UEFA Champions League

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Barca hold Slavia Prague to a draw. They mainly played a defensive game. Other Group F match, Dortmund take down Inter 3-2 at home.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Some good games on tomorrow...

upload_2019-11-6_9-2-23.png

Wahesh

Reaction score
No real surprises this morning:

upload_2019-11-7_7-55-51.png

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did anyone see that 5 minutes of craziness in the Dortmund game?

Haaland scores a goal
VAR overturn it
Whilst reviewing it, they noticed a tug on Haaland in the lead up to a previous attacking opportunity. So VAR denied his initial goal, but gave them a penalty
Haalands pen was saved by the Sevila GK, who walked up to him and abused him off camera
VAR reviewed the penalty - GK was well off his line. Re-take pen
Haaland goes the same way - scores the goal - was about to run to the corner to celebrate. Diverts his run to go towards the GK, give him a mouthful./
Sevilla players approach him to remonstrate.
Haaland yellow card.

FUCKIN LOL

Wahesh

Reaction score
There's not way Barca are going to dig themselves out of this whole. And I said the exact same thing 4 years ago when the beat PSG 6-5 on aggregate I fucking lost my shit in the office... people thought I was mental (even I did lol) :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Did anyone see that 5 minutes of craziness in the Dortmund game?

Haaland scores a goal
VAR overturn it
Whilst reviewing it, they noticed a tug on Haaland in the lead up to a previous attacking opportunity. So VAR denied his initial goal, but gave them a penalty
Haalands pen was saved by the Sevila GK, who walked up to him and abused him off camera
VAR reviewed the penalty - GK was well off his line. Re-take pen
Haaland goes the same way - scores the goal - was about to run to the corner to celebrate. Diverts his run to go towards the GK, give him a mouthful./
Sevilla players approach him to remonstrate.
Haaland yellow card.

FUCKIN LOL
That was one of the craziest passages of play eh. It was so confusing how far back the VAR was going, in the NRL they can't go back that far (although I think they should).

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That was one of the craziest passages of play eh. It was so confusing how far back the VAR was going, in the NRL they can't go back that far (although I think they should).

The whole ordeal reminded me a situation with RVN about 10 years ago..

Kills me everytime.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The whole ordeal reminded me a situation with RVN about 10 years ago..

Kills me everytime.
That's a perfect example of karma right there - what goes around comes around. I think players who get in the face of other players and laugh at them like that should be automatically yellow carded for poor sportsmanship and deliberately provoking the opposition. Good on Ruud for giving it back to that scum - even though Ruud got the yellow. It's a small price to pay for rubbing it back in.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would take 50 yellows in that instance.

Worth it. ALL day

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Big change happening with the CL from 2024/2025.

• 32 teams --> 36 teams
  • No longer put into pots with 4 teams - instead, all teams will play 5 games @ home and 5 @ away.
  • 8 auto advance to the last 16 - the middle 16 have play offs to decide the other 8
  • Then 16 will go down to 2 as per the current structure
  • 4 additional champions league spots are up for grabs. They are touted for France, and wild cards (clubs that have done well previously but failed to quality - would work well for a team like Ajax, who made the semi finals one year, then had to go through 2 rounds of qualifying the following season to make it through). BUT! There is also a chance it could go to a club like Tottenham or Manchester United - big clubs who fail to make it per the normal way, in an effort to ensure they are maximizing their broadcast rights.
  • # of games will go from 125 to 225.

So what does this mean?

• Financially, more games means more $$$ - so there's that
  • Almost double the amount of games
  • The biggest issue lies with the additional 4 spots. The fact that it can be granted to a team who may of finished 8th in a league the previous season does not sit well with fans. But I also understand the gesture. Liverpool, for example, if they fail to qualify for the top 4 or win the CL this season will more than likely qualify for one spot, as they finished runner up, champions and then last 16 in the last 3 years. This is a clear request from broadcasters - as they want to ensure teams with high viewership will continually be involved, to attract higher audiences.
  • Fixture congestion is for sure going to be a thing. We will probably see bigger squads now - and would not surprise me if the 5 man substitute rule stays

On another note - The Europa league is changing next year too. 48 teams --> 32.
Also - the other big change is - the knock out stage still starts at the round of 32. However, the team that finishes first in each group auto advances to the round of 16. The round of 32 is for group runner ups + teams that finished 3rd in their respective champions league spots.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Big change happening with the CL from 2024/2025.

