The "R U OK ?" Thread

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I have finished up work and spent the last 2 days getting drunk ( which I know I shouldn't have ) but it happens sometimes when I am having a downer. Problem is it makes me feel worse when I sober up. Anyhow, I have made the decision to give up alcohol all together now (and the fact I am out of work so have to be smarter with my money ) as it's only going to make things worse for me. I just have mixed feelings going on inside me and also stressing about things now I am unemployed. All I know is I need to stay away from alcohol, as my self hate is at a high right now a long with just stressing about the uncertainty of things. Tomorrow I'm hoping to update the old resume and start the process of searching for work. Though right now I feel burnt out as i have previously been pushing myself hard the last few months at work. Just feel mentally and physically drained.

Banned
Reaction score
So I have finished up work and spent the last 2 days getting drunk ( which I know I shouldn't have ) but it happens sometimes when I am having a downer. Problem is it makes me feel worse when I sober up. Anyhow, I have made the decision to give up alcohol all together now (and the fact I am out of work so have to be smarter with my money ) as it's only going to make things worse for me. I just have mixed feelings going on inside me and also stressing about things now I am unemployed. All I know is I need to stay away from alcohol, as my self hate is at a high right now a long with just stressing about the uncertainty of things. Tomorrow I'm hoping to update the old resume and start the process of searching for work. Though right now I feel burnt out as i have previously been pushing myself hard the last few months at work. Just feel mentally and physically drained.
Best of luck and hope the unemployment period is minimal.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best of luck and hope the unemployment period is minimal.
Cheers mate, me too. I just hate the whole process of searching for work. It's mentally draining I find.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ciggies now beer, your really going the whole hog.

I agree with the ciggies but beer would be too hard for me.

But I'm a weak man who cant give up all my vices so good luck, stick at it and I hope you score a new job quickly.

I know saying don't stress is useless from previous experience but on reflection I look around and there are heaps of people with far greater problems than me, so in a selfish way other peoples misfortune makes me feel better , I know it sounds bad but its true knowing that things could be worse.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ciggies now beer, your really going the whole hog.

I agree with the ciggies but beer would be too hard for me.

But I'm a weak man who cant give up all my vices so good luck, stick at it and I hope you score a new job quickly.

I know saying don't stress is useless from previous experience but on reflection I look around and there are heaps of people with far greater problems than me, so in a selfish way other peoples misfortune makes me feel better , I know it sounds bad but its true knowing that things could be worse.
I still haven't had a smoke and I won't. Beer will be harder as i enjoy it, but just like smokes I have to either keep doing it or give it up all together. Right now, giving away the alcohol I think is best for me. I need to get my head right, or at least lesson the impact that alcohol has on it. Right now I am a mixed bag of emotions and I just don't feel myself. Anyhow, thanks for the well wishes, I too hope to get back working asap.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Give yourself a break brother, with what you’ve been going through, a couple of nights on the drink is reasonable, I guess knowing how you’ll feel afterward is always hard to predict but ultimately alcohol is a depressant, so if your mood is already low, that just compounds it....but you didn’t need me to tell you that.

Is there any mundane style work you could apply for to just keep things ticking over while you sort yourself??

You’ll get there mate, hang in there and don’t look too far ahead and catastrophise things, make sure you’re getting some exercise, sunshine and sleep mate.

Take care brother...

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely struggling right now and i knew it would happen. I just feel like shit, just fidgeting all the time, feeling lost, can't sleep properly and my mind is just blah. Depressed and totally stressed and I hate it. Haven't had an episode this bad in a long time. On top of that I've got sore gums and teeth because I'm stressed i've been biting down and grinding on them. Sorry for the whinge but life continually keeps kicking me in the balls. Every time I get myself going well in life, something always happens to set me back 2 paces. Sorry guys I am just mentally wrecked, drained, and what ever else.

Banned
Reaction score
I'm definitely struggling right now and i knew it would happen. I just feel like shit, just fidgeting all the time, feeling lost, can't sleep properly and my mind is just blah. Depressed and totally stressed and I hate it. Haven't had an episode this bad in a long time. On top of that I've got sore gums and teeth because I'm stressed i've been biting down and grinding on them. Sorry for the whinge but life continually keeps kicking me in the balls. Every time I get myself going well in life, something always happens to set me back 2 paces. Sorry guys I am just mentally wrecked, drained, and what ever else.
Go see your GP mate.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Need to talk to someone face to face my man..help is out there..

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Don't ever fukken apologise dude.

Give Beyond Blue a call to at least get things off your chest. These guys are helpful and the best part I found is they don't know you and you don't have to see them. So after you hang up you don't need to worry about "oh shit what do they think of me now?" like you would with someone you know. Well that's how I saw it anyway.

