Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Jack Wighton

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He isn't leaving Canberra... only side that could possibly snare him given their squad needs are Newcastle

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iv'e always seen him as a centre who could play 1 or 6 if needed.
we need a left centre.
The question could be-
Latrell at $1.1 million
or
Whiton at $850k....... but for that he would probably stay at the Faiders & is maybe too much anyway.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
we need a left centre.
The question could be-
Latrell at $1.1 million
or
Whiton at $850k....... but for that he would probably stay at the Faiders & is maybe too much anyway.
Latrell not necessarily $1.1m. Latrell could be anywhere in the range of 900k-1.1m (I don't see Roosters' offering him more then 700k personally, I believe an additional 200-300k is enough to lure 99% of players).
Wighton isn't going to come for $850k. Raiders will give him a 50-100k upgrade before losing him and at that point we're matching their offer so we would have to offer more to lure him (the $1m amount people are saying). Also even if the Raiders didn't up their 750k an extra 100k isn't enough imo to lure him. I'm thinking more 900k-1m.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
we need a left centre.
The question could be-
Latrell at $1.1 million
or
Agree, was certain we'd see him on the market as a left centre after his off field incident... the whole move to 6 and great form their took me by surprise given how error prone he was at fullback

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes we need a player like Wighton ....he can play five eighth fullback and centre...I would pay him 900k for 4 years.....can't believe how negative people are on this forum.......a player like Wighton who can play many positions is worth 700k but he will not come to the dogs for 700k but he woukd come for 900k....if we can't sigh Mitchell I woukd go for wighton

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn't rate him highly?

Nope... might have got the Clive Churchill but Roosters far from their best... I actually felt like a lot of their plays shut down because of him either throwing a wayward pass, or putting in a bad kick.... he's like a better Josh Reynolds

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I rate him....I honesty believe he would be a quality signing.....
I
My opinion is if he is asking more than 750k, he should be able to steer the team around the park, I can't see him doing that.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sydney media would eat him alive if he signed with a Sydney based team. He gets away with a lot in Canberra that he wouldn't in Sydney.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Latrell not necessarily $1.1m. Latrell could be anywhere in the range of 900k-1.1m (I don't see Roosters' offering him more then 700k personally, I believe an additional 200-300k is enough to lure 99% of players).
Wighton isn't going to come for $850k. Raiders will give him a 50-100k upgrade before losing him and at that point we're matching their offer so we would have to offer more to lure him (the $1m amount people are saying). Also even if the Raiders didn't up their 750k an extra 100k isn't enough imo to lure him. I'm thinking more 900k-1m.
An extra 200 to 300k would lure any player away except from the Roosters because they can match that offer.

See how Cronk had a job lined up with the Roosters in a 'coaching role' after his retirement. The pay cut he took to keep Roosters under the cap will be topped up in his new coaching role.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
An extra 200 to 300k would lure any player away except from the Roosters because they can match that offer.

See how Cronk had a job lined up with the Roosters in a 'coaching role' after his retirement. The pay cut he took to keep Roosters under the cap will be topped up in his new coaching role.
Cronk was still on $1m tho. Did other clubs offer Cronk $1.2-1.3m? That would be an extra ~600k over 2 years. Since it wasn't a long term contract (as Cronk knew he was almost finished) maybe he'd rather going back to back to back? Roosters' were going to give him the biggest chance of doing that.

Lets assume the Roosters offer Latrell 700k. Is a 22 year old that has won 2 Grand Finals already going to reject an extra $1.5m (300k extra a year) over 5 years? I don't think so.
$3.5m or $5m. It's a big difference.

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cronk was still on $1m tho. Did other clubs offer Cronk $1.2-1.3m?
Cronk's deal is worth at the very least 3 million. Other clubs did not out bid the Roosters because he wouldn't of added a premiership to any other teams as they were not stacked with superstars.

1 million per season + the 'coaching role' at the Roosters (post retirement) which is 500k per year.

edit: Roosters back end contracts but they do it outside of the cap. So they will say ok you'll get 1.5mil per season with the coaching role, janitor role, whatever... when you retire. We will pay you 500k a year to be club janitor.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cronk's deal is worth at the very least 3 million. Other clubs did not out bid the Roosters because he wouldn't of added a premiership to any other teams as they were not stacked with superstars.

1 million per season + the 'coaching role' at the Roosters (post retirement) which is 500k per year.
and you think other clubs wouldn't of offered Cronk a coaching role post retirement? The best controlling Halfback in the game. Money outside the salary cap isn't a problem for some clubs (including ours). If you don't use that to your advantage then you deserve what you get.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
and you think other clubs wouldn't of offered Cronk a coaching role post retirement? The best controlling Halfback in the game. Money outside the salary cap isn't a problem for some clubs (including ours). If you don't use that to your advantage then you deserve what you get.
Read between the lines.. the part time coaching gig while he completes his Uni course is to top up his pay outside of the salary cap. Cronk was not on 1 million a season at the Roosters. 1.5 million is closer to the mark.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You have to love how Canberra make the GF against all odds and the media report that they have to release their whole team because of cap pressure.

The Roosters win back to back comps with a team full of rep stars and they're not rumoured to be under any cap pressure. And none of the media question any of it...

It really is a joke of a competition and it's a wonder why any of us even care.

The Roosters could win 10 comps in a row and no one at the NRL or in the media would call them out for their blatant cheating. Instead they'll just blow "supercoach" Robinson and Politis.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn't rate him highly?
I never rated him before origin this year, still not 100% convinced but he’s got some talent.

We’d never afford him, so moot point

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You have to love how Canberra make the GF against all odds and the media report that they have to release their whole team because of cap pressure.

The Roosters win back to back comps with a team full of rep stars and they're not rumoured to be under any cap pressure. And none of the media question any of it...

It really is a joke of a competition and it's a wonder why any of us even care.

The Roosters could win 10 comps in a row and no one at the NRL or in the media would call them out for their blatant cheating. Instead they'll just blow "supercoach" Robinson and Politis.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/08...ers-$3m-of-talent-is-ripe-for-rivals-picking/