Willie Mason calls on current crop of Bulldogs players to start delivering on talent, potential

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Willie Mason knows potential when he sees it.

Which is why he is pumped about the future for his success-starved Canterbury Bulldogs, despite their youthful roster.

Mason was patrolling the sideline on Tuesday as the players were put through their paces on the punishing Wanda sand dunes in Cronulla.

The players were physically fatigued under the hot sun but pushed the pain aside to complete the task at hand.

Mason was heartened by the effort and believes the Bulldogs have the talent to climb up the ladder after three years without reaching the finals.

However, he said the excuses had to end now, especially from the more experienced players in the squad.

“If you have played 40 to 50 games, the honeymoon period is over and it is time to perform,” Mason said.

“It is why you are on an NRL roster, to play in the NRL and not to play reserve grade.

“I know what that feeling is like as a young player. You question yourself.

“But these guys with 40 games under their belt start to feel like they belong.

“The Bulldogs aren’t the sort of club that thinks, ‘let’s rebuild for five years’. They don’t do that because they want to win.

“The fans also expect that. I expect that as a fan of the club and a former player.

“There is pressure when it comes to playing for the Bulldogs. You need to perform and that is why they are trying to get as many ex-players involved to help.”

Coach Dean Pay wants his young Bulldogs to recapture the trademark toughness from the club’s glory years.

It was a no-brainer for Pay to reach out to club legends such as Mason, Mark O’Meley and Brent Sherwin after they helped build one of the most successful eras in Canterbury’s history.

“Dean called me about six weeks ago about his interest in getting a few players in from those dominant years in the early 2000s,” Mason said.

“He said what we did during that era is something that the current team really reflects on and wants to try to emulate.

“They want to get my mindset on how I approached games, the camaraderie and how we built that team.

“It was good to talk to some young kids and try and pass on the mentality we had during those successful years.”

The mid-2000s was the club’s second most dominant period behind the 1980s, when Canterbury went toe-to-toe with arch rivals Parramatta to claim four premierships.

With players such as Mason, Andrew Ryan, Matt Utai and Steve Price, the Bulldogs won the 2004 premiership and finished in the top three in four out of six seasons from 2001 to 2006.

They were one of the most successful clubs during that time alongside Brisbane, Melbourne and Manly.

Mason said the secret to the Bulldogs’ success was simple.

“There was just a mentality when you put that jersey on, you weren’t meant to lose,” he said.

“You were supposed to win, regardless of how many games you’d played, where you were from or whatever.

“That is what the current team is trying to get back to. In the next few seasons they will push for a top-eight spot.”

Mason is excited about the Bulldogs’ youthful promise.

“Just the size of the kids blew me away,” he said.

“Reimis Smith is six-foot-four, over 100kg and he is a winger.

“Lachlan Lewis is also a big kid for a halfback.

“We are only two weeks into pre-season, so a lot of players are going to put on more muscle and lose body fat.

“Have a look at some of these kids around February next year and they are going to be animals.”

Mason said recruitment, self-belief and a fast start were the keys to Canterbury having success next year.

“I was speaking to Dean about their attitude in the final 12 games compared to their first 12 when they were losing,” he said.

“It was just simplifying their game plan, completing at over 90 per cent, defending like their lives depended on it.

“When you don’t have the talent of the Roosters, for example, they must do all the little things well to win games.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/ba0b528a45f0a5e83bf28576c5032ec8

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Credit to Pay for getting these boys back involved in the club. Willie is spot on its time for the current crop to start delivering and the training wheels are off. We don’t have the talent to be premiership contenders but shitting the bed in the first 10 weeks again can’t be tolerated.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Board is in chaos, how dare Mase not push the rebuilding excuse!

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a bloody good move getting the boys from years gone by to help out, Sherwin especially will help so much with 5th tackle options and kicking plays, he was so good back then

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was a no-brainer for Pay to reach out to club legends such as Mason, Mark O’Meley and Brent Sherwin after they helped build one of the most successful eras in Canterbury’s history.
Fuck yeah

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Willie Mason knows potential when he sees it.

Which is why he is pumped about the future for his success-starved Canterbury Bulldogs, despite their youthful roster.

Mason was patrolling the sideline on Tuesday as the players were put through their paces on the punishing Wanda sand dunes in Cronulla.

