Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
2014 state of origin
Game 1 - Cronk lasts for 10 mins NSW win
Game 2 - No Cronk
Game 3 - Cronk comes back and puts on a master class

Thurston has never won a minor premiership even with the star studded cowboys team he had in that period. Once Cronk went to the Roosters he made players around him better and help fufill their potential. Keary, Tedesco, Tupou, etc...
Do you think Keary and Tedesco would be any less the players they are if Cooper wasn't there? Those two were well on their way before he came along imo

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do you think Keary and Tedesco would be any less the players they are if Cooper wasn't there? Those two were well on their way before he came along imo
Both are individually very talented players but they went to another level playing alongside Cronk. Tedesco was underachieving at the Tigers and Keary has gone from being good to being one of the best halves in the game... would've played Origin this year had he not got injured..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Cronk has never played a game in which he wasn’t surrounded by superstars. He probably did have something to do with helping Tedesco and Keary reach their potential, but I think JT could have had a similar influence on them, tbh. Any inexperienced future star is going to lift if mentored by a living legend of the game. I’d have more admiration for Cronk if he had signed with a struggling or fringe club and lifted them to premiership success rather than signing with such a ridiculously stacked team who were already on the verge of premiership success before they signed him along with the best up and coming fullback in the game.

Also, is it any wonder Tedesco has improved? He was playing at the freskin’ Tigers!

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They are two very different players...
Both amazing in their own way...
I always enjoyed watching Thurston due to his competitive nature and unstructured play, he put in a 100% on the field no matter what.
With Cronk he was more mechanical, very structured and from what I can see he is able to simplify the roles of the players around him, so much better leader than Thurston in that regard.
When comparing pure skill Thurston has it over him.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is absolutely no way cameron smith is going to retire

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As we all know he works hard on his game and is a very good player. He has also always been apart of two clubs that have superstar players in all the correct positions so that helps also...

JT is probably better overall, but they are totally diff an both deserving of their achievements.!!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry our definitions of modern are different... game has changed immensely since Joey retired
IMO you’re talking about current era not modern era. That’s usually approx a 20 year period which Johns definitely qualifies for. Not sure Cronk is even better than Lockyer either. I think he’s benefited from playing on stacked teams but his approach and dedication to what he does is elite.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jt hands down ,cronk has always played in the strongest teams not so much with jt

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Cronk played better with good players around him, but JT played very good with ordinary players around him.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Well Cronk is more of an organiser Thurston is more of the calf player
2 different players,
plus Cronk has played in the 2 cheating cap teams .
Fuck I hope the raiders win.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy....jt hands down.
I believe cronk still hasnt played his best position.
One thing cronk has that jt doesnt.
Cronk possibly has the character smarts and leadership to be an outstanding coach imo.
Stearing a side around. Or having to do it all yourself. No one beats jt not even johns.
Dont get me wrong cooper will go down as one of best ever.
Get him on our coaching staff dean right bloody now.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cronk has shown the ability to help 2 disadvantaged clubs that have struggled to stay under the salary cap.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thurston is the more naturally talented footballer.
Cronk is the better Halfback.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Cronk has shown the ability to help 2 disadvantaged clubs that have struggled to stay under the salary cap.
And that's his legacy...did it all with serious sc team advantage.

To even mention his name alongside JT is insulting.

If Cronk had gone to a middle of the road club and won them a premiership, he could then be compared to JT but he took the cruisey money option. Farce.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And that's his legacy...did it all with serious sc team advantage.

To even mention his name alongside JT is insulting.

If Cronk had gone to a middle of the road club and won them a premiership, he could then be compared to JT but he took the cruisey money option. Farce.
When people compare them in 20 years, no one will care about who went where. Success and legacy is measured in Premierships, not the quality of the roster around you

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I know somewhere deep down that Gronk, Smith and Slater are somewhat unrivalled but my hatred for the Storm, their cheating, grubbiness and arrogant attitude over shadows their achievements for me. Even more confusing for me being a Qlder.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
cronk has the natural ability but JT got to where he is by hard work

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Put Thurston in that Storm side and he would have had just as much success as Cronk. If you put Cronk in some on those Cowboy sides would he have done better then Thurston? We will never know unfortunately. Thurston has the runs on the board from doing that.
Yeah but JT didn't really win that grand final... yes he kicked the field goal, but Morgan saved his bacon