Other News Source Harry Grant extends Storm contract

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the game’s most exciting young hookers, 21-year-old Harry Grant, has extended his NRL contract with Melbourne Storm until the end of the 2022 season.

Elevated to Storm’s full-time NRL squad for the first time in June, Grant has impressed Melbourne’s coaching staff with his continued development and excellent form with feeder club Sunshine Coast Falcons in the Intrust Super Cup
A junior with the Yeppoon Seagulls, Grant represented Queensland as a schoolboy and at under-18s and under-20s level.

After moving to Melbourne, he was captain of the Thunderbolts in the 2017 NYC season and was named the RLPA NYC Player of the Year as well as Storm NYC Player of the Year.

The hooker’s NRL debut for Melbourne came against Manly in round 11 of the following season.

Grant has played 41 ISC games for the Falcons, including 22 this season as they claimed the minor premiership.

At Storm’s end-of-season awards in October, Grant was named the Feeder Club Player of the Year.

“I feel this is the place to be for my football at this stage so I’m happy to stay and see where it takes me,” Grant said.

“I love the culture of this club and people within the organisation and I’m glad my contract negotiations are settled for a few years now.

“I can focus on having a good pre-season which will hopefully lead to more game time in 2020.

“There’s still plenty in my game that I want to improve but I’m lucky that I have some great coaches and players who I can tap into.

“Like the rest of the boys, even though it’s only November I can’t wait for the new season to get underway.”

Can we now give up the talk we should sign him

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One of the game’s most exciting young hookers, 21-year-old Harry Grant, has extended his NRL contract with Melbourne Storm until the end of the 2022 season.

Elevated to Storm’s full-time NRL squad for the first time in June, Grant has impressed Melbourne’s coaching staff with his continued development and excellent form with feeder club Sunshine Coast Falcons in the Intrust Super Cup
A junior with the Yeppoon Seagulls, Grant represented Queensland as a schoolboy and at under-18s and under-20s level.

After moving to Melbourne, he was captain of the Thunderbolts in the 2017 NYC season and was named the RLPA NYC Player of the Year as well as Storm NYC Player of the Year.

The hooker’s NRL debut for Melbourne came against Manly in round 11 of the following season.

Grant has played 41 ISC games for the Falcons, including 22 this season as they claimed the minor premiership.

At Storm’s end-of-season awards in October, Grant was named the Feeder Club Player of the Year.

“I feel this is the place to be for my football at this stage so I’m happy to stay and see where it takes me,” Grant said.

“I love the culture of this club and people within the organisation and I’m glad my contract negotiations are settled for a few years now.

“I can focus on having a good pre-season which will hopefully lead to more game time in 2020.

“There’s still plenty in my game that I want to improve but I’m lucky that I have some great coaches and players who I can tap into.

“Like the rest of the boys, even though it’s only November I can’t wait for the new season to get underway.”

Can we now give up the talk we should sign him
The talk of signing him will now stop.

Que the 'sack the board for not signing him first' portion of this thread.

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I think they might skip this thread and go straight to a letterhead

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Disappointing. Good kid. If jmk doesn’t kick on we won’t have see a decent 9 in our jersey for a decade

Hopefully jmk does kick on. Not exactly confident in that though.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What's to say B.Smith may leave if Grant takes his spot.
I can see Brandon Smith being a future Melbourne captain. I can't see him leaving as he's the quintessential player Bellamy loves...

Even if Grant hypothetically became the full time starter eventually, Smith could still be an 80 minute lock and still have a huge impact on the game. He's just a natural footballer that excels wherever he plays.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This one hurts. Grant will be a 80 minute Hooker. B. Smith off the bench? B. Smith is potentially someone we can look at in the future...

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

The thing is though to be honest he was never leaving. Like it was worth an enquire but he was never going. Similarly to the trobojovinchinici brothers. They weren’t ever going to test their value. They were just trying to get their maximum value at the manly. I think David Fifita will be the same at The broncos.

What makes latrell different is he is available. Not saying one way or another we should go for him. But it’s not often a current rep player decides to leave his team. Especially someone that can play in the spine.

But like I have said I’ll give the board the benefit of the doubt and see what they can build for 2021. But of course if latrell excelled at fullback and we end up with role players and struggle to make the 8 with a “8.5m dollar war chest” Then that will be the issue for the board, coach and ceo.

Grant does seem like a gun. But I never expected him to leave. So you can’t blame the club for not signing him.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is though to be honest he was never leaving. Like it was worth an enquire but he was never going. Similarly to the trobojovinchinici brothers. They weren’t ever going to test their value. They were just trying to get their maximum value at the manly. I think David Fifita will be the same at The broncos.

What makes latrell different is he is available. Not saying one way or another we should go for him. But it’s not often a current rep player decides to leave his team. Especially someone that can play in the spine.

But like I have said I’ll give the board the benefit of the doubt and see what they can build for 2021. But of course if latrell excelled at fullback and we end up with role players and struggle to make the 8 with a “8.5m dollar war chest” Then that will be the issue for the board, coach and ceo.

Grant does seem like a gun. But I never expected him to leave. So you can’t blame the club for not signing him.

True, but I would blame the club if they didn't even ask

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can see Brandon Smith being a future Melbourne captain. I can't see him leaving as he's the quintessential player Bellamy loves...

Even if Grant hypothetically became the full time starter eventually, Smith could still be an 80 minute lock and still have a huge impact on the game. He's just a natural footballer that excels wherever he plays.
I see Brandon as a Bulldog.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I see Brandon as a Bulldog.
He's the type of player our club has traditionally produced and he epitomises the culture and grit of our toughest forwards but I just don't see Melbourne letting him leave. I'd love to be wrong but even if he somehow did leave, I could see him going to the Warriors and nowhere else..

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's the type of player our club has traditionally produced and he epitomises the culture and grit of our toughest forwards but I just don't see Melbourne letting him leave. I'd love to be wrong but even if he somehow did leave, I could see him going to the Warriors and nowhere else..
Maybe.. Though u never ever know in rugby league. His definitely somebody worth wasting cap space on.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
After Brandon Smith's performance for the Maori, plus Grant's frustration at not getting the swap deal with Tigers, is now our chance to have another stab at him and try to get him across?
Both he and Smith are signed til the end of 2022.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Disappointing. Good kid. If jmk doesn’t kick on we won’t have see a decent 9 in our jersey for a decade

Hopefully jmk does kick on. Not exactly confident in that though.
Yep I guess, wasn’t going to happen though.. also I think jmk will kick on, if he does he will be a weapon at 9!!! But If not the options are slim. Something will fall into place.

JMK will come good and should have a massive year when he returns.. cue the haters, even though if I was to say pay sucks, sack him all the fans boys would disagree an come for my head.!! At least I am giving pay the benefit of the doubt and the same should be given to jmk.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’d take Brandon smith any day. Throw him decent money with a definite starting role. I’m sure both will want to make storm no9 their own but only one will get it.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be fair to grant at 22 you’d want a role on an NRL team. So good luck to the kid for chasing his dream. Fair enough you blood him at 20, having him filling in at 21. But by 22 you’d Atleast want a utility role.

looks like a prospect. Good production line of excellent hookers down south. So if he plays half as good as his hype will be a decent hooker.