Latrell Mitchell Discussion Megathread

Is Latrell worth $1 Million?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latrell Mitchell: Canterbury officials in disagreement over Sydney Roosters star’s price tag, reports

WRITTEN BYSPORTING NEWS
LEAGUE
LEAGUE

Canterbury-Bankstown officials are reportedly yet to reach a consensus on Sydney Roosters star Latrell Mitchell’s price tag amid rumours the Bulldogs are prepared to offer the Australia centre $1 million a season.

Mitchell comes off contract at the end of the 2020 NRL campaign and is therefore free to negotiate with rival clubs.

The 22-year-old in June expressed his desire to finish his rugby league career as a one-club player.

But Mitchell, who will make his fourth Test appearance for the Kangaroos against the Tonga Invitational on Saturday, has been strongly linked with the Bulldogs since June.

MORE: Broncos target could remain at current club, report | Ex-Broncos to return to Red Hill in 2020, report |

News Limited journalist James Hooper on Thursday reported ‘The Family Club’ are prepared to pay Mitchell $1 million a season to lure him from Bondi to Belmore.

But it has now emerged some members of the Bulldogs hierarchy are not as enthusiastic about signing Mitchell as others.

“There’s parties at Canterbury who are desperate to get Latrell there and are willing to go to great lengths but I don’t know that the footy club is as convinced of Latrell,” News Limited journalist Brent Read told Triple M’s The Rush Hour with MG.

“I think they’re wary and will go to a certain point for Latrell, I don’t think he’ll get the million a year that’s been talked about.

“… I don’t think they’ll break the bank for Latrell because they got themselves into a fair bit of trouble a couple of years ago and their salary cap was a mess.

“And they’ve only just sort of come out of that and they’re very wary of getting themselves back into that situation.

“There’s a definite interest in Latrell and they will go there, but they’ll only go there to a point and then it’ll be in the Roosters’ court and Latrell’s court as to whether the Roosters want to respond to that amount and whether Latrell maybe wants to take a little bit less to stay at the Roosters.”

It is understood the Sydney Roosters have opened negotiations with Mitchell but are unwilling to enter a bidding war with the Bulldogs.

Meanwhile, Wests Tigers have money to spend following their decision to release Ryan Matterson and Ben Matulino’s medical retirement.

South Sydney would also have money to spend on a potential a late bid for Mitchell if they are successful in having Sam Burgess medically retired.

Attachments

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They better not f..k this up by arguing over an extra f..king 100K a season or so. If we miss out on him because the board only approve 900K when he wants 1M then that's f..ken ridiculous and the board will be sacked at the next election

I wonder if it could be more about the idea of him coming early in 2020 because if so we'd have to backend his contract and the club have already stated they will no longer do that.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They better not f..k this up by arguing over an extra f..king 100K a season or so. If we miss out on him because the board only approve 900K when he wants 1M then that's f..ken ridiculous and the board will be sacked at the next election

I wonder if it could be more about the idea of him coming early in 2020 because if so we'd have to backend his contract and the club have already stated they will no longer do that.
Just chill out a bit and don’t take every article so seriously. It’s all about getting the player at the best price and why would they give the highest offer first? I doubt they have the money figures right anyway. When the board is voted for it’s impossible to sack them anyway.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the roosters are offering $650,000 and we offering $850,000 for a 5 year deal then thats an extra million over the course of that deal so theres still a decent chance we could get him at that. The worry is another club like souths or parra paying a million which would not suprise

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
There is so little game breaking talent available with the recent updates.

Latrell being offered 800k or 1 mil makes no Fucking difference. Pay the **** at least he has something we need and haven’t had since barba:

The ability to break a game open.

Ffs miss this and we are back to mediocre spuds at best. I’d rather pay him 10% over to get him when we have such a fucking cap then sign spuds on 400k twice.

Not to mention him here might actually mean the next good/impressive player will consider us a lot stronger and probz not expect massive overs therefor saving us down the track some $.

Plus what he would bring in for members and sponsorship alone.

