Science Stuff

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I didn't take high school very seriously, but we built some mad bongs with materials swiped from the science labs. I also built a time machine in year 12. Didn't really work though.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't take high school very seriously, but we built done mad bongs with materials swiped from the science labs. I also built a time machine in year 12. Didn't really work though.
A bong is a time machine. You pull some cones then ask, "why are we here?" and a few seconds later, several hours have passed

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science...tardust-found-in-murchison-meteorite/11863486

Material older than our solar system found in meteorite that landed in Vic in 1969.

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/01/07/1904573117

A 7-billion-year-old grain of stardust — older than our solar system — has been discovered inside a meteorite by an international team of scientists.

Key points
  • The oldest material found on Earth has been discovered in the Murchison meteorite
  • The age of these grains of stardust reveal more about how our galaxy evolved
  • They suggest there was a star-making baby boom about 7 billion years ago
This makes it the oldest solid material found on Earth the researchers said. It's even older than our Earth and the Sun, which are 4.5 and 4.6 billion years old, respectively.

And this stardust has an Australian connection.

It was extracted from the Murchison meteorite, which fell to Earth in the Victorian country town of Murchison in 1969.

"This meteorite is really a treasure trove for science," said cosmochemist Philipp Heck, of the Field Museum in Chicago, who was the lead author of the paper published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
FMD I think I just fried my brain trying to wrap my head around all of that.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Just 'avin' a laff mate. Not trying to start World War III. I'll leave that to Trump.... :P

Ok, ok.....I'll stop trying to trigger people. I'm actually just joking and not in the mood for a scrap today.
Isn't the Angry Orange actually trying to prevent WW3? Lol

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
What's this Planet X AKA Niburu bullshit?

Is it a real thing or a nerds wet dream?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Literally just laughed out loud and frightened the fuck out of the dog lol

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate bad teachers. Back in school I was decent at maths but the head maths teacher didn't like me so he wouldn't let me progress to the higher maths class.

He was completely right though. Even though I aced every test, I was a lazy prick. The teacher never bothered asking for my homework 'cause she knew I didn't do it. Being an arrogant prick, I ended up changing schools and got in trouble in the first class becuase I pointed out that the teacher screwed up an equation. That was a bad teacher. Lasted there a few months before moving to another school to finish off my HSC.

I hate bad teachers. If I was a teacher and I screwed up I would say, "Damn son, you're right. Let's get this shit right!". This teacher instead yelled at me in front of the class then demanded that the principal expel me.
Same happened to me in maths I was in the top class had a problem with algebra and the teacher couldn't explain it to me so she booted me down 4 levels which I had near perfect marks in every test after .

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What's this Planet X AKA Niburu bullshit?

Is it a real thing or a nerds wet dream?
It's bullshit. To understand how bullshit it is, you have to know the full details of what it is.

Planet Niburu/Planet X is believed to be a planet that's come from another solar system and has entered our solar system and will eventually reach earth. There's two different beliefs surrounding the planet. Either:

- It will pass earth and it's gravitational force will tear our planet apart

Or

- It will collide with earth wiping out all life on our planet

First problem with the first part. The moon is fairly close to earth. It's fairly large. It's gravitational force is strong enough to move water. It's gravitational force on us is less than that gravitational force of a fly landing on our arm. A planet would have to pass very close to us and unless it suddenly stopped and went into orbit around us (which is completely illogical) then it would have no effect on us.

The problem with the latter point is that our planet travels at over 100,000 km/h. A planet or object has to be really close to us for us to calculate its trajectory. The planet was first discussed over 20 years ago. It would have hit us by now. Which brings me to the 3rd point...

Every belief around the planet said that it will reach us in 2012. It's 8 years late.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
A bong is a time machine. You pull some cones then ask, "why are we here?" and a few seconds later, several hours have passed
Yeah, or you put some maggi noodles in the pot and 2 minutes turns into 2 fucking hours!

Last edited:

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Speaking of the irony of science. It allowed the Catholic Church to become even more strict on abortion, since science showed the process of a human developing straight away at conception.
Also, who here knew the calendar we have today is the most accurate we have ever had, and was made by the Catholic Church? Hence we shouldn’t be changing bc and ad to bce and ce. Disrespectfullllllll

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's bullshit. To understand how bullshit it is, you have to know the full details of what it is.

Planet Niburu/Planet X is believed to be a planet that's come from another solar system and has entered our solar system and will eventually reach earth. There's two different beliefs surrounding the planet. Either:

Or

First problem with the first part. The moon is fairly close to earth. It's fairly large. It's gravitational force is strong enough to move water. It's gravitational force on us is less than that gravitational force of a fly landing on our arm. A planet would have to pass very close to us and unless it suddenly stopped and went into orbit around us (which is completely illogical) then it would have no effect on us.

The problem with the latter point is that our planet travels at over 100,000 km/h. A planet or object has to be really close to us for us to calculate its trajectory. The planet was first discussed over 20 years ago. It would have hit us by now. Which brings me to the 3rd point...

