Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

THE Wests Tigers are considering reuniting the Leilua brothers, with Luciano declaring it’s a “100 per cent option” for older brother Joey to join him at Concord this year.

The Tigers had floated the prospect of signing Joey before Christmas but those discussions are back on the table.

Luciano looms as an obvious drawcard for the Tigers after settling into the club seamlessly having joined from St George Illawarra in the off-season.

“We spoke about it the other day,” Luciano said. “He didn’t know much about it until his manager spoke to him. They are trying to see their options and they will go from there.

“It’s an option, 100 per cent. He was in the same position as I was (at the Dragons). It’ll be good to get another veteran in here. It would be good and exciting for the club.”

The move makes sense for the Raiders and the Tigers. Leilua is in the final year of his $600,000 contract with the Raiders and is unlikely to be retained. Canberra signed Melbourne’s Curtis Scott in the off-season to bolster an already star-studded backline.

The Tigers are also on the lookout for a marquee outside back. They missed out on Latrell Mitchell and have been linked to a host of other players including Adam Doueihi and Josh Addo-Carr.

The sticking point of the deal will be how much Joey Leilua, 28, expects in 2021 and beyond.

“I’ve sold the club to him,” Leilua said. “I’ve told him we are building a new culture here as a club we want to go in a different direction and build onto what we as a club want. That’s important. I told him the opportunities here if you want to come here. The club will give you its full support.

“I told him if you want to come back to Sydney, come back to Sydney — you’ve been away for a bit. I told him he will love the club and the environment.”

The signing of Leilua would also allow Moses Mbye to shift to hooker to cover for the uncertainty surrounding Josh Reynolds. Playing for Samoa at the end-of-year World Nines was the first time the pair had taken the field at the same time — they’ve never faced off in an NRL match.

“It would be a good opportunity for us to play each other,” Leilua said. “It was good to pick his brain and how he goes into a game and for him to see how I go into a game.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/2ad568b7cbe49a4622dad6790113568c

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
While I get it, he’s still a better centre then our options unless smith goes in to partner hoop and we get a good winger going

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
While I get it, he’s still a better centre then our options unless smith goes in to partner hoop and we get a good winger going
Would rather just throw Harper, Montoya and Averillo for 2020 and see if any of them swim.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

THE Wests Tigers are considering reuniting the Leilua brothers, with Luciano declaring it’s a “100 per cent option” for older brother Joey to join him at Concord this year.

The Tigers had floated the prospect of signing Joey before Christmas but those discussions are back on the table.

Luciano looms as an obvious drawcard for the Tigers after settling into the club seamlessly having joined from St George Illawarra in the off-season.

“We spoke about it the other day,” Luciano said. “He didn’t know much about it until his manager spoke to him. They are trying to see their options and they will go from there.

“It’s an option, 100 per cent. He was in the same position as I was (at the Dragons). It’ll be good to get another veteran in here. It would be good and exciting for the club.”

The move makes sense for the Raiders and the Tigers. Leilua is in the final year of his $600,000 contract with the Raiders and is unlikely to be retained. Canberra signed Melbourne’s Curtis Scott in the off-season to bolster an already star-studded backline.

The Tigers are also on the lookout for a marquee outside back. They missed out on Latrell Mitchell and have been linked to a host of other players including Adam Doueihi and Josh Addo-Carr.

The sticking point of the deal will be how much Joey Leilua, 28, expects in 2021 and beyond.

“I’ve sold the club to him,” Leilua said. “I’ve told him we are building a new culture here as a club we want to go in a different direction and build onto what we as a club want. That’s important. I told him the opportunities here if you want to come here. The club will give you its full support.

“I told him if you want to come back to Sydney, come back to Sydney — you’ve been away for a bit. I told him he will love the club and the environment.”

The signing of Leilua would also allow Moses Mbye to shift to hooker to cover for the uncertainty surrounding Josh Reynolds. Playing for Samoa at the end-of-year World Nines was the first time the pair had taken the field at the same time — they’ve never faced off in an NRL match.

“It would be a good opportunity for us to play each other,” Leilua said. “It was good to pick his brain and how he goes into a game and for him to see how I go into a game.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/2ad568b7cbe49a4622dad6790113568c

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mbye still doesn’t have a position after all these years. So happy he’s not stinking up our halves anymore

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with you on Harper and Averillo but not Montoya I would give tass ago before bringing Montoya back in 1st grade
I wouldn't waste too much time on him considering its also Tass's and Harper's last contracted year and the chance to impress but would be nice to give the kid one more go after the shit fight his been through.

Last edited:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mbye still doesn’t have a position after all these years. So happy he’s not stinking up our halves anymore
and somehow played for Queensland... what next? statue at Suncorp stadium? Hall of Fame?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Least there not coming near our club :hearteyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.