News NRL announces rule changes for scrums, trainers, 20/40 kick, endorses challenge system

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Also would hate to see a captain's challenge introduced. Would be a terrible idea.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I can’t think of any other sport that allows trainers on the field willy nilly. It looks like an under 6’s game.
Can I ask the obvious question.

Why do trainers EVER need to be on the field unless the play is stopped due to an injured player?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
all smoke and mirrors, the nrl have to be seen as though they are actually addressing issues with the game, even though what they are proposing are nothing points to help what is happening on the field

nothing about allowing a substitute player for one taken out by foul play
nrl is heading down the rugby union, gridiron path of stoppage after stoppage
Be interested to see peoples thoughts on the 18th man being used for such instances?

I know its another rule change but if someone is taken out illegally and cannot return at all maybe not a bad idea?

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
TBH, 20/40 is better than 40/20. Its It's more of an advantage to the attacking team. More space to attack from and less likely to be interrupted by penalties on the line which team deliberately give.
Don't mind the 20/40 in theory. If a half can nail a couple of them it will put other teams on notice and they will start dropping a winger back, which then opens up the defensive line a bit for a teams trying to work the ball out of their own area. Will it work that way in practice? Only time will tell.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
More change for the sake of it that will just create more confusion and apathy from the fans than before.

Watch the shit hit the fan when they still screw up these captains challenges after review. We already have the video ref. The less stoppages the better. They're just opening themselves up for more controversy.

And why not ban trainers from being on the field unless there is an actual injury? How hard is that?

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They should just replace the video ref with VAR and then we can pretend we're LiVARrpool and get all the decisions etc.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
20/40 will never happen in a game I just don’t get why they have to change the rules every year!
Team under the pump unable to get out of their 20. Go for a 20/40 or the defence will drop a few extra players back early allowing you to make more metres. If you have a good kicking Halfback then it's an option. Hunt kicked one when it was trialled.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm excited for the challenge system. Will save some teams from bottled decisions.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Team under the pump unable to get out of their 20. Go for a 20/40 or the defence will drop a few extra players back early allowing you to make more metres. If you have a good kicking Halfback then it's an option. Hunt kicked one when it was trialled.
The only way it could work is as a surprise tactic early in a tackle count and even then it's a huge risk as you'll turn over the ball in good field position if you get it wrong.

No one will drop anyone extra back on the fifth tackle because if you are behind the 20 metre line on the last it means you have been dominated in that set and you'll be just trying to get any kick away.

I doubt there will be any more then 5 a season and that is being optimistic.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The 20/40 is an absolutely horrendous idea. What’s next, a 10/50?

Any team trapped in their 20 should not be rewarded with a chance to kick their way out of it.

Rubbish.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 20/40 is an absolutely horrendous idea. What’s next, a 10/50?

Any team trapped in their 20 should not be rewarded with a chance to kick their way out of it.

Rubbish.
I agree. All these changes are slowly morphing the game into a boring repetitive one. All this to cover up the fact that the CEO and co are clueless.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Commission agreed that further limitations should be placed on the time orange and blue shirt trainers "could" spend on the field.
Why are they allowed on the field? I still don t get it. Why not have independent medics so to speak of to attend injuries, its the only way to stop the rort. Trainers shouldn't be anywhere near or influence the play of game ever.

Scrums - Just feed the scrum squarely. Make it fair. Why is there resistance to this, why have scrums degenerated into a joke? Either do it right or do away with them. Scrums in there current form are there for no other reason that I can see than to rest players. Moving scrums, 20/40. Id rather a fair scrum where the outcome could vary like it use to. Yes there was always an advantage to the team that gets the feed but it was exciting when the opposite team came up with the goods.

Instead of changing the game, why dont they fix it.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
20/40 will never happen in a game I just don’t get why they have to change the rules every year!
The NRL has been introducing continuous shit rule changes since time memorial, they are the perfectly example of a sinking ship, when your drowning you just grab at any thing (straws) to try to save yourself.
I love our club to death, and would gladly give my right arm for our club to get out of the NRL and find another team sport to get involved with.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Here we go again... the gift that keeps on giving...... rule changes.

Every year the NRL finds a way to make it harder for fans to follow and even harder for its officials who can't even get a lot of the existing rules right when they apply their interpretation of things.

Lol...... note that two of the rule changes were probably bought about by the fact there was such controversy in the 2019 GF. The Roosters will be the last team to benefit from at least two of the new rules....trainers on field, the recommencement of play from a mutual infringement.

The 20/40 rule and the ridiculous choice of position of the scrum if decided in 5 seconds... another rule now to be enforced by a stop clock....although Ben Cummins might have a problem with counting it out...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Get rid of scrums, that’s what’s needed.

not in favour of this new change lol.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Scrums are virtually unrecognisable to what they once were anyway. Many people these days wouldn't even be able to explain how the loose head and feed worked. For the benefit of those people, the loose head meant that the hooker from one team would be positioned on the side the ball was fed in to give them the first sight of the ball and the potential advantage of being able to rake the ball their way. The feed was the second advantage. When scrums were a competitive thing a team might get either the loose head and feed or only the loose head. They really made scrums a little pointless when they allowed teams to feed it into the second row. Now scrums are virtually just a time waster. It's just another aspect of the game where they've removed any semblance of competition.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Scrums are virtually unrecognisable to what they once were anyway. Many people these days wouldn't even be able to explain how the loose head and feed worked. For the benefit of those people, the loose head meant that the hooker from one team would be positioned on the side the ball was fed in to give them the first sight of the ball and the potential advantage of being able to rake the ball their way. The feed was the second advantage. When scrums were a competitive thing a team might get either the loose head and feed or only the loose head. They really made scrums a little pointless when they allowed teams to feed it into the second row. Now scrums are virtually just a time waster. It's just another aspect of the game where they've removed any semblance of competition.
Well said mate lol. That’s what I meant ;) saved me the typing lol !!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

They're a blight and their positioning on the field is only helpful to the attacking team feeding the scrum and the opposition have a man down injured and so they are disadvantaged defending with 6 in the scrum.

Can see that being exploited if the ref allows a quick scrum set and confusion. More ref rorting.

20/40 is rugby thinking. Perfect rule for Ricky Stuart....came in too late for him personally.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it will help a team that is having trouble getting out of their own 20 metre area; particularly if they have a man in the bin, and have been defending successive sets of six on their own line. A good kicker can get them another set, and ground advantage - and it means the opposition have to place someone out of their defensive line to counter the possibility of a 20/40 kick.