Opinion Are the board doing the best job they can?

Are the board doing the best job they can?

• Yes

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 34.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you remember when we played the Broncs Segy split us down the middle with a good run. I can't remember JMK splitting the Broncs. Yes he f..ked up by using performance enhancing drugs. Maybe he got desperate but maybe if he had joined us he never would have got to that stage and thus a different direction. We'll never know
seggy has very little between his ears, easily led astray and his own doing brings him undone

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We were expected to finish Wooden Spooners last year. This year we're expected to finish second last. Anything above that is an over achievement (Overachievers are individuals who "perform better or achieve more success than expected."). As long as the effort is there and we don't give up at the back end of the season I can't really judge the teams record (W/L, For and Against) as we're not good enough to compete with 14 teams (IMO) on paper. That is just reality and the situation we're in. I will go into every game knowing that we have a chance but you have to set realistic expectations...
What are you basing that on? What the "experts" or betting agencies say? The same experts like Meninga that tipped the Titans to win the comp last season? Or the same betting agencies that had Newcastle as top 3 in the market to win the comp when they didn't even make the finals? You do realise they get it wrong all of the time don't you?

And do you realise that before the last two months we were dead last? Or that we finished with the worst attack in the comp?

The only expectations fans have is to hope to see improvement in the teams performance and to see players improve individually. We expect the attack to improve from averaging 13 points a game. Clearly according to you that's asking too much from the chosen one aka supercoach Dean Pay..

If he was as good a coach as you claim, then shouldn't he have us near the outskirts top 8 based on how we finished last season?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What are you basing that on? What the "experts" or betting agencies say? The same experts like Meninga that tipped the Titans to win the comp last season? Or the same betting agencies that had Newcastle as top 3 in the market to win the comp when they didn't even make the finals? You do realise they get it wrong all of the time don't you?

And do you realise that before the last two months we were dead last? Or that we finished with the worst attack in the comp?

The only expectations fans have is to hope to see improvement in the teams performance and to see players improve individually. We expect the attack to improve from averaging 13 points a game. Clearly according to you that's asking too much from the chosen one aka supercoach Dean Pay..

If he was as good a coach as you claim, then shouldn't he have us near the outskirts top 8 based on how we finished last season?
Meninga works with the Titans. A lot of former QLD players are involved with the Titans. All things considered we were terrific last season and overachieved. Before we went on our run Pay was doing what was expected. The main reason for that (late season surge) is that the players didn't give up. As long as the players are playing for Pay I have no issue. Talent wins games - we lack talent. We're four to five signings away from being expected to make the top eight. No two ways about it.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meninga works with the Titans. A lot of former QLD players are involved with the Titans. All things considered we were terrific last season and overachieved. Before we went on our run Pay was doing what was expected. The main reason for that (late season surge) is that the players didn't give up. As long as the players are playing for Pay I have no issue. Talent wins games - we lack talent. We're four to five signings away from being expected to make the top eight. No two ways about it.
What about Newcastle being tipped to win the comp by the so called experts and bookies?

Didn't the last two months of last season prove we have some talent with the way DWZ, Hoppa, Renouf, RFM etc stood out?

None of what you said excuses averaging 13 points in the modern era. That isn't good enough and needs to improve. Surely even you must acknowledge that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What about Newcastle being tipped to win the comp by the so called experts and bookies?

Didn't the last two months of last season prove we have some talent with the way DWZ, Hoppa, Renouf, RFM etc stood out?

None of what you said excuses averaging 13 points in the modern era. That isn't good enough and needs to improve. Surely even you must acknowledge that.
Matty and Andrew Johns? They were tipped for top four at some point during the season by a few. They were expected to make the eight with their roster (I didn't have them personally). It's now known that they're lacking leadership from within the playing group. There are always teams that do better or worse then expected but you can't use that in your expectations/predictions (you can only go of what you know)...

