciggies are going up once again. They are saying a pack of 25 Marlboro Gold will be almost $50.

Glad I gave up. They aren't even a luxury item they are just a straight rip off now days.
Hey what the hell are you doing in this thread?

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Farrrk. I remember going down to the shops with $10 and coming back with a pack of PJs and a pack of winnie blues.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I used to make a killing selling these as a kid, probably illegal though so I defenitely just made this up. It does feel unreal when you see some countries like Russia still selling smokes for like $3 a pack lol.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Was telling these Mexican chicks in Japan the cost of stuff in Australia they were in total shock ,they started laughing when I told them the prices of " Mexican '" food .we live in country where a single bacon and egg roll can cost $20 It's a fucking joke

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

I had my police interview today for my cousins death. Brought a lot of emotion back.
Needing to forgive myself for not stopping him and need to keep moving forward and learning from my pain.

Can't imagine what that would be like, and certainly don't think I have the answers... perhaps thinking about what your cousin would want might help... dealing with the loss is tough enough and he (imo) would be looking down on you and wanting nothing more than things to be as easy for you as they possibly can be in a situation like this... Hope you're doing alright

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Not religious myself but if it helps then I'd suggest you dive head first into religion.

When it comes suicide, grief and anger with yourself is natural. They call it "survivor's guilt". But you have to realise that it was nothing to do with you.

Generwlly when someone "attempts suicide" it usually means that they didn't really want to die. They may have felt that way but deep down they want to live as they put themselves in a situation where they can be saved. If someone really wants to end their life then there's nothing you can do to stop them.

You'll always feel like you could have done more but it's more likely that you couldn't have done anything. And most important to remember is that it wasn't about you.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m not sure how to take this.. All i can say is it reflects the complexity of the human condition..it cannot be nailed down ..or compartmentalised..which tend to happen on forums with such specific topics.. It is what it is..and sure we may have some widely different views on things but deep down..and this thread illustrates it..most people genuinely care, and try to offer help..whether that is lending an ear to listen..or reflecting on their own experience in an effort for those suffering not to feel so alone.. Now don’t take my word for it..this thread is littered with thank yous for the support given..

I have found this is the Kennel..one minute it takes..the next it gives..however when it truly counts the majority of Kennelers will help the best they can..
This place is a Godsend for many looking to fit in , be heard , to share thoughts or just feel valued. It's like no other place.
Public forums like facebook make me hate humans so much. Unless your comments are in line with sending prayers for rain or praising the ground Michelle Obama walks on you're going to get trolled hard.
Anyhow I just had a week off work and decided to share my opinion on the Smith Family and their latest Ad featuring Jessica with (the now banned plastic bag) she uses as a schoolbag . I stated that the Smith Family are exploitng statistics of low socio-economic communities to gain money for their business because what they're claiming they need for Jessica such as a schoolbag and uniform is grossly disproportionate to the cost of advertising...I got personally attacked and I counter attacked..It was awful

Last edited:

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't imagine what that would be like, and certainly don't think I have the answers... perhaps thinking about what your cousin would want might help... dealing with the loss is tough enough and he (imo) would be looking down on you and wanting nothing more than things to be as easy for you as they possibly can be in a situation like this... Hope you're doing alright
Yeah it’s still crushing.
I almost feel resentful that the world continues to turn and things continue to happen. Weird that it feels unjust.
Just had his sons 8 th birthday. I took him and my Son out for a game of bowling. Kind of hollow but we tried.
He Left behind 4 young kids who are now starting to realise he will be missing it all from now on.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Was telling these Mexican chicks in Japan the cost of stuff in Australia they were in total shock ,they started laughing when I told them the prices of " Mexican '" food .we live in country where a single bacon and egg roll can cost $20 It's a fucking joke
I was speaking to a relative in Croatia and he said young people can't afford to live there and theres been a mass exodus of people leaving.

Its that out of control their Government are calling citizens abroad to allow their children who are of Croatian blood to be granted citizenship!

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Some horrible news has come to light. I was told this morning by a close friend.

A close friend of mine back in the day has passed away. His body was found in a creek by police 2 days ago. I haven't seen him for years, because of I settled and with family commitments and I feel so much guilt I never made effort to see him or message.

Now he is gone, take from us. His death as of now sounds and seems very suspicious.

I'm guttered, shattered.

Rest in peace Rob, my young brother.

You left us too soon.

Heart broken.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Some horrible news has come to light. I was told this morning by a close friend.

A close friend of mine back in the day has passed away. His body was found in a creek by police 2 days ago. I haven't seen him for years, because of I settled and with family commitments and I feel so much guilt I never made effort to see him or message.

Now he is gone, take from us. His death as of now sounds and seems very suspicious.

I'm guttered, shattered.

Rest in peace Rob, my young brother.

You left us too soon.

Heart broken.
Please don’t feel guilty.. That’s how life goes..friends come in and out of our lives.. Condolences to you and your friends family and his other friends..