Desperate bulldogs to scour the globe for talent

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats a great post. But I dont think Bulldogs identity is about being a one club dyed in the wool Bulldog who came up thru our juniors and has some kind of distant blood relationship to a Lamb, Mortimer, Hughes, Anderson, Folkes etc. (sorry for you younger guys Sherwin, Elmasri, Steve Price etc.).

Its about buying into "it" while they are here and wear our colours and club emblem and call themselves a Bulldog.
Good example of that I think is Bobcat Ryan, he left a very good Parramatta team and his best mates to come to the Bulldogs and by the time he left he was Bulldogs through and through.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good example of that I think is Bobcat Ryan, he left a very good Parramatta team and his best mates to come to the Bulldogs and by the time he left he was Bulldogs through and through.
Different generation mate, Andrew Ryan wasnt an “entitled” millennial like the generation of League players coming up

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats a great post. But I dont think Bulldogs identity is about being a one club dyed in the wool Bulldog who came up thru our juniors and has some kind of distant blood relationship to a Lamb, Mortimer, Hughes, Anderson, Folkes etc. (sorry for you younger guys Sherwin, Elmasri, Steve Price etc.).

Its about buying into "it" while they are here and wear our colours and club emblem and call themselves a Bulldog.
Would coach Pay ever pick playeys that arent "buying" into it?

If coach Pay only picks players that are buying into it then it means all the FGers in our team fit your definition of Bulldogs identity..

But if coach Pay is picking players that arent buying into it.. then that maybe a problem and will go against what Lynne Anderson wants..

I think Bulldogs identity, Bulldogs DNA is all catchphrases.. Sport is professional these days, and the very good players play great and can win you games, not just because they are necessarily Bulldogs DNA but it can be because they are just highly motivated professional athletes that want to succeed in their careers ..

Last edited:

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Some of you blokes on here need to take some time out and hit a few bars, enjoy yourselves and hopefully jag yourselves a root.
Fucken aye! Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember this headline, it was last year. It was one of these “open letters” about the bulldogs plans moving forward.

“UNABLE to sign a marquee player for the next two to three seasons due to their salary cap debacle, Canterbury will embark on a worldwide hunt for the most promising juniors playing rugby league and rugby union”

I can recall the article about the dogs looking at starting nurseries in Fiji, png, and looking for the best up and coming talent overseas..

well let’s fast forward 18months now.

we’ve been in png for 8yrs, and all we do is community service work, YAY!! And all we got to show for it was a dud named rhys Martin, yet Souths sign gebbie, and manly sign their best hooker in png who anihilated Great Britain.

start a junior nursery in Fiji ay? Well it looks like we won’t be doing that either! As sharks just signed up with the Fijian silktails who will now be a feeder club to the sharks from the nsw cup.

before the usual call me a board basher, i have never gone on the kennel and criticised the board about not signing big name players, they keep referring to 2021, ok if that’s what they say... I will give them that much.

The “open letter” from Lynne was disgusting, our board is outdated and still stuck in the 1990s, with lines of “we want players with bulldogs identity”
“We wasn’t hard working players”
“We are a family club and will support foran”

So far all I have seen from our club representatives is a small club mentality.

our recent player retention is quite embarrassing...

to resign Chris smith, Lachlan Lewis, Renouf Toumaga, Marcelo montoya, Adam idiot (watch this space, he’s next) aiden tolman.... yes aiden tolman...

I asked someone close to the club this question yesterday... 2021 is meant to be our season to spend yes, and his response was yes, my next question was well what’s with all the one year extensions to players that many clubs would deem surplus to requirements... to my surprise he had no convincing answer... quite alarming.

St George are advertising in the leader for a new ceo, I found that amusing until I recalled that our club can’t even scoop up a major sponsor and is using linked In, I though Andrew hill had all the contacts...

forget 2021 and major signings, there is so much more that I believe needs to be answered for, and all we get as fans is a cheap corny letter from Lynne spilling garbage from the beginning of 2017 again...

Tfehhh
Go and pull your soggy scotch finger out of your cold coffee you pessimistic grumpy ****! Show a bit of faith and patience ffs!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck off dumb ****
Still a day or two until your period ends? Will have Lynne send you a pack of Libra fluers with wings, courtesy of harden the fuck up, we don’t want you leaking out the sides of your panties!

