Marriage and Surnames

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah my wife kept her surname it's both our 2nd marriage. She changed her name once then back but said its just too much red tape to do it again. Like all your documents/licences can't blame her and I don't mind our kids got my surname only.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When I left school one of my first jobs was metal fabrication and construction.

The guy who I worked with is Bolivian and was married to an Argentinean lady.

One day in the van I noticed he had some of her mail and it all had her maiden name.

I went back up and interrogated him to be sure I didn't assume wrong they were married?

He confirmed they were indeed married.
I was going to shake my head and say dude wtf you marry her?

If I ever get married that will be one of the first questions I'd ask when putting the engagement ring on.

If she says she is new age and believes in keeping her maiden name?
I will promptly remove the ring and go put it on either her sister or best friends finger!Lmao
For me it was like, to my then future wife: You want to keep your family name? -yes- fine stay with your family than. Simple and she had a choice.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
For me it was like, to my then future wife: You want to keep your family name? -yes- fine stay with your family than. Simple and she had a choice.
Each to their own, but for me if a woman who loves me and wants to be with me the rest of her life, it would ring alarm bells if she said she was keeping her maiden name.

The traditional woman is proud to change her surname with marriage as part of the parcel!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh by the way..um did Adam have a surname..asking for a friend..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most fictional characters just have a first name lol.....
:weary: you have no proof they are fictional, but you're entitled to an opinion

and no, surnames are not Biblical, only titles.. I'm not sure what Catholics are being taught

an overwhelming majority of both males and females, believers/non-believers agree that the husbands name is taken.. and that's not going to change anytime soon... bar a very small minority of extreme cucks

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
:weary: you have no proof they are fictional, but you're entitled to an opinion

and no, surnames are not Biblical, only titles.. I'm not sure what Catholics are being taught

an overwhelming majority of both males and females, believers/non-believers agree that the husbands name is taken.. and that's not going to change anytime soon... bar a very small minority of extreme cucks
Me personally I just feel a woman doesn't have love or respect for her man if she not proud to take his name.

Don't give me this shit about its too much of a fuck around with paperwork to change names.

I'd say "so subconsciously before we're married you are leaving room to bail out easy if you think you've found greener pastures ".

Sorry guys but too many modern men and women don't know loyalty and for that reason I'll never trust.

I'm in same boat as Bill Maher and for me don't see any real purpose for getting married?

Single man= mustang!
Married man= the horse n cart with the blinders on!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Me personally I just feel a woman doesn't have love or respect for her man if she not proud to take his name.

Don't give me this shit about its too much of a fuck around with paperwork to change names.

I'd say "so subconsciously before we're married you are leaving room to bail out easy if you think you've found greener pastures ".

Sorry guys but too many modern men and women don't know loyalty and for that reason I'll never trust.

I'm in same boat as Bill Maher and for me don't see any real purpose for getting married?

Single man= mustang!
Geeze man I love Mustangs!

A640B340-646E-45A7-8470-F120C85A3A07.jpeg

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Single man= mustang!

if the woman wants to wear the pants, it's trouble from the get go.. no two ways about it

People jumping into marriage too quickly is the issue imo... not to say that long term partners won't end up in divorce... but so often you will see a couple tie the knot after a couple years of dating... divorced almost as quickly as they were wedded

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Keeping/changing surnames has generally run along along of tradition, not about love and all that jazz.

I see a few posters have gone for the old "if my wife loved me she would change her name" type responses. One of the said posters openly seems to have a thing for third world Spanish speakers - who.... keep their own names when married, and who pass parts of both their names to the children (in most case, their paternal side surnames). There's several hundred million of those. I'll have to check with the ones I know to see if their marriages are less valid. We could then add the 1.5 billion odd Chinese who don't, 80 odd million Koreans... and speaking of Koreans, just across the sea in Japan, it's the complete opposite: Japanese couples can't, by law, have different surnames (was recently challenged in their courts and lost). Viva la difference, hey?

Some of the above examples will adopt husband's surnames informally, or just go with however they are addressed by others without fuss. My own marriage falls into this. Mrs CD kept her name officially for now - it makes running her business affairs in her home country much easier. Is genuinely not a big deal - its not like either of us put our foot down, we simply maintained the status quo. Loking back, a small part of it also was the fact hat when we got married the "first" time, it was in a traditional ceremony (overseas), but had no legal status I(in Mrs CD's home country you have a big traditional wedding and then a few days later go unto a registry type office to sign off, as opposed to wedding in Australia where its all done at once).

