Penrith just signed the NRL’s ‘best free agent’. These are the others still without deals for 2020

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Penrith just signed the NRL’s ‘best free agent’. These are the others still without deals for 2020
NRL Premiership

Kurt Capewell is officially out of rugby league limbo after signing a two-year deal with Penrith from 2020.
With Cronulla facing salary cap restraints, the handy utility faced an uncertain future, but was recently rated as the “best player who is still unsigned” by Panthers legend Mark Geyer.

The Panthers are also reportedly set to announce the signing of Zane Tetevano after Sydney Roosters premiership-winning prop was squeezed out because of salary cap pressure.

So who are some of the other players still without NRL deals for next season?
Former Gold Coast playmaker Ryley Jacks is back at Melbourne and looms as a replacement for Brodie Croft, but he’ll have to impress on the train and trial deal he’s been given.

Reuben Porter has been handed a train and trial deal at the Raiders, while Ata Hingano has been kept on as a development player in 2020.

Ex-Raiders fullback Brad Abbey has a train and trial deal with Wests Tigers, while former St George Illawarra prop Lachlan Timm has one with Brisbane, along with Lloyd Perrett.

Broncos props George Fai and Patrick Mago have moved onto rugby union and South Sydney respectively.

Hooker James Segeyaro remains suspended after testing positive to a banned substance.

Parramatta centre Michael Jennings still doesn’t officially have a contract, but is reportedly on the verge of signing a reduced extension with the Eels for 2020, with an option for 2021.

Jennings’ teammate Josh Hoffman is also a possibility of re-signing with the Eels, but would be a good late pick-up for clubs needing outside backs.

Eels hooker Matt McIlwrick has decided to call it a day after 56 NRL games stretching back to 2012.

Tristan Sailor remains without a deal at the Dragons, but has still been training with the squad in the pre-season.

Te Maire Martin also doesn’t have a contract for 2020, but has returned to pre-season training with North Queensland as he fights to make a comeback after a bleed on the brain.

A number of players have been picked up by Intrust Super Cup team Northern Pride with Nick Tui-Loso, Javid Bowen, Gideon Gela-Mosby and Bernard Lewis reporting for pre-season training.

PLAYERS WITHOUT NRL DEALS FOR 2020

BRONCOS

Unsigned: George Fai, Patrick Mago, James Segeyaro

RAIDERS

Unsigned: Brad Abbey, Royce Hunt, Reuben Porter

BULLDOGS

Unsigned: Michael Lichaa, Danny Fualalo, John Olive, Nu Brown, Kaiyne-Lee Kalache

SHARKS

Unsigned: Aaron Gray, Scott Sorensen

TITANS

Unsigned: Ryley Jacks, Brenko Lee, Jack Stockwell

SEA EAGLES

Unsigned: Lloyd Perrett

STORM

Unsigned: None.

KNIGHTS

Unsigned: Zac Woolford

COWBOYS

Unsigned: Javid Bowen, Gideon Gela-Mosby, Kurt Baptiste, Carlin Anderson, Te Maire Martin

EELS

Unsigned: Josh Hoffman, Michael Jennings, Greg Leleisiuao, Matt McIlwrick

PANTHERS

Unsigned: Hame Sele, Paea Pua, Tyrell Fuimaono, Nick Lui-Toso

DRAGONS

Unsigned: Jai Field, Lachlan Maranta, Patrick Kaufusi, Darren Nicholls, Lachlan Timm, Tristan Sailor

RABBITOHS

Unsigned: Kyle Turner, Billy Brittain, Jacob Gagan, Mawene Hiroti

ROOSTERS

Unsigned: Bernard Lewis, Zane Tetevano

WARRIORS

Unsigned: None.

WESTS TIGERS

Unsigned: None

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's odd Billy Brittain still unsigned.

Javid Bowen? But we only have 1 spot left so....

Surprised to see Perrett trialling with Broncs.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Aaron Gray would be a very solid depth signing. Has gone missing since signing with the Sharks, but worth a shot on a cheap contract.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Aaron Gray would be a very solid depth signing. Has gone missing since signing with the Sharks, but worth a shot on a cheap contract.
Don’t make me vomit. That’s almost as bad as the Javid Bowen suggestion above.

Would rather just promote someone like Katoa or Harding into our Top 30 than chase any of the mugs in the list above.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don’t make me vomit. That’s almost as bad as the Javid Bowen suggestion above.

Would rather just promote someone like Katoa or Harding into our Top 30 than chase any of the mugs in the list above.
Ok yeah well when you put it like that I'd rather our own promising juniors as well.

It wasn't a rock solid suggestion as we only have one spot left open and it certainly wouldn't be him....was only a thought on possibles if more spots opened up. He hasn't stood out but reminds me of Curtis Rona.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok yeah well when you put it like that I'd rather our own promising juniors as well.

It wasn't a rock solid suggestion as we only have one spot left open and it certainly wouldn't be him....was only a thought on possibles if more spots opened up. He hasn't stood out but reminds me of Curtis Rona.
He’s got some ability but whenever I see him play he seems to struggle with involvement and has an error in him.

I’m not sure what position we’re looking at for this 30th man but if it’s an outside back then Katoa or Harding would be good positive additions.

If I was to choose someone from that list it’d be Greg Leleisiuao. Surprised he hasn’t played any NRL yet but I suppose he’s had some good wingers ahead of him at Parra. Big body, destructive ball runner and great set starter. Something a little different that we’re missing in our current wing options

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wasn't this Greg Leleisiuao kid getting hyped the last few seasons?

Does anyone have any intel on him? Is any good? Surely if he was they wouldn't have played Takairangi on the wing to end the season.

Brittain could be signed as more depth at hooker but now that Katoa is on board, there's probably no need as it wouldn't be enough of an upgrade.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Wasn't this Greg Leleisiuao kid getting hyped the last few seasons?

Does anyone have any intel on him? Is any good? Surely if he was they wouldn't have played Takairangi on the wing to end the season.

Brittain could be signed as more depth at hooker but now that Katoa is on board, there's probably no need as it wouldn't be enough of an upgrade.
There probably was. But he’s still just 22 and I just had a peep at his CC stats this year, looks like he had a bumper season;

Trys: 6th overall
Line breaks: 3rd overall
Metres: 1st overall
Post contact metres: 1st overall
Tackle busts: 1st overall (double that of 2nd)
Offloads: 1st overall
Kick return metres: 2nd overall

Someone will pick him up that’s for sure.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There probably was. But he’s still just 22 and I just had a peep at his CC stats this year, looks like he had a bumper season;

He’s very short and very clumsy... he will go super league or play reserves rest of his life, not good enough for first grade

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s very short and very clumsy... he will go super league or play reserves rest of his life, not good enough for first grade
From the little I’ve seen he’s tightened up a bit

The stats agree - averaging 0.69 handling errors per game last season. That’s on the low side for a winger

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Thanks. I was surprised to see his name there to be honest. Those are pretty impressive stats, even if it is reserves. Hopefully for his sake he gets a chance to see if he can handle FG.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing really to get excited about there...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
They're also about to announce Tetevano which was actually the NRL's 'best free agent'. Capewell was probably the second best tho.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lloyd perrett who would of thought lol

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Zac Woolford. The amount of crap the dogs board copped for not giving this bloke a contract on the kennel and guess what he couldn’t make it at the knights. Just not good enough

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Lichaa is a free agent.....snap him up FFS!!