Official Raiders sign Curtis Scott

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tough decision for Scott. Go to the Raiders a team who will be challenging for the premiership next season. Or join us - a team who will be in a wooden spoon battle.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meh.. Raiders are shit... made a GF in a soft year but will soon be back where they belong

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Geez if that was a soft year we are well
And truly fucked
Well I don't know about you, but I thought it was pretty clear that there were was only 4 contenders from early on..Roosters clearly the team to beat..Souths dropped the ball and Storm were a few marquee players short than they usually are.

We played most of the year with a very young/inexperienced squad so I'm not worried so long as the boys take their end of season form into the new season

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Well I don't know about you, but I thought it was pretty clear that there were was only 4 contenders from early on..Roosters clearly the team to beat..Souths dropped the ball and Storm were a few marquee players short than they usually are.

We played most of the year with a very young/inexperienced squad so I'm not worried so long as the boys take their end of season form into the new season
Im not disputing that a few teams stood out ahead. Though again if it was a soft year we got trounced by numerous teams. Including teams like the warriors eels Dragons (twice) broncos, that weren’t listed in those teams to begin with.

I also heard that story in 2018 but we opened 2019 the same as we did 2018. I’m not being negative (nor being a smart arse to you just explaining in detail) though I don’t look at a patches of games. We also lost a key figure to that run for the entire season in Foran.

The season overall was woeful. A few games to End the season doesn’t change that unfortunately as proven this year.

Last edited:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im not disputing that a few teams stood out ahead. Though again if it was a soft year we got trounced by numerous teams. Including teams like the warriors eels Dragons (twice) broncos, that weren’t listed in those teams to begin with.

I also heard that story in 2018 but we opened 2019 the same as we did 2018. I’m not being negative (nor being a smart arse to you just explaining in detail) though I don’t look at a patches of games.

The season overall was woeful. A few games to End the season doesn’t change that unfortunately as proven this year.
difference for mine is, that in 2018 nothing really changed bar throwing caution to the wind... where as this year, the team showed major signs of improvement in many areas... and learnt to win in different scenarios, and individuals improved massively... it was a better year than what anybody predicted... I don't even want to imagine what the outcome would have been if certain other clubs went into a season with the same amount of youth and inexperience/ so many new combinations

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Unfortunately that’s not really good enough to compete for anything. That’s us just looking for anything to be positive about because the recruitment is woeful.

Then the other side of the coin is it took how long to see Renouf given a chance consistently? Rfm?
Even Ogden had great games and then blokes like Elliott or sue or smith who has howlers too where picked week in week out.

I hate to say it but I think holland and
Montoya will see more first grade again. Terrible I know but just facing what’s been shown.
I know it's not good enough. But we can't do anything about it.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
difference for mine is, that in 2018 nothing really changed bar throwing caution to the wind... where as this year, the team showed major signs of improvement in many areas... and learnt to win in different scenarios, and individuals improved massively... it was a better year than what anybody predicted... I don't even want to imagine what the outcome would have been if certain other clubs went into a season with the same amount of youth and inexperience/ so many new combinations
I disagree. A lot on here said the same thing about making the 8. Lichaa was going to be the next goat based on his end of season form for 2018.

Lewis regressed this season, not improved on his 2018 form either.

Holland and smith has a good end of season form on 2018 and partnership. Was broken up and holland was woeful.

The only thing that saved us from ending with the spoon was Dwz and Foran in my opinion.

Foran is gone for the season. Our biggest weakness has not been improved both with the fact we can’t score Points long or short range (losing Foran will only hurt this as while
He’s a injury prone nightmare he is also our best option by a long way). We also have still got nothing improving our backline without hoping a kid forces his way into the lineup and explodes. Again not something we can realistically really rely on. Which means montoya and holland will see first grade sadly.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I disagree. A lot on here said the same thing about making the 8. Lichaa was going to be the next goat based on his end of season form for 2018.

Lewis regressed this season, not improved on his 2018 form either.

Holland and smith has a good end of season form on 2018 and partnership. Was broken up and holland was woeful.