Good luck with it all.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cheers for looking out. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for a majority of my life. I can usually keep it under control to some extent. But when situations like I'm dealing with now it can send me into a deep low which is where I have fallen too at the moment. Because of the combination of losing my job, not knowing what I am going to do, money worries, just plain stress out on top of being mentality and physically burnt out it was easy to have my depression take charge of me. I will fight the fight, just the climb is a bit higher out this time.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cheers for looking out. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for a majority of my life. I can usually keep it under control to some extent. But when situations like I'm dealing with now it can send me into a deep low which is where I have fallen too at the moment. Because of the combination of losing my job, not knowing what I am going to do, money worries, just plain stress out on top of being mentality and physically burnt out it was easy to have my depression take charge of me. I will fight the fight, just the climb is a bit higher out this time.
You been to a Dr yet bro ? Book yourself a double appointment and work on a plan .keep on here venting away if you need to chat or anything just shoot us a pm I'm usually up most nights staring into the fucking ceiling lol.dont let that anxiety shit creep in ,I don't know how many times it's pulled my pants down and fucked me. Keep fighting bit by bit

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
You been to a Dr yet bro ? Book yourself a double appointment and work on a plan .keep on here venting away if you need to chat or anything just shoot us a pm I'm usually up most nights staring into the fucking ceiling lol.dont let that anxiety shit creep in ,I don't know how many times it's pulled my pants down and fucked me. Keep fighting bit by bit
Cheers Southy,

Nah I haven't booked in yet. I was going to wait it out and see how I am next week. Pretty much just staying in bed at the moment as i am that burnt out. I'm still stuck in night shift mode so I'm up all night sleep all day, well attempt to sleep.

Don't worry, I'll keep fighting the fight.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Cheers Southy,

Nah I haven't booked in yet. I was going to wait it out and see how I am next week. Pretty much just staying in bed at the moment as i am that burnt out. I'm still stuck in night shift mode so I'm up all night sleep all day, well attempt to sleep.

Only choice you have bud..

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cheers Southy,

How you holding up brother?

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
How you holding up brother?
Hey Southy,

I've been a little better today. Tried to not think too much about things instead of the normal continuous over thinking I have been. Still not sleeping great and stuck in night shift mode. I'll be sitting up til earlier morning no doubt, which is a pain because it's night and you can't do anything so you are left with your thoughts.

I am just riding this week out and hoping next week will be a bit more proactive and I have some motivation. Thing is I can start feeling better then bang fall back into my depression. I have a feeling I'm going to be up and down for a while until I can get some control back into my life. All I can do is just take things as they come.

I've applied for a few jobs online, nothing I am really qualified for or worked in before but I gotta try, specially when jobs around my way are few and far between. I'm not going to get my hopes up.

I just cooked up a feed before so having some nice food in the belly helped me feel a little better too at the moment. Still feel mentally and physically drained though, but again I am hope by next week I'll have more energy.

Anyhow, thanks for checking in mate.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hey Southy,

I've been a little better today. Tried to not think too much about things instead of the normal continuous over thinking I have been. Still not sleeping great and stuck in night shift mode. I'll be sitting up til earlier morning no doubt, which is a pain because it's night and you can't do anything so you are left with your thoughts.

I am just riding this week out and hoping next week will be a bit more proactive and I have some motivation. Thing is I can start feeling better then bang fall back into my depression. I have a feeling I'm going to be up and down for a while until I can get some control back into my life. All I can do is just take things as they come.

I've applied for a few jobs online, nothing I am really qualified for or worked in before but I gotta try, specially when jobs around my way are few and far between. I'm not going to get my hopes up.

I just cooked up a feed before so having some nice food in the belly helped me feel a little better too at the moment. Still feel mentally and physically drained though, but again I am hope by next week I'll have more energy.

Hope things turn around son mate, don't let the "not thinking you are qualified" stop you from putting in. Sometimes experience and the will to learn is a good thing to an employer. Especially when you have decent referee.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Hey Southy,

Mate take Southy's advice go see your GP, I did 8 weeks ago for the very same issues. Best thing I could of done... Now on meds and feeling 100% I found talking helped heaps so keep dialling into this place and don't think you are alone because at the very least you have your Kennel family to look out for you (that should drive anyone crazy).
PS - I know I used this saying before but it gets me through "Stars shine through the darkness "
Chin up and keep well my friend.

Last edited:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't resort to pills unless it was a last resort... they can have terrible side effects... I never found any that worked for me without side effects that made me tired and irritable.... sometimes it's hard to get motivated when unemployed but I find short and long term goals help heaps... just being occupied stops the mind from wandering

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't resort to pills unless it was a last resort... they can have terrible side effects... I never found any that worked for me without side effects that made me tired and irritable.... sometimes it's hard to get motivated when unemployed but I find short and long term goals help heaps... just being occupied stops the mind from wandering
I've tried different anti depression pills before and found none that actually worked well for me.

I'm feeling a bit better as the week has gone on. Except for yesterday I smashed my phone screen by accident and fractured my hand so that sucks. When your lucks out it's out ain't it.