Opinion Should the NRL introduce a Draft system like the AFL?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably, but the problem is it’s going to get worse before better and the nrl will sink fast if they don’t sort their shit out.!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Should introduce relegation so some teams pull their fingers out.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thoughts?…
My personal opinion is that a draft and salary csp go hand in hand. However once terry hill and Warren ryan with thr help of kevin ryan challenged it in court in 1991 it was scrapped. The reason it works in the afl is the players association know it is in the best interests of the game and it is part of the collective bargaining agreement. Ae such the afl players cant challenge the draft in court. I can't imagine the nrl players association ever agreeing to this at any stage.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably, but the problem is it’s going to get worse before better and the nrl will sink fast if they don’t sort their shit out.!!
What problem are you referring to?

Thoughts?…
I don’t see it as necessary. The AFL has a draft and the competition isn’t more balanced than the NRL. We can argue over which teams are over the cap but we have seen almost every team reach a grand final in the last 15 years except the Titans. Which other competition can say that?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This x 100!

Either create a second division, or turn the NSW-QLD cups into a quasi second division. I'd prefer a new second division, 11 teams in each of the two national divisions, allowing for expansion of 6 teams (all of which would start in the second division). Full home and away season, time off in the middle of the season for SOO and rep stuff. Every team also gets two byes. Both comps get sold to TV, though obviously 2nd div at a substantial discount. People keep saying the step up from Cup level to NRL is too big, this would help make it a bit smaller. It would provide real encouragement for teams to fight for every season, else relegation.

Imagine if next season there were no more Titans at the top level, instead Newtown was already busy signing contracts, arranging to play at a bigger stadium, landing sponsors, etc? The whole joint would be pumping. A system that gives others a shot is a common experience in our society. Newcastle is another team that would have been put out of its misery some years ago and given a genuine shot at rebuilding without the risk of getting lapped several times every weekend.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the idea. Where drafts are working, it usually involves a lower grade system supported by other profitable entities. NFL and NBA etc have college programs training juniors to reach elite levels. These programs are seemingly profitable and professional in themselves. The NRL relies on clubs to develop talent. Remove the incentive for the clubs to develop talent and the standard of youngsters coming through is likely to fall off. Our game seems to be run by people who put profit a million miles ahead of fans and every other consideration. We still have NRL clubs struggling to find sponsorship deals to keep them alive. The NRL isn't likely to pick up the bills to keep development programs running in my opinion.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
From memory it was attempted back in the 1970's and soon after thrown out in court. It would be against the Roosters interests therefore no chance.
The 90s

Banned
Reaction score
Been expressing this to anyone that gives a shit for as long as I can remember.

Top 6 play finals footy.
Next 6 stay.
Bottom two are relegated.

Bring back former proud clubs like Wests, Norths, Newtown, Uni, Glebe etc
Expand so Western Reds, Adelaide Rams etc return and FFS a NT team, a second NZ team and a few country sides.
Same structure as above, yet grand finalists elevate.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I actually want the NRL to introduce a Transfer Fee instead. Now here me out... we aren't going to go crazy like the EPL where a transfer fee costs 10 x the players value, but this is what I'm thinking.
  • The NRL sets a fixed rate for the transfer fee. Let's say 10%
  • Any player bought by another club will have a transfer fee attached to them, with the exception of players who are transferred mid-season
  • The club can determine how much precisely he player was paid considering they will be paid 10% of his final price, and they can also determine how much the club who signed him paid, making salary cap rorting a little more transparent, and also clubs who have developed their juniors or scouted players well are in some way compensated.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Been expressing this to anyone that gives a shit for as long as I can remember.

Top 6 play finals footy.
Next 6 stay.
Bottom two are relegated.

Bring back former proud clubs like Wests, Norths, Newtown, Uni, Glebe etc
Expand so Western Reds, Adelaide Rams etc return and FFS a NT team, a second NZ team and a few country sides.
Same structure as above, yet grand finalists elevate.
Good structure. All in one competition too, none of this Conference A Conference, B bullshit.

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that a draft and salary csp go hand in hand. However once terry hill and Warren ryan with thr help of kevin ryan challenged it in court in 1991 it was scrapped. The reason it works in the afl is the players association know it is in the best interests of the game and it is part of the collective bargaining agreement. Ae such the afl players cant challenge the draft in court. I can't imagine the nrl players association ever agreeing to this at any stage.
It wasn't a rookie draft though that they challenged. It was a free agent draft. A rookie draft is totally different.