Why the Dogs?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sometimes we all get a little bit lost in all of the debate on this page and forget that we're all Bulldog supporters and ultimately we all want one thing. To get back to the winning and glory days of the mighty Blue & White!

It's clear from looking at everyone's comments that we're all passionate supporters, and I honestly think that Bulldog fans are the best in Australia as we've literally gone through more than any other fanbase. Whether it be the Super League years, salary cap scandals, off the field incidents etc. etc. we've always had it tough. But we've stuck with the club through it all.

Personally my family grew up in Greenacre so there wasn't a choice really with who to choose. Dogs or nothing. But those early years at Belmore. Getting into the sheds after the game. Meeting players. Lamb's farewell cricket game. Those backs-against-the-wall finals wins. Watching the '95 final at the ground. Everything about the Dogs made me fall in love with them, and I'm sure you all share the same story.

We all want what's best for the club. Let's just try to be patient with it all as good things are on the horizon. If they're not I'll join in the chorus of complaints but until then I'm going to remember why I fell in love with this club and smile that I'm finally starting to get that feeling back from the club ... slowly :grinning:)

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Good post .
My dad was always a dogs fan, despite the fact his father was a Balmain fan...
I'm Kempsey born and bred so yeah ever since I was old enough to understand footy I've always been on the Doggies wagon, pretty much started in 2001 when I was 9. Loved the sides in those days and idolized Hazem.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As little kids, whoever won the GF, we’d go for that team until the next GF. We were living on the North Coast and there were only Sydney teams. But for some reason when the boys won in ‘80, I stuck with them.

Maybe I just couldn’t bring myself to support the Eels idk. I’ve been going for them for so long, There’s a reason to hate all the other teams

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome post..!!

it actually means something to be a Bulldogs supporter :hearteyes:and I have for the last 33 years as was my old man before me.. he wasn’t die hard but out of the 16 teams that’s the team he would go for... and for me, I started watching with him when I was 5 1986x and never looked back,it just stuck.!!! And the rest is history.

blue an white forever...!!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Appreciate the overall message you are advocating Steve.

Something toxic has overcome TK of late.

We all love the club. There has always been bs, insults, bravado, unrealist expectations, do gooders, smarties you name it on here. But there was usually a decent level of understanding of fans need to come on here to vent their frustrations, disappointments, rage at refs or pure joy at our successes.

That was lost of late.

Posters sniped at one another for, it seemed to me, no other reason than to pull the pin, throw in the hand grenade and sit back smugly laughing to enjoy the ensuing chaos.

It got to the utter depths to cast aspersions on a man's wife's morals.

The Kennel is a facility for fans to come together. Our fan base is a diverse cross section of our community. There will be differing views on our progress, or lack of. There will be controversy...it's the Dogs!

There will be fans critical of the Board, the CEO, the coach, the players, the refs, the NRLol, the gossip hounds, the stadiums, Murdoch.....the hot dog guy...but its up to us to post on here with some level of self control both in what you say and also in what you reply.

Whether you are a glass half full or glass half empty kinda fan, have some level of self management of your post because this site is open to the public and also show respect to your fellow supporters points of view when you respond.

Apologies and rant over.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Good one Steve! Good topic...

My mum was born and raised in Belmore so similar to you, ever since I can remember, there really was no choice.

My dad is from country NSW and when he moved to Sydney to work he first moved to Lidcombe, so started paying some interest in the Magpies. When he and mum got serious she told him ‘I could only ever marry a Bulldogs supporter’ (only half in jest!) - he saw the light, starting following the Dogs and the rest is history. I told that story to Terry Lamb saying ‘you might appreciate this having played for both clubs’ - his response: ‘shit mate, pressure!’ :-)

I was born in Newcastle but with mums family in Sydney spent plenty of the early years in Sydney and went to Belmore countless times to watch the Dogs with the old red rattler trains slowing down to go past with people hanging out the doors... One day when I was about 7, I was dressed in every conceivable Bulldogs item for a game at Belmore (trackies, shirt, beanie, scarf, socks, flag, you name it). Pretty sure I even bought my pie that day by opening a Bulldogs wallet to get money :-) A Dragons supporter on the hill said to me ‘who do you go for mate?’ to which I shot back ‘The Bulldogs!’ not realising at that young age the art of taking the piss...