A couple of years passed before thought we'd better get around to doing the legal thing - we found it easier for things like transferring assets, and as we were looking to adopt from overseas,in the majority of cases, it was easier to be "legally" married, so off to the registry we went... by the time all this had occurred, we'd kind of forgotten about the name thing, it simply never got discussed. As her family/business affairs overseas slow down, and we look to have more kids, her thoughts have changed/started, and I can see her making the official switch before our eldest starts school in three years. Overall, I think in the long term is will possibly make things a more convenient, and remove a bit of the old stigma clearly on display here, but its not as if it will change anything within the family unit. I have heard some women say that they felt closer/more of a family unit their name change (the most vocal one actually from one of the Latin countries mentioned above), and who knows, it might on our case too. I guess we'll wait and see.

We often receive paperwork and correspondence in common name, and not once have we sought to correct anybody or really cared. we really don't give a rats either way, or care about any snide people who know absolutely nothing about us, about the ins and outs of our lives. I think the events that have happened to me and my family in the past year or so has shown/confirmed what's important to me, and if you want to result to insults or feel superior because of a surname, up to you I guess.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah my wife kept her surname it's both our 2nd marriage. She changed her name once then back but said its just too much red tape to do it again. Like all your documents/licences can't blame her and I don't mind our kids got my surname only.
When you get to your second run, I think you learn some additional perspective about what's actually important to you. I doesn't need to apply to the relationships of others of course, just to yours.

All the best second time around :grinning:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Keeping/changing surnames has generally run along along of tradition, not about love and all that jazz.

I see a few posters have gone for the old "if my wife loved me she would change her name" type responses. One of the said posters openly seems to have a thing for third world Spanish speakers - who.... keep their own names when married, and who pass parts of both their names to the children (in most case, their paternal side surnames). There's several hundred million of those. I'll have to check with the ones I know to see if their marriages are less valid. We could then add the 1.5 billion odd Chinese who don't, 80 odd million Koreans... and speaking of Koreans, just across the sea in Japan, it's the complete opposite: Japanese couples can't, by law, have different surnames (was recently challenged in their courts and lost). Viva la difference, hey?

Some of the above examples will adopt husband's surnames informally, or just go with however they are addressed by others without fuss. My own marriage falls into this. Mrs CD kept her name officially for now - it makes running her business affairs in her home country much easier. Is genuinely not a big deal - its not like either of us put our foot down, we simply maintained the status quo. Loking back, a small part of it also was the fact hat when we got married the "first" time, it was in a traditional ceremony (overseas), but had no legal status I(in Mrs CD's home country you have a big traditional wedding and then a few days later go unto a registry type office to sign off, as opposed to wedding in Australia where its all done at once).

A couple of years passed before thought we'd better get around to doing the legal thing - we found it easier for things like transferring assets, and as we were looking to adopt from overseas,in the majority of cases, it was easier to be "legally" married, so off to the registry we went... by the time all this had occurred, we'd kind of forgotten about the name thing, it simply never got discussed. As her family/business affairs overseas slow down, and we look to have more kids, her thoughts have changed/started, and I can see her making the official switch before our eldest starts school in three years. Overall, I think in the long term is will possibly make things a more convenient, and remove a bit of the old stigma clearly on display here, but its not as if it will change anything within the family unit. I have heard some women say that they felt closer/more of a family unit their name change (the most vocal one actually from one of the Latin countries mentioned above), and who knows, it might on our case too. I guess we'll wait and see.

We often receive paperwork and correspondence in common name, and not once have we sought to correct anybody or really cared. we really don't give a rats either way, or care about any snide people who know absolutely nothing about us, about the ins and outs of our lives. I think the events that have happened to me and my family in the past year or so has shown/confirmed what's important to me, and if you want to result to insults or feel superior because of a surname, up to you I guess.
Sorry CD but this 3rd strikes my fancy way more than SE_A's 3rd world

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Now that is one hellava marriage CD..beautiful mate..you are one lucky fellow..and your wife is one lucky lady.. This whole thread reminds me of Juliet’s dialogue in Shakespeare, in Romeo and Juliet, Act II. Scene II, ‘What’s in a name? that which we call a rose , By any other name would smell as sweet;’ You just proved it.. Anyway each to their own I say.. I myself, if I had the gift of getting married, I would like it if my wife took my name..but alas each to their own..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry CD but this 3rd strikes my fancy way more than SE_A's 3rd world

If you like cellulite I guess... but seriously, unless they're Brazillian and will follow the Portuguese tradition of generally changing surnames... the rest of the latin american world you have a thing for, won't unfortunately. So, no Colombians for you :grinning:

Not sure why you've mentioned South East Asia, in every country in that part of the world, AFAIK, traditionally changes their names or has to be law.