We have some talent and good players (potential, solid) just we have to compare to other sides and not within (and we're lacking compared to them). Like I said we're four to five signings short to be expected to make top eight. Performance wise we're much better than the Knights of 2017 and when we make those signings we'll be expected to finish similar to how they were this season. I don't think we'll fail like they did but it can happen even if we think the club does everything right.

We're playing at least 2m under the salary cap. You need to acknowledge the situation we're in before how we're going/stats. 2021 is when I'm expecting more but not before. We're severely handicapped right now for obvious reasons.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Matty and Andrew Johns? They were tipped for top four at some point during the season by a few. They were expected to make the eight with their roster (I didn't have them personally). It's now known that they're lacking leadership from within the playing group. There are always teams that do better or worse then expected but you can't use that in your expectations/predictions (you can only go of what you know)...

We have some talent and good players (potential, solid) just we have to compare to other sides and not within (and we're lacking compared to them). Like I said we're four to five signings short to be expected to make top eight. Performance wise we're much better than the Knights of 2017 and when we make those signings we'll be expected to finish similar to how they were this season. I don't think we'll fail like they did but it can happen even if we think the club does everything right.
So just to confirm, you're saying if we go from 12th to 11th to near last in year three of a rebuild with the same coach, you would be willing to extend that coach for several more years?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So just to confirm, you're saying if we go from 12th to 11th to last in year three of a rebuild with the same coach, you would be willing to extend that coach for several more years?
We're much better than the Knights of 2017 and when we make those signings we'll be expected to finish similar to how they were this season. We're expected to finish second last next season. As long as Pay doesn't get the Wooden Spoon and the players are playing for him I would re-sign him. There is a reason why he's our coach and not someone with more experience/name. We'll be more appealing in 2021 so if we want to be savage and get a top coach (if available) we can but I would give Pay one year with the 2021 roster. I had this exact same view before we went on our late season surge btw.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We're much better than the Knights of 2017 and when we make those signings we'll be expected to finish similar to how they were this season. We're expected to finish second last next season. As long as Pay doesn't get the Wooden Spoon and the players are playing for him I would re-sign him. There is a reason why he's our coach and not someone with more experience/name. We'll be more appealing in 2021 so if we want to be savage and get a top coach (if available) we can but I would give Pay one year with the 2021 roster. I had this exact same view before we went on our late season surge btw.
Why would anyone sign with us in 2021 if we finished near last and would have missed the finals four years straight?

Why would they sign to play for a coach that has such a negative gameplan, implements zero attacking structures and would have had a win percentage of around 30% or worse?

Why would the club re-sign Pay if we finished bottom four again? What would he have "achieved" to earn an extension?

I'm not going to go back and forth with you as I know you could do this all day and I have better things to do but I think it's safe to say that unless there's improvement this season, Pay should be fired.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why would anyone sign with us in 2021 if we finished near last and would have missed the finals four years straight?

Why would they sign to play for a coach that has such a negative gameplan, implements zero attacking structures and would have had a win percentage of around 30% or worse?

Why would the club re-sign Pay if we finished bottom four again? What would he have "achieved" to earn an extension?

I'm not going to go back and forth with you as I know you could do this all day and I have better things to do but I think it's safe to say that unless there's improvement this season, Pay should be fired.
Where we finish next season is irreverent if 2021 is our target year. We will have majority of our recruitment for 2021 done before the start of next season.

A player signs for a club for 1: money, 2: success. Coach and success is tangible imo. We can't offer expected success.

I disagree with the way you've described our game plan and attacking structures. Everyone does the same stuff but if you don't have the talent it's going to look how it does. You need players that can break out and create (or just do it themselves) outside the structure. The most important area a coach needs to get right is man management.

I think Pay will be re-signed unless he gets us the Wooden Spoon for reasons I've already stated. If he wasn't to be re-signed then I'd say it's a savage approach from the board and they'll be recruiting a top coach.

