Bulldogs Call NRL Double Standards on Cap Relief

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Channel 9 just announced the Bulldogs to take on NRL on Salary cap relief for Foran.
They quoted the Double standards in allowing Burgess and other players being allowed and not Foran. Lets hope this gathers some pace and shows how unfair the NRL is and hopefully the dogs win this for our cap. No mention on Foran retiring.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Channel 9 just announced the Bulldogs to take on NRL on Salary cap relief for Foran.
They quoted the Double standards in allowing Burgess and other players being allowed and not Foran. Lets hope this gathers some pace and shows how unfair the NRL is and hopefully the dogs win this for our cap. No mention on Foran retiring.
Well for starters the others retired, Foran won't. I don't doubt we could find something if Foran would actually retire.

But the 350k is bs, we've lost him for an entire season and get fuck all return. What idiot capped it at 350k? Seriously?

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well for starters the others retired, Foran won't. I don't doubt we could find something if Foran would actually retire.

But the 350k is bs, we've lost him for an entire season and get fuck all return. What idiot capped it at 350k? Seriously?
We all know he hasnt retired but this is a start hopefully he will.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He may not have a choice but having to retire. I honestly can’t see any team willing to give him a go when his body has continually failed him and if it’s 12 months off then he’s surely played his last game for us

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
He may not have a choice but having to retire. I honestly can’t see any team willing to give him a go when his body has continually failed him and if it’s 12 months off then he’s surely played his last game for us
The thing that concerns me is our stupid fukin club signing him again. I can just see the BS now about sticking with him and he's one of ours etc etc

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
$350k concession for 6 months ok - but if out for 12 months it should be $700k. Others wise $350k doesn’t allow you much to replace him. ...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope this works out better than the time they "challenged" the NRL over Mad Monday. Look how well that worked out...

The club shouldn't rest until the NRL change the stupid rule so that the whole salary of Foran is made available for getting injured in a rep game. And while they're at it, change the stupid rule so that you can sign anyone, not just a half.

Again, if Teddy tore his ACL playing for the Kangaroos, do you think Politis would accept only 350k relief and being told they can only use it on a fullback?

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The $350k compensation is a joke. The NRL needs to look at a sliding scale taking into consideration the length of the injury/recovery, and the contract of the player. We all know there is a massive difference between a $500K player and a $1M+ player. Also the length of the injury, $350k might be ok for a 12wk injury but the compensation for a full season injury needs to come up significantly. Even the 12wk qualifying period needs to be looked at, a team without the best player or a key player for 12wks could mean the difference between a few wins and loses and with a tight competition those are the games which could cost a top 8 spot.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
November 1 st is here, and Foran is now allowed to negotiate a contract for 2021. We should ask him to test the market and see what offers there are out there for him in 2021.
If there is none then the NRL must see that he can no longer continue to play and unless they are determined to harm our club they must give our club full cap dispensation.
If Foran is unable to negotiate a contract for 2021 it will prove just how selfish he is by not retiring.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Half was still way too much! Look at the lack of action with Fifita, Asofa-Solomona etc. Where are their 250k, 125k or 50k fines?
Hill should be questioning the NRL on this BS also. None of our blokes were arrested. Only filmed in private function hurting no one else.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The $350k compensation is a joke. The NRL needs to look at a sliding scale taking into consideration the length of the injury/recovery, and the contract of the player. We all know there is a massive difference between a $500K player and a $1M+ player. Also the length of the injury, $350k might be ok for a 12wk injury but the compensation for a full season injury needs to come up significantly. Even the 12wk qualifying period needs to be looked at, a team without the best player or a key player for 12wks could mean the difference between a few wins and loses and with a tight competition those are the games which could cost a top 8 spot.
You're completely right but as usual and with every other rule throughout the last twenty years, we'll be the test case and worst case scenario...

So it will still apply to us, no exceptions will be made but it will be changed immediately after so that every other club can be properly compensated in the future. In the meantime we'll be stuck with Foran's rotting carcass eating up 10-15% of our salary cap.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Half was still way too much! Look at the lack of action with Fifita, Asofa-Solomona etc. Where are their 250k, 125k or 50k fines?
We were scape goats because it was a club sanctioned and attended event, not one bloke in a fight.
I agree our punishment was harsh but we know how stubborn and difficult to deal with the NRL are so I think a 50% reduction was a successful appeal

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You're completely right but as usual and with every other rule throughout the last twenty years, we'll be the test case and worst case scenario...

So it will still apply to us, no exceptions will be made but it will be changed immediately after so that every other club can be properly compensated in the future. In the meantime we'll be stuck with Foran's rotting carcass eating up 10-15% of our salary cap.
Unfortunately I can see this happening ...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We were scape goats because it was a club sanctioned and attended event, not one bloke in a fight.
I agree our punishment was harsh but we know how stubborn and difficult to deal with the NRL are so I think a 50% reduction was a successful appeal
I understand the point of difference but club function or not, bashing people on a drunken rampage is much worse than getting naked at a private function.

And we all know that if it was the Roosters players doing that after they won the GF, it would be laughed off and no fine would be handed down.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Been waiting for this, glad to see it. It is absolutely valid to make reference to the spate of recent high profile retirements, the NRL needs to be challenged on this. The 350k rule seems arbitrary, it is certainly wrong. Cap relief should be the players entire wage for the year, otherwise the whole basis of the theory behind the cap and market valuation is rendered a joke.

I'm not going to be surprised if it emerges that Surgess was pushed. With a year of rehab, could he have played again? We'll never know. If a player doesn't have firm medical advice he has to retire, he shouldn't have to. Even sometimes when they do have such advice they might find a way to keep playing. Brent Tate?