The only thing that saved us from ending with the spoon was Dwz and Foran in my opinion.

Foran is gone for the season. Our biggest weakness has not been improved both with the fact we can’t score Points long or short range (losing Foran will only hurt this as while
He’s a injury prone nightmare he is also our best option by a long way). We also have still got nothing improving our backline without hoping a kid forces his way into the lineup and explodes. Again not something we can realistically really rely on. Which means montoya and holland will see first grade sadly.

too much negativity... let's just agree to disagree... I'm looking forward to seeing us play finals footy next year but you've obviously got us as spooners..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
too much negativity... let's just agree to disagree... I'm looking forward to seeing us play finals footy next year but you've obviously got us as spooners..
Our expectations should be second last. We can do better tho just like the previous two seasons. It's a lot more likely we get the spoon than play finals football. I hate to say it but we need to have realistic expectations. That isn't being negative.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our expectations should be second last. We can do better tho just like the previous two seasons. It's a lot more likely we get the spoon than play finals football. I hate to say it but we need to have realistic expectations.

I do have realistic expectations... I expect we will pick up where we left off (latter part of the season).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I do have realistic expectations... I expect we will pick up where we left off (latter part of the season).
I was a lot more optimistic at the start of this year and I got burned hard (a big reason why I found these forums). I don't think finals football is realistic and I think you're placing the bar too high for disappointment. I'd rather run with where the bookies have us personally (second last) as well as my own interpretation - because of this I think we can avoid the bottom four again, heart over head. Nothing is 100% so even if we have a 0.01% chance of winning the premiership next year until we're mathematically out of contention that should be our mentality (similar to when DWZ came out and said he thinks we can win all of our remaining games, before we went on our win streak - I also saw countless people on these forums flaming him for saying that). Each to their own tho.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was a lot more optimistic at the start of this year and I got burned hard (a big reason why I found these forums). I don't think finals football is realistic and I think you're placing the bar too high for disappointment. I'd rather run with where the bookies have us personally (second last) as well as my own interpretation - because of this I think we can avoid the bottom four again, heart over head. Nothing is 100% so even if we have a 0.01% chance of winning the premiership next year until we're mathematically out of contention that should be our mentality (similar to when DWZ came out and said he thinks we can win all of our remaining games, before we went on our win streak - I also saw countless people on these forums flaming him for saying that). Each to their own tho.

This year we were a fairly new squad with a very inexperienced spine.. it was always going to be tough... but as the year went on, they started playing better together as a team and most importantly, working as a unit in defence... I'm not setting any bars too high.. if we keep doing what we were doing at the back end of the year we are better than all the other bottom 8 teams, and some of the teams from 4th to 8th... It's not that great of a challenge like some of you are making out.. if we started our run a few weeks earlier we probably would have made the 8 this yr

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
This year we were a fairly new squad with a very inexperienced spine.. it was always going to be tough... but as the year went on, they started playing better together as a team and most importantly, working as a unit in defence... I'm not setting any bars too high.. if we keep doing what we were doing at the back end of the year we are better than all the other bottom 8 teams, and some of the teams from 4th to 8th... It's not that great of a challenge like some of you are making out.. if we started our run a few weeks earlier we probably would have made the 8 this yr

And if Foran didn’t play the last few games we probz got the spoon like we had most the year.

If your or my Aunty had balls she would be an uncle.

Lots of ifs. Though fact is our season was woeful. No positive spin to that.

You see it as negativity I see it being realistic, there’s a reason bookies have us so low.

I am all for your optimistic outlook. It’s great mate though I’m also realistic.

We haven’t improved our rosters biggest issue, our best addition is a fringe backrower, we lost one of our best players for the year (we don’t have many good either at that) other rosters be it from new additions, returns of players who are quality who missed large chunks of the season and coaching improvements e.g Flanagan at dragons, Holbrook at titans.

I hope your right, I hope we make the 8. Though your key thing about the spine has to factor in Foran is gone for the year.
He was a huge part of our wins.
I dare say him and Dwz where our most vital.

