Ball playing FB

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last night showed the importance of having a Fullback who can ball-play. CNK was great for the Raiders last night with his strong runs and was very safe at the back. Unfortunately his lack of vision and inability to ball-play contributed to the Raiders not being able to put the Roosters away when they had all that possession..
Which got me thinking about DWZ, no doubt he was the buy of the season and was very inspiring with his kick returns .. but I feel we still need to go with a ball playing FB as a third option in attack to win those games when it matters...

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Problem is how many ball playing fullbacks that are top quality game winners do you see in the nrl? They need to be ball playing with unreal pace and footwork. Very few available.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd love us to go for Jahrome Hughes and shift him back to the #1, he can ball play but also has the speed and footwork. Not going to happen though.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the Raiders were let down by a lack of a ball playing half. Sezer had a poor game.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Problem #2 - no good team let’s their ball playing fullback with pace and footwork leave. That’s why only the teams with unquestionable salary cap dominance have them. Hence why everyone sees that you need them but can’t have one. It’s a vicious circle.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night showed the importance of having a Fullback who can ball-play. CNK was great for the Raiders last night with his strong runs and was very safe at the back. Unfortunately his lack of vision and inability to ball-play contributed to the Raiders not being able to put the Roosters away when they had all that possession..
Which got me thinking about DWZ, no doubt he was the buy of the season and was very inspiring with his kick returns .. but I feel we still need to go with a ball playing FB as a third option in attack to win those games when it matters...
Ive mentioned a few times on this topic.
I already believe we have a great balance in dallin and hoppa. Hardest running fullback in the bussiness and the best vision and hands in the bussiness. If they can put there egos aside and swap on set start inside opposition 50 i believe we have a great mix. Pay needs to start coaching them like that while meaney develops more.
It can be done smoothly and great if coached and practised right.
Use dallin at his best strengh. Open field running. Backing up forwards when playing for field position and scoring tries.
Get hoppa to shift the ball on those catch pass plays, hes pretty acurate fast soft hands its his biggest attribute.
Not impossible at all

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Raiders were let down by a lack of a ball playing half. Sezer had a poor game.
Agree with that too, dont know if it was joey back next to him but i thought the pair of them were off a bit.
Canberra could of won or should of won i should say. Imo

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Hopefully Hoppa will get in his ear in the off season.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tedesco is a running fullback and is only slowly developing his passing game to even suggest dwz shouldn’t be our fb is ludicrous mate ,we have other areas that need fixing certainly not dwz

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tedesco is a running fullback and is only slowly developing his passing game to even suggest dwz shouldn’t be our fb is ludicrous mate ,we have other areas that need fixing certainly not dwz
I think next year when Cronk isn't there we will Tedesco need to carry a bigger playmaking burden and we will get an chance to see just how much he has developed that side of his game.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Nah I'm happy with dwz at the back. I don't see cnk as better than dwz. It would be nice to have a Wighton type player though.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
DWZ has that win by whatever means mentality and I love it... Tipping him for a huge season next year

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
100% agree. DWZ has awful hands and unless this improves this season he simply isn't a long-term option at fullback for us. As usual TK has overhyped another player because it's a sucker for that so called "competitive player".

We're a side that struggles to score points yet we have fans that jerk themselves over a halfback that isn't a ballplayer or ball runner, a fullback that is only a ball runner, a hooker that has no vision at all but is "improving" and Foran that's available for fuck all games and usually spends half the ones he does play laying all over the floor.

If people seriously want us to be genuine threats moving forward then there's no fucking way DWZ is a lock at fullback for us. He simply can't execute half the role of a fullback these days and unless he can prove otherwise then he can move on, if that's to another club and not another position for us then so be it.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Teddy's ball playing is infinitely better than DWZ, it's not even a contest.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Teddy's ball playing is infinitely better than DWZ, it's not even a contest.
Teddy hardly passes the ball hes a running fullback that is developing his passing game ,dwz was brilliant this year and in an average team

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Teddy hardly passes the ball hes a running fullback that is developing his passing game ,dwz was brilliant this year and in an average team
I think you need to rewatch some vision if that's your opinion.