The players were physically fatigued under the hot sun but pushed the pain aside to complete the task at hand.

Mason was heartened by the effort and believes the Bulldogs have the talent to climb up the ladder after three years without reaching the finals.

However, he said the excuses had to end now, especially from the more experienced players in the squad.

“If you have played 40 to 50 games, the honeymoon period is over and it is time to perform,” Mason said.

“It is why you are on an NRL roster, to play in the NRL and not to play reserve grade.

“I know what that feeling is like as a young player. You question yourself.

“But these guys with 40 games under their belt start to feel like they belong.

“The Bulldogs aren’t the sort of club that thinks, ‘let’s rebuild for five years’. They don’t do that because they want to win.

“The fans also expect that. I expect that as a fan of the club and a former player.

“There is pressure when it comes to playing for the Bulldogs. You need to perform and that is why they are trying to get as many ex-players involved to help.”

Coach Dean Pay wants his young Bulldogs to recapture the trademark toughness from the club’s glory years.

“Dean called me about six weeks ago about his interest in getting a few players in from those dominant years in the early 2000s,” Mason said.

“He said what we did during that era is something that the current team really reflects on and wants to try to emulate.

“They want to get my mindset on how I approached games, the camaraderie and how we built that team.

“It was good to talk to some young kids and try and pass on the mentality we had during those successful years.”

The mid-2000s was the club’s second most dominant period behind the 1980s, when Canterbury went toe-to-toe with arch rivals Parramatta to claim four premierships.

With players such as Mason, Andrew Ryan, Matt Utai and Steve Price, the Bulldogs won the 2004 premiership and finished in the top three in four out of six seasons from 2001 to 2006.

They were one of the most successful clubs during that time alongside Brisbane, Melbourne and Manly.

Mason said the secret to the Bulldogs’ success was simple.

“There was just a mentality when you put that jersey on, you weren’t meant to lose,” he said.

“You were supposed to win, regardless of how many games you’d played, where you were from or whatever.

“That is what the current team is trying to get back to. In the next few seasons they will push for a top-eight spot.”

Mason is excited about the Bulldogs’ youthful promise.

“Just the size of the kids blew me away,” he said.

“Reimis Smith is six-foot-four, over 100kg and he is a winger.

“Lachlan Lewis is also a big kid for a halfback.

“We are only two weeks into pre-season, so a lot of players are going to put on more muscle and lose body fat.

“Have a look at some of these kids around February next year and they are going to be animals.”

Mason said recruitment, self-belief and a fast start were the keys to Canterbury having success next year.

“I was speaking to Dean about their attitude in the final 12 games compared to their first 12 when they were losing,” he said.

“It was just simplifying their game plan, completing at over 90 per cent, defending like their lives depended on it.

“When you don’t have the talent of the Roosters, for example, they must do all the little things well to win games.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/ba0b528a45f0a5e83bf28576c5032ec8
Good to hear. But the last quote about completing at 90% etc is all well and good if you can score points

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: and it’s in motion now..... get ready dogs fans!!

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is music to my ears. Excellent decision by Pay. Hope the boys stick around and help out for the season and seasons ahead

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
As well as some of the old boys coming back I’d hope the crowds will come back in 2020 too. Sure, people wanna watch a winning team but the boys need our support in good times and bad and there’s nothing like a rowdy crowd to get them motivated and charging forward.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Good to hear. But the last quote about completing at 90% etc is all well and good if you can score points
We had the best completion rate in the comp this season LOL. Roosters were equal worst. Completion is sort of an irrelevant stat these days, you could do very little with the ball (like us) and apply no pressure at all on the defence. On the other hand you could make multiple errors but if you're applying pressure on the defence consistently then that's going to lead to more opportunities.

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the problem is we don't have much talent mainly reserve grade players and no one who can bust a line of defence

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Pumped to see how agressive the accountant tolman plays after willie gets in his ear lol

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s great stuff from big Willie just some no nonsense straight talking is what these guys need sometimes
I know he along with the rest of us are sick of this ridiculous situation
It’s time to fire up on the field or get out,our standard has to be higher and not extend contracts any further unless warranted
No more softly approach Deano,give them a rocket
Further to this we had 18,300 members this year
We should get to 20,000 next year no problem,season tickets are very affordable
Get to the games