Science Stuff

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I usually interchange wave and energy due to my classic mechanics background, when I see something that is described as say a gamma ray/photon its just energy being released to me lol

I was reading one theory (mainly based around pilot-wave theory which isn't really wrong as it can describe all the theories of quantum mechanics aswell) where they did consider these perfect shapes of space/volume (3d or 2d aswell) where quantum fluctuations would be occurring which allows the creation of particle-antiparticle pairs of virtual particles and that continuous cycle of uncertainty and chaos would lead to an expansion like the big bang. But what created that energy to be able to fluctuate
It sounds really interesting. When you get to the Quantum world it becomes really complex. I have chatted with people who are working on developing the first real quantum computer and one of them gave the best explanation they could about our knowledge of quantum mechanics.

"we know enough about quantum mechanics to build a quantum computer capable of carrying out calculations that would explain about 5% of how quantum mechanics works. When we finally get it working we'll officially know 5% more about quantum mechanics than we know right now"

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It sounds really interesting. When you get to the Quantum world it becomes really complex. I have chatted with people who are working on developing the first real quantum computer and one of them gave the best explanation they could about our knowledge of quantum mechanics.

"we know enough about quantum mechanics to build a quantum computer capable of carrying out calculations that would explain about 5% of how quantum mechanics works. When we finally get it working we'll officially know 5% more about quantum mechanics than we know right now"
Having a background in computer science as well its always interested me what the programming for a quantum computer is like and the languages created for it

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Science Stuff.

As a science enthusiast I’m fascinated in what we discover and what we are yet to learn. As such I’m going to dump interesting science stories in this thread on an ongoing basis.

I’m going to provide links where I can and explanations when I think I know, but I want peeps to correct me if I get something wrong about a story or article. Yes I want to be peer reviewed!! And if there is a science topic that peaks your interest, put it in here and I’ll grab some info on it to discuss. So load up your pocket protectors and straighten your bow ties, it’s time to get all Sciencey.

To start off with we’ll look at something close by and familiar to each of us, our Sun.

Fun Sun Facts:

We use our Sun as a unit of measure = 1 AU (Astronomical Unit) is the distance from the Sun to Earth. Saturn is an average of 9.6 AU from the Sun. Old Pluto’s average distance from the sun is 39.5 AU.

Our Sun sings and breathes - https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2018/sounds-of-the-sun

Our Sun Farts - https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resources/2288/the-solar-wind-across-our-solar-system/

Our Sun is currently converting 600 million tons of hydrogen into helium every second - https://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2007/locations/ttt_solarenergy.php

Now that sounds like a lot, but when you think our Sun is only halfway through its lifecycle and has approximately 4 billion years of fuel left to burn, than you start to understand how big it is. If you want a visual of how big compared to Earth, check out the pic below.

View attachment 12609

The material of the Sun is so compressed and so dense, it takes a particle of light 3 million years to get from the core where it’s created to the surface of the Sun itself and then only 8 mins to reach Earth.

And yes our Sun does have a name, Sol. This name originates from the ancient Roman’s god of the Sun, Sol. This alternate name is where we get the term “solar system,” which literally means system of the Sun.

Inevitably our Sun will die and use up all its hydrogen fuel. When that happens it will grow into a Red Giant and consume Mercury, Venus and Earth as its outer layers expand to the reach and melt Mars. That will be the end of all the inner rocky planets of our Solar System and the outer gas giants will be stripped of their upper clouds and reduced to roughly 10-30% of their current size due to the increase in the power of the solar winds (farts). And when that expansion part of our Sun’s lifecycle is compete and it shrinks back to become a White Dwarf Star, our Solar System will be unrecognisable. Our Sun will then spend the rest of its 100billion year existence faintly flickering as part of the ocean of White Dwarfs that currently inhabit our Galaxy.
I tried to understand Quantum Mechanics and read a lot of books by Professor Paul Davies.

Could never get my head around this let alone string theory.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I tried to understand Quantum Mechanics and read a lot of books by Professor Paul Davies.

Could never get my head around this let alone string theory.

Yeah, it's complex. I understand the basics of Quantum physics but my head gets destroyed after that. I spent a long time trying to really understand Quantum entanglement and couldn't quite get my head around it.

The basics are easy. Take two particles, entangle them, separate them at a distance, observe/measure one particle and it will collapse to only one state and the other particle will also collapse to only one state immediately no matter how far away it is. If one particle is a counter clockwise spin the other particle is clockwise spin. Spin up is spin down. Etc.

That's the basics of it. Then it gets a lot more complex. It can't be used for long distance communication because even though the distant particle changes state at the same time, it's not actually a change of state and transmission faster than light isn't possible.

I tried to get explanations of this and one professor who is working on the Australian Quantum computer project said that the best way to explain it is that you can't communicate because you don't know what the information is if you're not there. Yeah, that didn't help me at all.

Other parts of it he said that it can't be explained logically using our standard model of physics.

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
“I thank my lucky stars that I became a climate change denier”

This fantastic song is already numero uno with a bullet in the USA country and western charts

TURN UP THE VOLUME!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Serious question, why are all (Or 99%) photos of space/earth/planets CGI?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It could been seen like this; sometimes the cameras and lenses they use to take pictures of/look at space aren't standard ones on your phone and etc they might have really sensitive sensors with large lenses just to capture data about light thats coming towards us and be used to generate an image with known data about the lights colour, intensity, position and etc. I don't know if that would really be counted as CGI as whenall of data collected comes in you need some really beefy computation to render said images.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This explains it pretty well:

https://www.space.com/9337-conspiracy-debunked-nasa-photoshops-images-good-reason.html

Conspiracy theorists are abuzz over the revelation that a recent NASA photo was touched up before being released to the public.

But this is not news, or evidence that the space agency has something to hide. NASA routinely processes raw images to enhance details, or to visualize things the human eye could never see, agency officials have said. Other space agencies, and many astronomers, do the same thing.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
This explains it pretty well:

https://www.space.com/9337-conspiracy-debunked-nasa-photoshops-images-good-reason.html

Conspiracy theorists are abuzz over the revelation that a recent NASA photo was touched up before being released to the public.

But this is not news, or evidence that the space agency has something to hide. NASA routinely processes raw images to enhance details, or to visualize things the human eye could never see, agency officials have said. Other space agencies, and many astronomers, do the same thing.
So it's not to hide the flat earth :p

PS some ***** believe there isn't space.... fkn lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It could been seen like this; sometimes the cameras and lenses they use to take pictures of/look at space aren't standard ones on your phone and etc they might have really sensitive sensors with large lenses just to capture data about light thats coming towards us and be used to generate an image with known data about the lights colour, intensity, position and etc. I don't know if that would really be counted as CGI as whenall of data collected comes in you need some really beefy computation to render said images.
I was leaning towards the cameras not being powerful enough.

Thanks habibeh.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Question why are we lied to about the world map?
Depends which world map you mean. There is many of them. But unless they're on a globe then they're not highly accurate. Even then they're still not that accurate because the earth isn't a sphere.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Depends which world map you mean. There is many of them. But unless they're on a globe then they're not highly accurate. Even then they're still not that accurate because the earth isn't a sphere.
Yeah but why?
Why Is It so hard to get the right map.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but why?
Why Is It so hard to get the right map.
The main problem is that you can't replicate 3D on a 2D space. That's what causes all the warping especially at the North and South ends.

There is a more accurate map than the one we use but it also has its issues

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
The main problem is that you can't replicate 3D on a 2D space. That's what causes all the warping especially at the North and South ends.

There is a more accurate map than the one we use but it also has its issues

So is there actually pics of the earth?