• 32 teams --> 36 teams
  • No longer put into pots with 4 teams - instead, all teams will play 5 games @ home and 5 @ away.
  • 8 auto advance to the last 16 - the middle 16 have play offs to decide the other 8
  • Then 16 will go down to 2 as per the current structure
  • 4 additional champions league spots are up for grabs. They are touted for France, and wild cards (clubs that have done well previously but failed to quality - would work well for a team like Ajax, who made the semi finals one year, then had to go through 2 rounds of qualifying the following season to make it through). BUT! There is also a chance it could go to a club like Tottenham or Manchester United - big clubs who fail to make it per the normal way, in an effort to ensure they are maximizing their broadcast rights.
  • # of games will go from 125 to 225.

So what does this mean?

• Financially, more games means more $$$ - so there's that
  • Almost double the amount of games
  • The biggest issue lies with the additional 4 spots. The fact that it can be granted to a team who may of finished 8th in a league the previous season does not sit well with fans. But I also understand the gesture. Liverpool, for example, if they fail to qualify for the top 4 or win the CL this season will more than likely qualify for one spot, as they finished runner up, champions and then last 16 in the last 3 years. This is a clear request from broadcasters - as they want to ensure teams with high viewership will continually be involved, to attract higher audiences.
  • Fixture congestion is for sure going to be a thing. We will probably see bigger squads now - and would not surprise me if the 5 man substitute rule stays

On another note - The Europa league is changing next year too. 48 teams --> 32.
Also - the other big change is - the knock out stage still starts at the round of 32. However, the team that finishes first in each group auto advances to the round of 16. The round of 32 is for group runner ups + teams that finished 3rd in their respective champions league spots.
Seriously this is shit. There is nothing wrong with the system the way it is now. At least it's not as shit as the direction the World Cup is heading. I think ALL competitions qualifying should be simple - 4 teams per group, and all comps must be 32 teams (8 pools) - even the European Championships.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah well they had to make changes because there is a push for a rebel European league which will fetch more $$$ for the big clubs.
UEFA‘s hands were kinda tied.
We are talking huge money .

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bayern 16 shots
8 on goal
Hit the wood work
Big chances for 1 goal in first half

PSG 2 shots
0 else
2 goals lol

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone tell me about the away goals
Or doesn’t matter in quarter finals ?

Psgwon 3-2 away from home just wondering with away goals

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone tell me about the away goals
Or doesn’t matter in quarter finals ?

Psgwon 3-2 away from home just wondering with away goals
Same as the usual mate.

If the tie is all squared up after 2 games, the team with the most away goals win.

So Bayern cannot go to PSG and win 1 nil - as this will be 3-3 overall, but PSG have 3 away goals. They will either need to win by 2+ goals, unless they win by a scoreline of +1 when over 7 goals are scored (4-3 win to Bayern in Paris will see them progress).

A 3-2 in the Germans club favour will see the tie go to ET.

Me personally - I would like to see the rule changed. I think too much can happen that can swing a tie in favour to one side. I think the away goals rule should be capped at 1 goal. So if any tie ends at 2 apiece, did both teams score at least 1 away goal? If yes, then Extra time.

The reason I say this is because the argument is that the home team of the second tie gets the advantage of having the crowd, home field advantage. However, if it goes to extra time and a goal is scored by the away team - then the home team will need TWO goals to win the tie. This is something that really irks me.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same as the usual mate.

If the tie is all squared up after 2 games, the team with the most away goals win.

So Bayern cannot go to PSG and win 1 nil - as this will be 3-3 overall, but PSG have 3 away goals. They will either need to win by 2+ goals, unless they win by a scoreline of +1 when over 7 goals are scored (4-3 win to Bayern in Paris will see them progress).

A 3-2 in the Germans club favour will see the tie go to ET.

Me personally - I would like to see the rule changed. I think too much can happen that can swing a tie in favour to one side. I think the away goals rule should be capped at 1 goal. So if any tie ends at 2 apiece, did both teams score at least 1 away goal? If yes, then Extra time.

The reason I say this is because the argument is that the home team of the second tie gets the advantage of having the crowd, home field advantage. However, if it goes to extra time and a goal is scored by the away team - then the home team will need TWO goals to win the tie. This is something that really irks me.
Yup, I wasn’t sure if I read something earlier in the season that the away goal rule was getting tapped on the head or something
Obviously it didn’t

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And how good was the psg Bayern game
End to stuff
Relentless attacking
Was probably the best game I’ve watched in years and years and years