Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are we looking at here, 12 Monkeys, 28 Days, Outbreak, Resident Evil, a dodgy Dim Sim?

The WHO have yet to declare an emergency, yet China have quarantined the city at the centre of the outbreak - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01...helms-hospitals-fears-it-will-spread/11888588

Over 500 known cases, yet the death rate seems low at this stage with only 17 confirmed.

The Virus has now been detected in Thailand, USA and Korea.

A genuine global threat or another beat up?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hard to say at this stage. It's main course of killing people is that it can lead to pneumonia, so it's more likely to kill people with weaker immune systems or without decent hospital care.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't even need to read the article to know that it's a beat up

cue the TK activists :tearsofjoy:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Not as bad as SARS from what I've read..... And that didn't turn out as bad as the most grim predictions suggested.... But a heavy duty virus that can potentially kill can't be taken lightly. Let's just place it on the scale somewhere between ebola and the sniffles.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don't even need to read the article to know that it's a beat up

cue the TK activists :tearsofjoy:
Not really an activist issue, tbh. This is one for the health authorities... At least until they find a vaccine - cue the anti vaxxers.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Not as bad as SARS from what I've read..... And that didn't turn out as bad as the most grim predictions suggested.... But a heavy duty virus that can potentially kill can't be taken lightly. Let's just place it on the scale somewhere between ebola and the sniffles.
I remember them saying SARS and Swine Flu would wipe out humanity. Anything short of that is a win.

Last edited:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds bloody scary.

Wuhan has almost twice the size of Sydney. Imagine if the Aus govt 'shut down' sydney including the airport and train stations and said no one is allowed to enter or leave.

I think the Aus govt should consider banning flights from Wuhan and also seriously consider how it screens passengers from China as well as from countries that have had cases.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I remember them says SARS and Swine Flu would wipe out humanity. Anything short of that is a win.
Yeah the media certainly beat it up a little..... I think it will definitely fall short of wiping out humanity, so #winning lol

Wahesh

Reaction score
Sounds bloody scary.

Wuhan has almost twice the size of Sydney. Imagine if the Aus govt 'shut down' sydney including the airport and train stations and said no one is allowed to enter or leave.

I think the Aus govt should consider banning flights from Wuhan and also seriously consider how it screens passengers from China as well as from countries that have had cases.
Swine flu came close. I mean there were a few people who died but there's no evidence to suggest they died from the disease. I heard many of them were suffering pre-existing illnesses such as cancer etc. The media beat it up so badly though that the WHO almost came close to declaring it a humanitarian disaster and would've had the power to shutdown airports around the world to prevent it from spreading lol.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
For the record, the last strain of coronavirus killed 35% of those it infected. Completely different strain though so hard to say how infectious or dangerous this one is.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Swine flu came close. I mean there were a few people who died but there's no evidence to suggest they died from the disease. I heard many of them were suffering pre-existing illnesses such as cancer etc. The media beat it up so badly though that the WHO almost came close to declaring it a humanitarian disaster and would've had the power to shutdown airports around the world to prevent it from spreading lol.
Yeah I dunno.

I've been to enough places in Asia to know how horrible their hygiene standards are. It wouldn't surprise me if all sorts of freak show virus are born in places like Wuhan/Bangkok/Jakarta etc.

They have homeless animals roaming around, people cooking in public spaces with no form of hygiene, unclean drinking water, people shitting in the streets (India particularly).

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah I dunno.

I've been to enough places in Asia to know how horrible their hygiene standards are. It wouldn't surprise me if all sorts of freak show virus are born in places like Wuhan/Bangkok/Jakarta etc.

They have homeless animals roaming around, people cooking in public spaces with no form of hygiene, unclean drinking water, people shitting in the streets (India particularly).
Yep I've heard about that... that's why I will NEVER visit India. I know that some areas are really nice and clean, but the majority of the country live in poverty. The smell... don't even get me started on that. I complain about the trains here... I couldn't possibly fathom how bad they are over there.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Corona is Latin for Crown, so maybe this might be more appropriate:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But seriously, I was in Thailand from 1 to 10 January. Awareness was really ramping up during this time, and I saw a lot more face masks than usual out and about. I'm not really worried about Mrs CD and the Croydon Pup - only really them passing through the airport to come back on Saturday. Airports are probably the worst place for picking up illness. People coming and going to and from all over the world etc.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Yep I've heard about that... that's why I will NEVER visit India. I know that some areas are really nice and clean, but the majority of the country live in poverty. The smell... don't even get me started on that. I complain about the trains here... I couldn't possibly fathom how bad they are over there.
India is firmly at the very back of the list of places I want to visit in the world.

There's probably 30-40 other places before I will even get close to ever wanting to see India.

However, it's pretty trendy to say you've been to or are going to India. Lord knows why.

Status
Not open for further replies.