Every belief around the planet said that it will reach us in 2012. It's 8 years late.
Did you have a read about the recent science finding that the universe isn’t actually infinite or every growing or whatever. There’s a point A and point B. Apparently when you reach point B you come straight back to point A.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hate bad teachers. Back in school I was decent at maths but the head maths teacher didn't like me so he wouldn't let me progress to the higher maths class.

He was completely right though. Even though I aced every test, I was a lazy prick. The teacher never bothered asking for my homework 'cause she knew I didn't do it. Being an arrogant prick, I ended up changing schools and got in trouble in the first class becuase I pointed out that the teacher screwed up an equation. That was a bad teacher. Lasted there a few months before moving to another school to finish off my HSC.

I hate bad teachers. If I was a teacher and I screwed up I would say, "Damn son, you're right. Let's get this shit right!". This teacher instead yelled at me in front of the class then demanded that the principal expel me.
Sounds like you were oppressed by a white man. Not good. So many people can relate to this, as every kid who doesn’t do well at school is always coz of the teacher or higher up. Never the kid!!!!! Lol. Ironic that it was asians, some lebos and Indians that came out on top. That was with a white guy right at the top as well. Crazy

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing in the world of science I find most interesting is relativity. When I first learned about relativity as a kid my mind was blown. Relativity (General and Special) is too complex to go into detail for but here's some of the aspects of relativity that I find most interesting.

In special relativity, time is relative. I have seen many confusing explanations of what that means but the simplest way I have found to explain it is by saying, "Time is only relative to you based on where you are". A simple way to explain this is to imagine two trains driving along. If a train is driving at 60km/h and you're standing on a platform then the train passes you at 60km/h. If you're on another train driving alongside it and you're doing 40km/h then the train you're looking at is doing 20km/h.

That explanation may seem a bit stupid because you're still moving at 40km/h and the other train is still moving at 60km/h relative to the earth. But think of it another way...

Earth spins at different speeds depending where you stand. If you stand at the equator then you're spinning at the speed of 1,670km/h. If the train is travelling in the direction of the spin of the earth, then the train that's doing 60km/h is actually doing 1730km/h. But that's not the only speed. The Earth travels around the sun at around 107,000km/h. So your train is actually doing about 109,430km/h (Average. You're occasionlly going faster and occasionally going slower depending on the spin of the earth and your point on the earth at the time)

So speed is relative to where you are. That's the utter basics of special relativity.

But it's all affected by gravity too. When you look at a black hole, its gravity is so strong that light slows down. When it approaches the even horizon light slows down so much that it's barely moving. But light in the universe is constant so it's still moving at the same speed as everywhere else. What is actually slowing down is time.

Time is affected by two factors (both of which are actually related but that's a lot more complex). Gravity and speed. Under extreme gravity, time slows down. We have tested this. Using atomic clocks we put one on a plane and one on the ground. The one on the ground runs slightly behind the one on the plane. So every time you take a flight somewhere, you age slightly less than everyone else. Only a tiny bit.

The other factor is speed. No object can ever travel at the speed of light (based on our current undertstanding), but we believe we can get close to it. But the faster you travel the slower time goes. Again, this is that special relativity. Two trains travelling side by side. One at 60km/h, one at 40km/h. For passangers on the 60km/h train time is actually slowed ever so slightly. And we have been able to record this difference in time. It's inconceivably small though. But if we could travel fast enough then it becomes different.

The closest star is around 4.5 light years away. It would take us around 10,000 years to get there with current technology. But if we could develop technology to travel faster then we could get there quicker. If we could travel at close to the speed of light then we could get there is around 10 years. But travelling at that speed affects time. So we fly there and back and 20 years have passed. But when we get back to earth, 50,000 years have passed.

This gets even more interesting when you bring in concepts like Worm Holes. Based on Einstein's theories and work by Professor Kip Thorne, if you had an infinite amount of energy and a way to do it, you could use a wormhole to create a time machine effectively. Open a wormhole, grab one end and put it on a starship, send that starship at 90% speed of light to a distance star then step back through the wormhole and you're travelling back in time. It's probably the most useless time travel though as due to relativity, you couldn't go back past events that you already know about because your observation isn't going to travel faster than you can travel.
Can we create a wormhole to get us all to the point in time where the Bulldogs are successful again? Might not be enough technology to fold space to achieve that feat but it was worth the sentimental thought right?

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Science Stuff.

As a science enthusiast I’m fascinated in what we discover and what we are yet to learn. As such I’m going to dump interesting science stories in this thread on an ongoing basis.

I’m going to provide links where I can and explanations when I think I know, but I want peeps to correct me if I get something wrong about a story or article. Yes I want to be peer reviewed!! And if there is a science topic that peaks your interest, put it in here and I’ll grab some info on it to discuss. So load up your pocket protectors and straighten your bow ties, it’s time to get all Sciencey.

To start off with we’ll look at something close by and familiar to each of us, our Sun.

