Opinion Dogged division over player dividends

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agree. Likely down to McDonnell with the Tigers connection at the time. I’ve seen very little value from Sue despite his injury.
Sue is an okay signing if you want some experienced depth...but for us he just wasn't at all required.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because he wasn't.
We can make the assumption about wages and we would probably be right about it but really we don't know. I agree Burr should have stuck around and in my opinion always offered more than Smith and Sue but there must have been an underlining factor which sent him over the ditch.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We can make the assumption about wages and we would probably be right about it but really we don't know. I agree Burr should have stuck around and in my opinion always offered more than Smith and Sue but there must have been an underlining factor which sent him over the ditch.
I've been told by multiple people that no offer of a spot in the 30 was made.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
and last year we won the comp in ISP (reserve grade) and what did we do - we let go of several of the best players including Josh Cleeland and Grand Final Man of the Match Zac Woolford and also our ISP Player of the Year Lachlan Burr to the Warriors who played mostly first grade for them this year.

What's the use of having great players and winning comps in lower grades if we let some of the best players go ?
They’re all shit mate lol

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mate we finished on the same points as the Knights.. what the hell are you running? We will be in the 8 next year and they will very likely go down the ladder... Ponga is the most overrated player in the comp.. when he does shine it's usually only in patches during a game.. and very rarely against top teams
If we finish in the 8 the NRL is a dying and untalented league.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Market value vs paying overs vs value to playing group...

Everybody here surely knows the majority of high profile recruits don't provide value for $
Most of them flop horribly in fact.

With that in mind, can we all take a breath before we criticize this board and playing group and football staff before sticking the knife in when we miss out on an ??upgrade?? to our roster

I am by no means pro board or Pay just simply a fan who wants the success of our club to be established with a long term vision.

If a potential recruit might possibly destabilize the playing group because of a bad attitude or training practices than surely that detracts from the values Pay and staff are trying to instill within the squad.

I am backing them to get the recruitment right with a hard working, dedicated senior leadership group steering the way.
The last thing we need right now is a Hayne or Mitchell types taking up large portions of the cap sewing the seeds of doubt and contempt.

Go after the young hungry players without a chip on their shoulder. Sure pay THEM players overs to an extent. But I trust the club to be damn sure that if we do sign a once in a generation player that it will come with a once in a generation attitude and training practices.

This club is beginning to establish an identity again, and it is one to be admired not admonished. It is an identy of hard work and backing up your team mates in defence. An identity of punching above your weight and not folding because the chips are stacked against you.

The Haynes and Mitchell's of the world do not fit the mould. And at the price their types demand they should be setting the example not leaching off everyone else's hard work and stealing the glory.

This is the mould that has seen our highly touted juniors of the past step up and exceed expectations. This is the mould that has seen once average cup players put on a Bulldogs jersey and become a vital dog in the wheel. This is the mould that used to seperate us from the faders and the also rans.

This is the blueprint for the Canterbury way. Hate to say it but either fit in or fuck off!
I totally agree !!!
It is stupid not to all be United on this Belmore :-)
Our strength has always been our values, most importantly is for the players to feel pride in the jersey, worn for a minimum wage or a million dollars.
Since the early eighties and despite being the most successful club in the land (leagues) we opted to invest in bringing up teenagers after the massive rebuild for 1984 season, that is until Greenturd pulled the plug on that, then brought in Hitler to finish us off :rage:
In saying all that...Why is Jacko not signed yet ?????

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
They’re all shit mate lol
Watched Burr a lot last year nothing special (was a tackle missing machine, in and out of the Warriors 13 with Blair). Cleeland and Woolford didn't even play NRL last season. Woolford couldn't even get a chance at 9 for the Knights when they were struggling with that position all season.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we finish in the 8 the NRL is a dying and untalented league.

Not really.. I can see them taking their end of season form into the start of the season and getting better from there... Dogs aren't a sh*t club like Knights or Tigers who are content with being in the bottom 8 for years and years.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
At least we don’t support the dragons

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post, and I love this..
Yes but demanding people to follow lyn anderdons and pays blueprint. Sorry the so called canterbury blue print to fit in or fuck off.
Is just stupid. I bet if pays and lyns blueprint does not work. Should the true faithful believers that believe in pay should all fuck off. Just bullying shit that doesnt work on most. Im sorry people it will never be bullfrogs blueprint again, cause well in reality hes been dead for many years.
Melbourne took our blue print and took it to another level. We need to do the same.
I believe we are heading in the right direction.
Do i think lyn can get us up to that premieship level in the next 5 years. No i dont.
I really hope im proved wrong.
We are still going into the future without anyone in the 9,6,7,and 1 that is going to score many points.
But to be fair there are not many top flight ones around and we are only 1 of 16 clubs.
I think cleary is a shit coach, his defence coaching is his biggest strength.
But bringing api and barret in will be huge for them imo. Something we should of done along those lines.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Played through the middle and everything i've been told is that we couldn't find a spot for him so he left the club.
People always complain we have too many second rowers though. You can’t keep them all

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
People always complain we have too many second rowers though. You can’t keep them all
Lol same bloke bashes the club for having too many back rowers yet cries foul that we let Burr go to the Warriors

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Not really.. I can see them taking their end of season form into the start of the season and getting better from there...
everyone said the same thing last year after we won a few when we were well out of finals calculations and how did we start this year? after14 rounds we had lost 11 and won 3

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think Marley is saying Burr was a huge loss and he would have made a huge difference to the team.

