Opinion Is Cronk better than Thurston?

Thurston vs Cronk - who is better?

• Total voters

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Of course you can, unless you're suggesting that the difference was the inclusion of Hodkinson and Reynolds..? They had enough talent in that team to win that series but JT was lost without the better Halfback.

Note I'm not saying Cronk is the better player, simply the better Halfback.
I think it was complacency that got them more than Cronk’s absence, but you’re probably right that Cronk was the better organiser. JT was the better creator imo.

Aldo, going back to my point about 2008, I seriously doubt Melbourne lose 40-0 if Smith plays.... take Smith or JT out of thst series snd put Cronk in and it’s hard to say the result would have been different with any confidence.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Obviously can’t read my very first sentence
Smart cookie
What are you on about? You stated Cronk has made 9 GF's and I said that undoubtedly 2, and more than likely another 2 or 3 of those GF's were made by teams that he played in that were cheating the fucken cap. Kudo's to Coopy for sustaining a career in shonky AF clubs, Brock Lamb would of got the cheating Storm teams of the late 2000's into GF's, it's not worthwhile dropping to the knees in front of Cronk for that IMO.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it was complacency that got them more than Cronk’s absence, but you’re probably right that Cronk was the better organiser. JT was the better creator imo.

Aldo, going back to my point about 2008, I seriously doubt Melbourne lose 40-0 if Smith plays.... take Smith or JT out of thst series snd put Cronk in and it’s hard to say the result would have been different with any confidence.
Maybe, but i suspect if Thurston had been injured instead, that Cronk and DCE would have combined better. He doesn't need the ball to affect the game and his ability to know his role and adjust accordingly is a highly underrated skill.

Always a pleasure debating you @utility half, you're stubborn - but not a ****

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Maybe, but i suspect if Thurston had been injured instead, that Cronk and DCE would have combined better. He doesn't need the ball to affect the game and his ability to know his role and adjust accordingly is a highly underrated skill.

Always a pleasure debating you @utility half, you're stubborn - but not a ****
You may be right.... I guess there’s no way of knowing for sure.... DCE was quite green when it came to origin level football, but having a steadier organiser there may have helped his game....it’s just when I think of the great players, I think of players like Johns and JT who helped take very ordinary rosters and make them into forces to be reckoned with... but Cronk is the best organisational half the game has seen since Joey, I’ll give him that.

Haha likewise, @COVENS .... it’s always a pleasure.

Could you put that I’m not a **** in writing? It may come in handy on the Folau threads! :p

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You may be right.... I guess there’s no way of knowing for sure.... DCE was quite green when it came to origin level football, but having a steadier organiser there may have helped his game....it’s just when I think of the great players, I think of players like Johns and JT who helped take very ordinary rosters and make them into forces to be reckoned with... but Cronk is the best organisational half the game has seen since Joey, I’ll give him that.

Haha likewise, @COVENS .... it’s always a pleasure.

Could you put that I’m not a **** in writing? It may come in handy on the Folau threads! :p
You can quote me in your signature if you want. eg:

utility is "Not a ****" - COVENS

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing could ever happen between the two of us, dude. I’m too committed to Izzy’s church to go down that rabbit hole.
It's not cheating if it's just the tip

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It's not cheating if it's just the tip
Ok then.... but all you get is the tip @Mbappé2020

I couldn’t figure out how to change my sig, btw... I am an 80-year-old trapped in a 38-year-old’s body.... but I posted my first status based on your endorsement... lol

Last edited:

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok then.... but all you get is the tip @Mbappé2020

I couldn’t figure out how to change my dog, btw... I am an 80-year-old trapped in a 38-year-old’s body.... but I posted my first status based on your endorsement... lol
Ahaha

Gallo2014

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
JT played off the cuff while Cronk is an organiser. JT also had some good players at the Cows and only win one title. Cronk took a team of good players that were never going to get anything with Pearce and made them champions probably back to back.
And who’s the toughest? Well after last years GF, can anyone beat Cronk and his broken wing?
Roosters to smash the green cheats!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Gallo2014

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Who's the toughest? This guy! Won SOO with a totally stuffed shoulder hanging off the bone. Thurston's last couple of seasons were badly affected by injuries but he mostly played on fir his coach and team. His 12 years prior to that proved why he was the priority half, and first picked, for Qld and Australia.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/thurston-my-shoulder-exploded/3n61nyl4i1up1sdzl05mmq7ox
Good call, I’d forgotten about that. They are both superhuman. My computer chair broke while I was sitting last week and fell backwards on my arse and injured my rotator cuff. The pain was terrible and it’s hard to sleep... I wanted to cry like a baby Funnily enough I’m at the GP right now waiting for the results but it feels much better so I think I didn’t break or tear anything, but it’s farking painful. Kudos to JT and CC. They’re both champions.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good call, I’d forgotten about that. They are both superhuman. My computer chair broke while I was sitting last week and fell backwards on my arse and injured my rotator cuff. The pain was terrible and it’s hard to sleep... I wanted to cry like a baby Funnily enough I’m at the GP right now waiting for the results but it feels much better so I think I didn’t break or tear anything, but it’s farking painful. Kudos to JT and CC. They’re both champions.
I shouldn't laugh but fuck that would have been a sight

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Cronk is a great half , and prob the best half of all time with coaching potential. He is the perfect piece in a great team. The complimentary half, the ultimate professional. The roosters got him to win a grandfinal, they needed to go the next step. Pearce doesn't have that. The 7 who is mentally strong. The guy who can steer the team, who will follow the game plan and break teams down. The guy who will make the right decision . That is cronk.
The perfect piece in a great team.. Thurston has That ability, prob not they perfect but he has more attack. Freak attacking ability. Just like Joey didn't have that perfect team around him. Joey could have gone to Broncos and won 5 grand finals. Just think the 2001 parra team with johns for 5 years or 2002 roosters team with johns or Thurston. Remember cronk played in 8 grand finals has won 3, the others taken off him for Melb cheating.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
All good facts and figures but I'm going with the gifted footy player who created for himself and his team....and learnt the foundation of that at the Bulldogs.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One will be an Immortal and a Bronze Statue, not sure of the other.