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still a day or two until your period ends? Will have Lynne send you a pack of Libra fluers with wings, courtesy of harden the fuck up, we don’t want you leaking out the sides of your panties!
What a loser, how upset do you get Hahahah... poor poor loser

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

If coach Pay only picks players that are buying into it then it means all the FGers in our team fit your definition of Bulldogs identity..

But if coach Pay is picking players that arent buying into it.. then that maybe a problem and will go against what Lynne Anderson wants..

I think Bulldogs identity, Bulldogs DNA is all catchphrases.. Sport is professional these days, and the very good players play great and can win you games, not just because they are necessarily Bulldogs DNA but it can be because they are just highly motivated professional athletes that want to succeed in their careers ..
Yeah.. I don't really care what side of the Pay or Anderson fence you sit on and the "professional Athlete " line is just as big a crock as the DNA line loosely rolled out by some. My point is anyone that wants to play for this club has to fit into it's plan and culture. It's not purely a bulldog thing, the Eels had it for a long time in the eighties the broncos in the 90,s and now the storm. Other teams like the roosters/rabbits have had success but for different reasons. All sucessful ventures/business's have a plan, and they might tinker with it but they never sway away from it.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought we’d all be used to broken promises by now.
Surely the 2 prems by 2020 gave it away.
And the scouring the globe

very very hard sell the bulldogs atm
Not being negative
It’s the truth

they don’t have a major sponsor
Hence them advertising for it and still pushing it through junior circles

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Not being negative
It’s the truth

She can start by bringing back the multicultural days with Some Suvlaki while we watch the Malaki..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
She can start by bringing back the multicultural days with Some Suvlaki while we watch the Malaki..
With a side of fence palings haha

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Not being negative
It’s the truth

Do you have any doubts about them being returned.

If no one of any real substance, or popularity, stands, then I think they are safe in 2020.

It's hard to judge this Board. Been up against it righting the wrongs but don't really seem to have any heavy hitters that make you feel confident real success will follow. I thought Dunn would be more prominent actually.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Do you have any doubts about them being returned.

If no one of any real substance, or popularity, stands, then I think they are safe in 2020.

It's hard to judge this Board. Been up against it righting the wrongs but don't really seem to have any heavy hitters that make you feel confident real success will follow. I thought Dunn would be more prominent actually.
One of the challenges in my view is the politics between leagues and football club boards. It’s always been there but in recent years seems more competitive over co-operative or complimentary. Dunn sits on both, as does Ballesty and until February, S. Mortimer, who after that will only sit on the leagues club board. I don’t see how anyone of prominence is necessarily going to change the political landscape. The leagues club really should only be concerned about the financial welfare of the football club as they provide so much funding. They should stay away from the football program, but I suspect they’re not...

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I reckon the catch-phrases are more a marketing strategy for the fans around the traditional family club identity. I don't mind if the club keeps doing that but as you say, it's much harder to build that sense of deep club spirit in players these days with the club-hopping merry-go-round. Bennett's method of encouraging players to find whatever motivation they can to be the best they can wherever they are at the time, is best for them.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
One of the challenges in my view is the politics between leagues and football club boards. It’s always been there but in recent years seems more competitive over co-operative or complimentary. Dunn sits on both, as does Ballesty and until February, S. Mortimer, who after that will only sit on the leagues club board. I don’t see how anyone of prominence is necessarily going to change the political landscape. The leagues club really should only be concerned about the financial welfare of the football club as they provide so much funding. They should stay away from the football program, but I suspect they’re not...
The football Board control (virtually) the Leagues Board I thought. At least hold the balance of power.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That's fair - I didn't think about Christmas.
I'm more concerned with feeling pity for anyone who unwraps an Eels jersey - poor bastards!
Haha true, they actually fixed their jerseys this season though. No more fluro yellow on the Alland logo its black and white now.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The football Board control (virtually) the Leagues Board I thought. At least hold the balance of power.
4 seats to 3, so yes, technically a majority, but that doesn't remove the politics nor the cross-over.
A couple of years ago Peponis, then Chairing the Leagues Club board attempted (legally within the NSW Clubs Act) to create 2 additional seats on the Football Club board to gain a majority.
This become null and void when the Andersons won 6 of the 7 seats on the Football Club board in Feb 2018.
Very political...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Haha true, they actually fixed their jerseys this season though. No more fluro yellow on the Alland logo its black and white now.
It's still Parra mate. I'd rather a vasoline sandwich washed down with a warm tuna milkshake for Christmas than that jersey!