Last edited:

hoggy

Waterboy
Reaction score
we are building like we did in 1978 -79 young kids identified in jersey flegg etc then blooded in reserves and brought on later look at the successful coaches and clubs around the world they stick it out , it is so easy to sack coaches but does it give the next coach in a chance to win , not really it gives him another 3 years to recruit who he wants to try to win and by that time it is back to sack the coach and then it starts again look at penrith newcastle broncos , the simple answer is identify the talent retain the talent and then coach and blood the talent , we have to have the top recruiters and support staff and junior coaches for the head coach to thrive which is what we are trying to do at the dogs , we had our window in 2012 and 2014 but fell 1 short we are starting again true supporters follow the club in thick and thin times , lets be patient as i have seen a lot of talented players in the juniors coming through and should be right for 2021-2022 and beyond

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we are basing the judgement of two players for the whole season around making one run in one game that seems like a very rational and well thought out argument.....
No that was one point. Okay we'll base it on their whole careers if that makes you happier. Who would be rated the better player overall and remember this was at the time when JMK hadn't even cracked it to start regular at hooker ? You honestly thought keeping Lichaa in first grade was a better option than signing Segy ?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No that was one point. Okay we'll base it on their whole careers if that makes you happier. Who would be rated the better player overall and remember this was at the time when JMK hadn't even cracked it to start regular at hooker ? You honestly thought keeping Lichaa in first grade was a better option than signing Segy ?
No its not about comparing their whole careers! What Seggy did in 2014 or before last year is totally irrelevant because we now know what JMK and Seggy produced last season. You said you wanted Seggy signed for 2019 and he did nothing at the Broncos while JMK had a good season and was probably our most improved. Comparing Lichaa’s season and Seggy’s season there isn’t much in it. I’ll take Lichaa because could you imagine the field day the media would have had with the drug test?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No its not about comparing their whole careers! What Seggy did in 2014 or before last year is totally irrelevant because we now know what JMK and Seggy produced last season. You said you wanted Seggy signed for 2019 and he did nothing at the Broncos while JMK had a good season and was probably our most improved. Comparing Lichaa’s season and Seggy’s season there isn’t much in it. I’ll take Lichaa because could you imagine the field day the media would have had with the drug test?
Imagine how much more backlash there would have been if Segayaro was with us for wearing an AC/DC shirt to his hearing like he did? It would be the hysteria from the Coffs police interviews dress code all over again!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Imagine how much more backlash there would have been if Segayaro was with us for wearing an AC/DC shirt to his hearing like he did? It would be the hysteria from the Coffs police interviews dress code all over again!
For sure it was a huge bullet dodged especially when you consider what he did on the field.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I'll go back to the original point I was making. At the time this season Lichaa was playing shit and JMK hadn't yet proved successful there was an opportunity to sign Segy (he was without a NRL contract at that time although the Sharks were rumoured to be interested). It just seemed odd that we did n't pick him up on the cheap. Yes we now know what happened with him in the end but AT THAT TIME it seemed like a fail for us not to get him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'll go back to the original point I was making. At the time this season Lichaa was playing shit and JMK hadn't yet proved successful there was an opportunity to sign Segy (he was without a NRL contract at that time although the Sharks were rumoured to be interested). It just seemed odd that we did n't pick him up on the cheap. Yes we now know what happened with him in the end but AT THAT TIME it seemed like a fail for us not to get him.
So let me get this right you think it’s a fail that the club avoided making a mistake AT THAT TIME? Do you think the Broncos are happy that they signed him now?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For sure it was a huge bullet dodged especially when you consider what he did on the field.
And don't forget his sex tapes with Norman. No doubt if we signed him, twenty more videos would have been released instantaneously.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If only your mum did anal you never would have been born you fucking MISTAKE !
Good one haha. I was blessed with the correct amount of chromosomes and was more intelligent and more successful than you when I was still in nappies, which you no doubt still wear

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He has been trouble for years and the club avoided him like the plague. You constantly bag the board but want to sign a bloke who was into the drugs and hanging out with bikies. Dribbler

Status
Not open for further replies.