He's saying he didn't have an offer from any club until just before the start of last season when the Warriors signed him on a minimum deal.

Sue would have cost more and was signed for two years but was worse than Burr last season. No one is crying that Burr was released, he's just saying signing Sue was a waste of money. Plus he still has another year left on his deal while taking up a valuable squad spot.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think Marley is saying Burr was a huge loss and he would have made a huge difference to the team.

He's saying he didn't have an offer from any club until just before the start of last season when the Warriors signed him on a minimum deal.

Sue would have cost more and was signed for two years but was worse than Burr last season. No one is crying that Burr was released, he's just saying signing Sue was a waste of money. Plus he still has another year left on his deal while taking up a valuable squad spot.
Thanks, Marleys a big boy I’m sure he can speak for himself.

And I seem to recall him praising the signing of Sue, so I’d assume that isn’t what he was saying. Because that would again be quite hypocritical.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great players? You realise there is a big jump between Canterbury cup and first grade don’t you? I don’t remember seeing any of those great players on stage collecting a Dally M this year
Yes I know that but all those on here against spending big on big name players are saying the club is doing the right thing by focusing on building up our lower grades. What I'm saying is how is the club doing that if they're letting go 3 of who were the definite best of our reserve grade team. You can't have it both ways saying the club is good at building up our juniors while they're also letting go some of the best in our lower grades. Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing but when we won the ISP local and national comps last year AT THAT TIME I don't think the club felt that Cleeland MOM in the ISP Grand Final, Woolford MOM in the national GF from memory and Burr our ISP "Player of the Year" were all shithouse. So why did they let them go ?

By the standards of heaps of people on here they should have all been playing first grade with us. In the case of Cleeland I actually agree he should have got a shot at some stage during his 2 seasons with us especially as we couldn't score points. A few on here also thought Woolford deserved a shot ahead of Lichaa for the start of this season IF we had retained him.

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was a big lachie burr fan coming through the grades but he was rubbish in 1st grade sue was much better and was very good before he got injured

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks, Marleys a big boy I’m sure he can speak for himself.

And I seem to recall him praising the signing of Sue, so I’d assume that isn’t what he was saying. Because that would again be quite hypocritical.
Maybe next time read what someone posts objectively and more thoroughly instead of jumping to conclusions and people won't feel the need to interject.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tbf we should never have let Burr go, all he wanted was a spot in the 30 and the club couldn't even offer him that. Instead we went out and recruited Sue on probably more coin instead of rewarding a player that performed in the lower grades.
Exactly so how can some on here praise the club for focusing on our juniors. It seems it's okay when the club sheds promising players and replaces them with average players from other teams but no we just don't want to replace them with high profile players on big coin

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes but demanding people to follow lyn anderdons and pays blueprint. Sorry the so called canterbury blue print to fit in or fuck off.
Is just stupid. I bet if pays and lyns blueprint does not work. Should the true faithful believers that believe in pay should all fuck off. Just bullying shit that doesnt work on most. Im sorry people it will never be bullfrogs blueprint again, cause well in reality hes been dead for many years.
Melbourne took our blue print and took it to another level. We need to do the same.
I believe we are heading in the right direction.
Do i think lyn can get us up to that premieship level in the next 5 years. No i dont.
I really hope im proved wrong.
We are still going into the future without anyone in the 9,6,7,and 1 that is going to score many points.
But to be fair there are not many top flight ones around and we are only 1 of 16 clubs.
I think cleary is a shit coach, his defence coaching is his biggest strength.
But bringing api and barret in will be huge for them imo. Something we should of done along those lines.
I think you missed the point. It’s got nothing to do with a Moore/Anderson/Pay blueprint it’s about the club having one at all..

The Hasler/Cleal/Dib format was ignore the juniors and try and bastardise a Premiership with a 3-5 year window. It didn’t work although it produced 2 GF’s and left a long term mess both salary cap/recruitment wise and junior programs.

Any business worth pissing on has a company vision/culture and hirer staff that appear to be able to fit into its structure.

Deals done over a Chinese feed are long gone unfortunately and it’s been replaced with greedy player managers telling their man is “the man” or he is the next big thing and deserves to be Fullback/Captain/etc and to always be paid more..

I don’t have a problem with Latrell or anyone getting paid $1mil or more if the market says yes. If he had got in front of our management and said take me in and I will will play my guts out whether at 5/8 centre or fullback and help you win a premiership, he would already be wearing a blue and white jersey.

Instead he more than likely demanded fullback and star status and got a thanks but no thanks.

It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks, if those in charge have a plan and a set of standards for all who join, it simply is fit in or go somewhere else.