Have we forgotten one important factor ... ?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Another player choosing someone / anyone but us. Hard to take. Can understand the frustration. We all want big signings, so it's hard seeing so many players slip through our fingers for whatever reason.

Come on here day-in-day-out and every man and his dog is ripping into our recruitment team. Should be paying this much more. Not offering enough. Lacking negotiation skills. Etc. Etc.

Very very few have mentioned the biggest factor in all of this imo. Our coach.

Let's not forget it's his role to sell his vision of the team to potential new players. He's got to pitch our values and what it'd mean for a player to join us. Any player worth his grain of salt will be asking any coach about how they see that player fitting into the system. Standard imo.

So ... doesn't seem that many players are that attracted to playing with him it seems?

And that gets us to the BIGGEST factor. Are we all sold on him being the right coach for us anyway? We're talking about signing big players, but we need someone to inspire them also. Why aren't we talking more about our coach?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Let’s be serious.

We have no recruitment team.

I’m not sold on our coach at all.

I think everyone seems to forget that up until the last month we where fighting the spoon with the titans and where down the bottom most of the year.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let’s be serious.

We have no recruitment team.

I’m not sold on our coach at all.

I think everyone seems to forget that up until the last month we where fighting the spoon with the titans and where down the bottom most of the year.
But because the club said we will struggle until 2021 that excuses their on field performances. Also I guess it excuses the reason we are one week into preseason with no major sponsor too.....

We are a basket case. And any fan or forum member that wants to deny it has something pulled over their eyes.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
But because the club said we will struggle until 2021 that excuses their on field performances. Also I guess it excuses the reason we are one week into preseason with no major sponsor too.....

We are a basket case. And any fan or forum member that wants to deny it has something pulled over their eyes.
Yep

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I’m not sold on the coach either but just cause we haven’t made a big signing doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world.

people are forgetting that the team bonded and started to play with heart which dramatically strengthened our defence, we all most made the top 8
Just relax have faith the club is on the rise.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are slowly getting there. Heres the team for round 1 last year.
1 Moses Mbye
2 Brett Morris
3 Josh Morris
4 Will Hopoate
5 Marcelo Montoya
6 Matthew Frawley
7 Kieran Foran
8 Aaron Woods
9 Michael Lichaa
10 David Klemmer
11 Joshua Jackson (c)
12 Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13 Danny Fualalo

14 Adam Elliott
15 Aiden Tolman
16 Greg Eastwood
17 Jeremy Marshall-King

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another player choosing someone / anyone but us. Hard to take. Can understand the frustration. We all want big signings, so it's hard seeing so many players slip through our fingers for whatever reason.

Come on here day-in-day-out and every man and his dog is ripping into our recruitment team. Should be paying this much more. Not offering enough. Lacking negotiation skills. Etc. Etc.

Let's not forget it's his role to sell his vision of the team to potential new players. He's got to pitch our values and what it'd mean for a player to join us. Any player worth his grain of salt will be asking any coach about how they see that player fitting into the system. Standard imo.

So ... doesn't seem that many players are that attracted to playing with him it seems?

And that gets us to the BIGGEST factor. Are we all sold on him being the right coach for us anyway? We're talking about signing big players, but we need someone to inspire them also. Why aren't we talking more about our coach?
When has the Kennel ever shut up about the coach?

Every successful coach started as a nobody, and built their reputation with the team. Maybe in another year or two we'll have the right combination of players with our coach; then we might see other clubs' stars lining up to sign with us - or we might just breed the next generation of NRL reps.

I've been around for over 70 years; supporting this team most of my life, and I can assure you it's worth the wait for success. Not all gratification is instant.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I’m not sold on the coach either but just cause we haven’t made a big signing doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world.

people are forgetting that the team bonded and started to play with heart which dramatically strengthened our defence, we all most made the top 8
That’s one way to put a positive outlook with it.

I also want to point out I’m not bagging you at all voxer your posts are always pretty reasonable.