I mean shit make it in incentives (play x games, score x points, make rep teams, finals etc)

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon the media is writing bullshit to raise doubt in the mind of latrell mitchell. 1) I hope that Mitchell isn't reading any of this and 2) I hope the club gets this signing done soon before any more ridiculous articles get released.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reckon the media is writing bullshit to raise doubt in the mind of latrell mitchell. 1) I hope that Mitchell isn't reading any of this and 2) I hope the club gets this signing done soon before any more ridiculous articles get released.
It’s more then likely info coming from managers to squeeze more money out of the Chooks or get other clubs thinking about it. The vast majority of rumours come from managers being a puppet master to the journalists.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It’s more then likely info coming from managers to squeeze more money out of the Chooks or get other clubs thinking about it. The vast majority of rumours come from managers being a puppet master to the journalists.
Probably true. I doubt any club is even willing to pay the so called $1m+ per season for Latrell anyway, that's 100s of thousands more a season than any other centre. Looks like his camp is going all out to earn every cent possible with his next deal.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Player managers control so much of the game it’s sickening

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latrell Mitchell has time to decide with a massive payday assured

Latrell Mitchell celebrates the Roosters’ grand final win over Canberra Raiders last month. Picture: AAP
Canterbury football club officials were in the midst of a board meeting on Thursday afternoon when phones started pinging with the latest links to Sydney Roosters and Australian superstar Latrell Mitchell

The revelations followed a similar theme to the last — more secret meetings, this time between an unnamed Canterbury official and Mitchell. Meetings so secret it seems, football club officials insist they were kept in the dark.

Instead, The Weekend Australian can reveal one of the key figures at the adjacent Canterbury Leagues Club was the architect of the latest talks, designed to lure Mitchell to Belmore on a mega-deal that would make him one of the highest earners in the game.

READ NEXT
This is where things get intriguing. The Canterbury Leagues Club is chaired by George Coorey, a long-time Bulldogs powerbroker who was a member of the football club board for many years.

He held onto his position on the leagues club board at last year’s elections after aligning himself with the new football club board, led by Lynne Anderson. Remarkably, he pipped his brother Arthur to retain his position.

Coorey continues to wield significant influence at Belmore. As the chair of the leagues club, he presides over an empire with revenues in excess of $80 million and profits of more than $6 million even after directing $4 million to the football club to cover their expenses.

He therefore has the capacity to influence any pursuit of Mitchell. Yet key football club officials insist the chase for Mitchell will be on their terms and those terms won’t include a deal worth $1 million or more a season.

Stream the 2019 Oceania Cup Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

As much as the Bulldogs need a marquee name to give the club an injection of talent and optimism, they won’t break the bank for him.

Their more immediate priority is re-signing the likes of Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and captain Josh Jackson, two players who have every right to question the club’s purported pursuit of Mitchell when they are entering the final year of their existing deals.

The Bulldogs are only now seeing some blue sky when it comes to their salary cap. They got themselves into dire trouble by paying overs at a time when key officials were desperately clinging to power, leaving the club and coach Dean Pay little to spend in recent years in a rebuilding phase.

Another election is on the horizon but football club powerbrokers insist they won’t be acting irresponsibly in an attempt to hold onto their positions.

The Weekend Australian has also been told an agent was present at the meeting with Mitchell. It is understood the agent wasn’t Wayde Rushton, the man who Mitchell joined only months after the Roosters superstar split acrimoniously with his previous manager.

Rumours have been circulating about Mitchell being unsettled with Rushton for some time. Only last week, Rushton insisted he was still guiding the Roosters centre through his latest talks and was poised to open discussions with the premiers over an extension.

Yet others are watching with interest — there is talk of several agents eyeing off Mitchell including Mario Tartak, who counts Damien Cook, James Roberts and Benji Marshall among his clientele — and Rushton will be under intense pressure to find a club willing to pay Mitchell the millions he (or at least those close to him) seemingly thinks he deserves.

Mitchell himself has maintained a dignified silence on his future in recent weeks, only briefly addressing the issue during an interview with Australian journalists in Auckland on Friday morning. He is coming to the end of a season of tremendous highs and devastating lows.

He started the year in a blaze of glory but then lost his place in the NSW side and became a target for racial abuse. He handled an ugly situation with class.

He was lauded for his leadership in standing up to those who criticised him based on the colour of his skin, in doing so becoming an important leader not just among rugby league’s indigenous players, but the wider community.

There have been shades of Anthony Mundine about the way he has become a beacon for indigenous people and perhaps not surprisingly, there has been talk of the former rugby league star-turned-boxing champion forming a relationship with Mitchell.