There were no phones so people actually talked to each other, no online betting, no Foxtel so if it wasn’t the ‘big game’ of the round on TV, you didn’t see it - hence people generally went to the game more.

I left Newcastle before the Knights existed. When I moved to my new school in Sydney - on my first day a bunch of young blokes surrounded me and said ‘hey mate, what footy team do you support?’ Most of them were Parra fans and groaned when I said the Dogs. One fella in that group nodded his head and said ‘nice’. More than 30 years later we are still mates and still go to games together, now passing on our Bulldogs passion to our own kids.

So it’s only ever been and will always be the Dogs for me - if you cut me I’d bleed blue and white!

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
My dad is a manly supporter and my mum bulldogs so I supported both. As I got older I found out my dad was actually a bulldogs supporter but changed his allegiance as he had the shits at bullfrog for cutting him from their jersey Flegg side in the 70s. In the 1998 finals series He told me deep down he was still a bulldogs supporter and that was it for me...

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Born 1948 in Ardee Hospital, just over the line from Belmore Oval; and grew up in Belmore. Back in those days, you could get in free after half time of the main game- which was great, as we were not a well off family.
Mainly convict stock. My forebears were the first settlers in Punchbowl - Bonds Road is named after them; and they are interred in the local St.Saviours churchyard. So my roots are strong for the area.

All the scandals and troubles only strengthened my support.

Was at the SCG when we ended the Dragon's 11 year run, and met a beautiful young woman in the Sheridan stand who agreed to go out with me. We are still happily married.
I also follow Carlton (played Aussie Rules for McCallums Hill and Penshurst) , and West Ham (when I was living in London).

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the overall message you are advocating Steve.

Something toxic has overcome TK of late.

We all love the club. There has always been bs, insults, bravado, unrealist expectations, do gooders, smarties you name it on here. But there was usually a decent level of understanding of fans need to come on here to vent their frustrations, disappointments, rage at refs or pure joy at our successes.

That was lost of late.

Posters sniped at one another for, it seemed to me, no other reason than to pull the pin, throw in the hand grenade and sit back smugly laughing to enjoy the ensuing chaos.

It got to the utter depths to cast aspersions on a man's wife's morals.

The Kennel is a facility for fans to come together. Our fan base is a diverse cross section of our community. There will be differing views on our progress, or lack of. There will be controversy...it's the Dogs!

There will be fans critical of the Board, the CEO, the coach, the players, the refs, the NRLol, the gossip hounds, the stadiums, Murdoch.....the hot dog guy...but its up to us to post on here with some level of self control both in what you say and also in what you reply.

Whether you are a glass half full or glass half empty kinda fan, have some level of self management of your post because this site is open to the public and also show respect to your fellow supporters points of view when you respond.

Apologies and rant over.
When I joined the Kennel, I decided to use my real name because I'm prepared to stand by every word I say here. For me, it's the equivalent of talking to others face to face. I think it brings a level of decency and respect to people. Too easy to be nasty when you're anonymous.
l

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
When I joined the Kennel, I decided to use my real name because I'm prepared to stand by every word I say here. For me, it's the equivalent of talking to others face to face. I think it brings a level of decency and respect to people. Too easy to be nasty when you're anonymous.
l
Good one. Yes I did too but got it flung in my face with incidious threatening "we know where you live" type posts...it felt like that at least.

Most people don't realise the level of intimidation that's been going on in here. Either publicly or pm's.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great thread Steve...

I grew up in the area also, living in Canterbury, Condell Park and Revesby... All of my family are Saints fans but my Grandmother and I went for the dogs. My earliest memory is when I was 5 and we were in the 88 GF against Balmain and watched the game as a family back when Graeme Hughes was commentating on channel 10 and you had the "State Bank replay" for the games....

Some of the best games I went to was a semi against St.George in the rain which was maybe 94 which we won...

And the best of all was the 98 GF qualifier against Parra when we made that massive comeback and won easily in extra time. We were right in line with Halligans conversions, Paul Carige's chip and chance from his own in goal and then Polly's 50 metre field goal which just went under the crossbar...

axeman23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was born in Auburn, so location-wise it was either Parra or the Dogs. But my favourite colour was always blue, and I always loved the look of Bulldogs, even before I had a real interest in footy. Compare that to the slimy, toothy sea creature that is the Eel, supporting the Dogs was a natural fit.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely great post Steve
For me there was no other team but the dogs mate,
Grew up in heart land Canterbury and attended the local primary school
My senior years spent at Canterbury Boys
Best memories back then was going to Belmore and being at the 1980 GF
I have lived in the dreaded shire for 30 years now but will always bleed blue and white

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I was born Macleay Hospital Redmond Parade.