I look forward to seeing how accurate our
Views and the bookies are for the season. They weren’t far off this season with us.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We ain't signing shit until late next season, were broke and unless players accept shopper dockets nothing will change.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
And if Foran didn’t play the last few games we probz got the spoon like we had most the year.

If your or my Aunty had balls she would be an uncle.

Lots of ifs. Though fact is our season was woeful. No positive spin to that.

You see it as negativity I see it being realistic, there’s a reason bookies have us so low.

I am all for your optimistic outlook. It’s great mate though I’m also realistic.

We haven’t improved our rosters biggest issue, our best addition is a fringe backrower, we lost one of our best players for the year (we don’t have many good either at that) other rosters be it from new additions, returns of players who are quality who missed large chunks of the season and coaching improvements e.g Flanagan at dragons, Holbrook at titans.

I hope your right, I hope we make the 8. Though your key thing about the spine has to factor in Foran is gone for the year.
He was a huge part of our wins.
I dare say him and Dwz where our most vital.

I look forward to seeing how accurate our
Views and the bookies are for the season. They weren’t far off this season with us.

Defence is what won us games.. Of course Kieran played his role... I just think there will be a lot more confidence going into next season as a team.. this year half the guys hadn't played fg together before... and much of the team as we've mentioned had barely played any fg in general... you're entitled to your opinion regarding the season, but for mine I actually think it was a success... there are plenty of clubs who have been in similar situations in which they have barely won any games, and we were not tipped to win a single game, let alone finishing above teams that could easily have been in the top 8 if they pulled their fingers out..

how can you say Holbrook is an improvement when he has no NRL experience? I think Pay is doing a good job anyway, given the shitstorm that was handed to him... we can talk about our attack but it's hard when the only experienced guy in the spine is rarely available, but the way that players respond to him, eg To'Omaga, RFM, CHN, suggests to me that Dean is a good coach... he could have easily lost the dressing room at the beginning of the season, but instead he got a response, and subsequent results

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Defence is what won us games.. Of course Kieran played his role... I just think there will be a lot more confidence going into next season as a team.. this year half the guys hadn't played fg together before... and much of the team as we've mentioned had barely played any fg in general... you're entitled to your opinion regarding the season, but for mine I actually think it was a success... there are plenty of clubs who have been in similar situations in which they have barely won any games, and we were not tipped to win a single game, let alone finishing above teams that could easily have been in the top 8 if they pulled their fingers out..

how can you say Holbrook is an improvement when he has no NRL experience? I think Pay is doing a good job anyway, given the shitstorm that was handed to him... we can talk about our attack but it's hard when the only experienced guy in the spine is rarely available, but the way that players respond to him, eg To'Omaga, RFM, CHN, suggests to me that Dean is a good coach... he could have easily lost the dressing room at the beginning of the season, but instead he got a response, and subsequent results
I agree with basically everything written here but I also think we overachieved last season (I'm also not #PAYout).

Just looking at the ladder: Warriors - basically the same as last year, Cowboys - massive additions, also under performed last year, Dragons - under performed last year, Titans - basically the same as last year but rumoured to have enough money for Latrell or a player alike. I can't make a case why we're going to do better then Tigers (seem on the up), Panthers and Knights. I'd say both the Panthers and Knights unperformed last/during the season for different reasons.

On paper we're one of the worst, if not the worst, side(s) in the NRL. I personally think we're playing 2-3m under the cap (back ended deals, paying players to play elsewhere). It's going to be a very tough season. It's hard for me being a realist to ask for much more then finishing above the Titans and Warriors (and the Warriors are a side that can be anything going of history).

Last edited:

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi mate

I never make it personal, I normally generalize on here
I don't have an issue with back ending contracts. As long as we're not misjudging the salary cap growth at the same time it isn't comparable to when we got done. If we're not doing that then what are we spending our salary cap on for 2021? It's clear we're not signing anyone unless something changes very quickly. I'm not sure if you're having a dig at me or the board.