Though the other view is we where last most of the year and the last few weeks we had nothing to lose, threw the ball around and a few teams took us lightly and we jagged a few wins to get up to 12th and got more wins in the last month then we did for the first three or four which seems to patch the cracks for a few.

The other teams have improved by recruiting and returned of injured players too.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
That’s one way to put a positive outlook with it.

I also want to point out I’m not bagging you at all voxer your posts are always pretty reasonable.

Though the other view is we where last most of the year and the last few weeks we had nothing to lose, threw the ball around and a few teams took us lightly and we jagged a few wins to get up to 12th and got more wins in the last month then we did for the first three or four which seems to patch the cracks for a few.

The other teams have improved by recruiting and returned of injured players too.
If we start the way we finished last year what would you think then?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
If we start the way we finished last year what would you think then?
If we start the year the same as we did last year then what?

If we have the second worst for and against again ?

If we continue to struggle to score like a bum in a brothel?

If we play like we did for most of the year and lose ?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its a catastrophe and no one one wants to talk about the real issue, the cleaners. If they did there job properly we wouldn't be in this mess.
If we payed them say 7.6M for the next 6 years wed start attracting marque players and wouldn't have to pay overs.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nah I'm not the biggest pay fan (may be converted if we actually start well for once). But Des couldn't attract any talent either...besides family association the only real player he signed was Rona and arguably RFM which was a trade anyways. So case in point money is always the main factor, we are just looking for the right player for the right price

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
If we start the year the same as we did last year then what?

If we have the second worst for and against again ?

If we continue to struggle to score like a bum in a brothel?

If we play like we did for most of the year and lose ?
That’s exactly what I’m saying it can go either way we have to wait and see.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score

This is pretty much the crux of it. Yes we've been falling behind in recruitment and yes we haven't been competitive enough to make the Top 4 or even the 8 for that matter, but c'mon you gotta give the club some credit. Especially with signing of DWZ and how much of an impact he has had. And that back end of the season the boys were genuinely digging in for eachother and now we're going into the off season on a high note. That's surely a good thing? Even a negative Nelly like myself can see that.
I'm not really a fan of Pay as a coach atm, but credit where credit is due.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not sold on the coach or the board at the moment, which is fair.. but it is what it is,and we have to try an have a little faith and see what 2020 brings an how it plays out..!! I’m hoping for something great to happen and will hold judgment until at least round 5.. gotta give em the benefit here lol.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pay is a deer in the headlights.
Who wants to come to an organisation where the coach’s future is unclear? How can Pay sell his plan moving forward to any prospect ?
It appears at the moment that he has very little say in recruitment/retention. It’s a worry also for our youngsters coming through- (we lost Tommy Talau this time last year.)

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay has been here for two years... in that time he has had a lot of main stayers go, and has had a lot of young and inexperienced players to work with... and not to mention that his only experienced half has been missing for most of that time.... this year we finished the season as one of the form teams and were beating top 8 top teams who had much more to play for... haters can boot

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The most important thing is that we start next season off well. There is no reason why we cant. If we play attractive footy and get a roll on, we will be an attractive prospect for potential signings. We all know contracts arent worth shit, that anything contract wise can come out of left field. Example DWZ. So called marque players have signed for lesser clubs in recent years ie Titans, Knights. We just need the off season to be better than the last 2 and we fire round 1 next year. The media and commentators will be lining up to lick Pays balls if we are top 4 six rounds in to next year. That will have an impact on potential signings.

The Big Issue

Waterboy
Reaction score

I’m glad we haven’t signed any of these “big names” and the huge salaries they are expecting. We don’t want to slip back into the days where Des Hasler messes our salary cap to the point where it has taken several seasons to get over and still a few to come. I know someone reading will straight away say “look what he’s done with manly and they have cap problems.” Well not huge cap problems and their money is tied up in their 7,1,10. Don’t forget where they came from .... they are just starting to recover from 2011 when Des Hasler left them in a nightmare state before a few good years with us that resulted in too many back ended deals.
We should have an ideal dollar figure per portion and stick to it as a max . No exceptions. Build a balanced team .