Fun Sun Facts:

We use our Sun as a unit of measure = 1 AU (Astronomical Unit) is the distance from the Sun to Earth. Saturn is an average of 9.6 AU from the Sun. Old Pluto’s average distance from the sun is 39.5 AU.

Our Sun sings and breathes - https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2018/sounds-of-the-sun

Our Sun Farts - https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resources/2288/the-solar-wind-across-our-solar-system/

Our Sun is currently converting 600 million tons of hydrogen into helium every second - https://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2007/locations/ttt_solarenergy.php

Now that sounds like a lot, but when you think our Sun is only halfway through its lifecycle and has approximately 4 billion years of fuel left to burn, than you start to understand how big it is. If you want a visual of how big compared to Earth, check out the pic below.

View attachment 12609

The material of the Sun is so compressed and so dense, it takes a particle of light 3 million years to get from the core where it’s created to the surface of the Sun itself and then only 8 mins to reach Earth.

And yes our Sun does have a name, Sol. This name originates from the ancient Roman’s god of the Sun, Sol. This alternate name is where we get the term “solar system,” which literally means system of the Sun.

Inevitably our Sun will die and use up all its hydrogen fuel. When that happens it will grow into a Red Giant and consume Mercury, Venus and Earth as its outer layers expand to the reach and melt Mars. That will be the end of all the inner rocky planets of our Solar System and the outer gas giants will be stripped of their upper clouds and reduced to roughly 10-30% of their current size due to the increase in the power of the solar winds (farts). And when that expansion part of our Sun’s lifecycle is compete and it shrinks back to become a White Dwarf Star, our Solar System will be unrecognisable. Our Sun will then spend the rest of its 100billion year existence faintly flickering as part of the ocean of White Dwarfs that currently inhabit our Galaxy.
Looking forward, I’m warming to a Roosters supporter. WTF.

To be peer reviewed is Science.

If the Sun disappeared for some reason we wouldn’t know for 7 to 8 minutes.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't take high school very seriously, but we built some mad bongs with materials swiped from the science labs. I also built a time machine in year 12. Didn't really work though.
I actually was successful in making a time machine with my partner Dr Emmett Brown, we travelled back in time before John DeLorean made those pieces of shit he called cars and bumped Mr DeLorean off just after he left GMC...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Did you have a read about the recent science finding that the universe isn’t actually infinite or every growing or whatever. There’s a point A and point B. Apparently when you reach point B you come straight back to point A.
I have heard of this theory. There's several different theories. One being the jumping back. The other being a warp around. The theory says that the universe is shaped like a doughnut and you can never really reach the edge because it warps around and sends you back.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Looking forward, I’m warming to a Roosters supporter. WTF.

To be peer reviewed is Science.

If the Sun disappeared for some reason we wouldn’t know for 7 to 8 minutes.
Yep. Speed of light.

There's this interesting quantum theory about a collapsed boson. If a boson collapsed to a certain level (which is nearly impossible) then it's believed that it would destroy all space and time around it, and that would create a wave that travels at the speed of light and wipes out everything in front of it.

And if this happened we wouldn't know about it until it hit us as nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ancient tree with a record of Earths magnetic poles reversing found in New Zealand.

https://www.newsweek.com/ancient-tree-discovered-earths-magnetic-field-1447570

An ancient tree that contains a record of a reversal of Earth's magnetic field has been discovered in New Zealand. The tree—an Agathis australis, better known as its Māori name kauri—was found in Ngawha, on New Zealand's North Island, during excavation work for the expansion of a geothermal power plant, stuff.nz reports.

The tree, which had been buried in 26 feet of soil, measures eight feet in diameter and 65 feet in length. Carbon dating revealed it lived for 1,500 years, between 41,000 and 42,500 years ago.

"There's nothing like this anywhere in the world," Alan Hogg, from New Zealand's University of Waikato, told the website. "This Ngāwhā kauri is unique."

The lifespan of the kauri tree covers a point in Earth's history when the magnetic field almost reversed. At this time, the magnetic north and south went on an excursion but did not quite complete a full reversal.

Earth's magnetic field is thought to be generated by the iron in the planet's core. As it moves around, it produces electric currents that extend far into space. The magnetic field acts as a barrier, protecting Earth from the solar wind. This is a stream of charged particles from the Sun that could strip away the ozone layer if it were to impact the atmosphere.

When the magnetic field reverses—or attempts to—it gets weaker, leading to more radiation from the Sun getting through. Previously, scientists have linked extinction events to magnetic field reversals.

The newly discovered kauri tree's rings contain a complete record of a near-reversal—the first time a tree that lived during the entire event has ever been found. "It's the time it takes for this movement to occur that is the critical thing...We will map these changes much more accurately using the tree rings," Hogg told stuff.nz.

This is interesting as some believe we may be heading for another of these pole reversals soon. But fret not - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2018/01/earth-magnetic-field-flip-north-south-poles-science/

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Or

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahah. Yeah, I forgot about this one. When random websites put this up they said it would collide in August 2016. Nasa was quick to point out that it's fake.