Both sets of grandparents mad Berries fans so both large families were fanatics. Uncles, Aunties, all their kids.

Thats all died out now. Family moved away and their kids supporting other teams or not following NRLol.

I think thats why I'm so worried and express it in my posts. If we don't have x factor players or play a winning style of footy we won't get new fans coming through to support the club. (I was dead set frantic with DIB/DES/RAE running the show).

I can see light at the end of the tunnel IF it all goes to plan.

You may remember I'm the fan who had people laughing and snickering at my mothers memorial service at her aged care home. She had dementia and her only enjoyment, didnt even recognise us, was watching the Bulldogs on tv when our games were televised.

Her family funeral was good where her love for her team was lovingly acknowledged.

But at the aged care home that love was snickered at and the master of ceremonies said Dorothy loved the Bulldogs...audience snickered....then she said "you wonder why".

I was angry of course but so broken that her love for the team was so disrespected.

That day after I got home, I jumped on here and the wonderful support I got from like minded sympathetic fans helped me to get over it.

I've been long winded but my story is just a small one in the Bulldogs family and why I've stayed on during all the nastiness, in the memory of that kind of Bulldogs comraderie.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
My parents met at a Belmore game... my dad is from Doonside but became a doggies man through my pop, and my mum was raised in Bankstown/East Hills... my whole childhood was based around the Doggies... going to watch the junior grades into the FG games at Belmore... kicking the shit out of random objects when we would lose grand finals..

my sister started supporting the Knights when we were kids because she had a crush on Joey... she decked the house out for one of the few grand finals they made... ever since then I have absolutely hated the Knights! my brother is a traitor also.. he supports the Sharts

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My parents met at a Belmore game... my dad is from Doonside but became a doggies man through my pop, and my mum was raised in Bankstown/East Hills... my whole childhood was based around the Doggies... going to watch the junior grades into the FG games at Belmore... kicking the shit out of random objects when we would lose grand finals..

my sister started supporting the Knights when we were kids because she had a crush on Joey... she decked the house out for one of the few grand finals they made... ever since then I have absolutely hated the Knights! my brother is a traitor also.. he supports the Sharts
BRILLIANT!! Parents who MET at a Dogs game at Belmore! Never heard that before - you simply cannot get more Bulldogs than that! My kudos to them. Outstanding...

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

That’s a nice story Mr Moon
Just out of curiosity do you still have a relationship with your siblings
I tend to distance myself from non- Bulldog supporters
Especially family members lol

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Great post Steve!

My dad went to Canterbury boys high and I am a bulldogs supporter because he was.

The sunday before he died I watched the win against St George 25th August 2018. While his attention was wandering a bit during the game we both really enjoyed watching that big win after a long hard season.

My brother David is somehow is a Roosters fan but the three of us watched countless bulldogs games live over the years including the 2004 grand final. Dad & I were also in attendance at the 1984 victory.

I love the mighty Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs just like my dad.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sometimes we all get a little bit lost in all of the debate on this page and forget that we're all Bulldog supporters and ultimately we all want one thing. To get back to the winning and glory days of the mighty Blue & White!

It's clear from looking at everyone's comments that we're all passionate supporters, and I honestly think that Bulldog fans are the best in Australia as we've literally gone through more than any other fanbase. Whether it be the Super League years, salary cap scandals, off the field incidents etc. etc. we've always had it tough. But we've stuck with the club through it all.

Personally my family grew up in Greenacre so there wasn't a choice really with who to choose. Dogs or nothing. But those early years at Belmore. Getting into the sheds after the game. Meeting players. Lamb's farewell cricket game. Those backs-against-the-wall finals wins. Watching the '95 final at the ground. Everything about the Dogs made me fall in love with them, and I'm sure you all share the same story.

We all want what's best for the club. Let's just try to be patient with it all as good things are on the horizon. If they're not I'll join in the chorus of complaints but until then I'm going to remember why I fell in love with this club and smile that I'm finally starting to get that feeling back from the club ... slowly :grinning:)
Love your bit Steve. Just reading some of the posts is one of the reasons i am so proud to be a doggies supporter. No wonder we have the best and most passionate supporters. Doggies for ever