There were times when Mitchell’s form appeared to suffer, yet he did enough over the closing weeks of the season in the Sydney Roosters’ run to the premiership to secure his place in the Australian side. He had little time to rest before joining Mal Meninga in camp for Tests against New Zealand and Tonga, where he quickly reminded everyone what all the fuss was about after a video appeared on social media of Mitchell landing a sideline shot at goal from 55 metres.

Mitchell follows the kick as the ball lasers in on the black dot, leaping in the air as it sails over the crossbar. He walks away with a broad smile on his face and flicks away the kicking tee. Moments like that explain why Mitchell is among the most coveted players of those who entered the final year of their deals on November 1.

Canterbury won’t deny their interest in Mitchell. Dollars are the issue, just as they will be for the Roosters and potentially South Sydney and the Wests Tigers should they decide to go down that path.

The Roosters won’t engage in a bidding war for Mitchell. They have already re-signed his centre partner Joey Manu and as much as they want to keep Mitchell, they no doubt feel that the loyalty they have shown him should be returned in kind. Should he sign elsewhere, don’t rule out the Roosters cutting him loose a year ahead of schedule and reinvesting the money in other players.

The Roosters were squarely in his corner when he hit out at the cowards who attacked him on social media. It hasn’t always been a smooth ride, yet Mitchell has been helped along the way by a club that genuinely cares for him.

It is no doubt why Mitchell will think long and hard before making a decision on his future. He has plenty to think about but one thing is clear — money, and lots of it, will come his way regardless of where he ends up.

BRENT READ

SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
Brent Read is one of rugby league's agenda setters but is also among the nation's most well-known golf writers. He also covers Olympic sports, writing with authority, wit and enthusiasm. Brent began his career ... Read more

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I have mentioned here that 1 mil seems alot for him BUT the club cannot be seen to be disjointed. Whichever way we go it must be unified and seen to be together. Have these discussions behind closed doors and spare the ammo from the vultures.

Of note these media idiots have no clue at all. We read that we are offering all this money and then read that we can't even agree at club level to even offer him a value?? Wish the AFP would raid these fukwits instead!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
George Coorey - he was a member of the 'football club" board at the time that approved the back ended deals to Woods etc. I read the club is trying to re-sign Elliott. So he'd rather keep Elliott than spend "some" of his wage - an extra 100K maybe a season on signing a potential gamebreaker like Mitchell. Want a stupid c..t !

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is so little game breaking talent available with the recent updates.

Latrell being offered 800k or 1 mil makes no Fucking difference. Pay the **** at least he has something we need and haven’t had since barba:

The ability to break a game open.

Ffs miss this and we are back to mediocre spuds at best. I’d rather pay him 10% over to get him when we have such a fucking cap then sign spuds on 400k twice.

Not to mention him here might actually mean the next good/impressive player will consider us a lot stronger and probz not expect massive overs therefor saving us down the track some $.

Plus what he would bring in for members and sponsorship alone.

I mean shit make it in incentives (play x games, score x points, make rep teams, finals etc)
Blame George Coorey the stupid c..t. Apparently he'd rather keep Adam Elliott than spend an extra 100K a season on Mitchell

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we can afford to roll the dice. Maybe 3 years instead of 5 or the long term deal being reported.

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
George Coorey - he was a member of the 'football club" board at the time that approved the back ended deals to Woods etc. I read the club is trying to re-sign Elliott. So he'd rather keep Elliott than spend "some" of his wage - an extra 100K maybe a season on signing a potential gamebreaker like Mitchell. Want a stupid c..t !
Football club or league club board?

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Once our boys got their stuff together we had the best defence in the comp. With an attacking monster who turns up in the big games we'll be top 8 easy and then just gotta stick with the defence and hope Mitchell can do some big game plays. He's a big game player, don't let 1 SOO game fool you. Look at every semi final, every test match, every other SOO game, every grand final. I'd love to have him, he could go missing half the year and I won't care so long as he breaks games open in the finals.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought some people on here said that he's a done deal

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Blame George Coorey the stupid c..t. Apparently he'd rather keep Adam Elliott than spend an extra 100K a season on Mitchell
That other article in this forum suggests he wants Lattrell for that but it's the board being timid???