News Why Brisbane Broncos should bring Lachlan Lewis ‘home’ to Red Hill

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LOL The Broncos are going to have about 10 Fullbacks and 10 5/8s on their books.

They need a real Halfback. Honestly you throw Maloney into that side, and they're a top 4 group.

We are the same

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a bit of a conundrum. Lewis doesn't look like a traditional half. He seems like a pretty instinctive footballer though. I've got a feeling he'll wind up as a ball playing lock if he bulks up. But if he gets big money offers elsewhere it's a bit tough to justify paying a lot right now. I'd hate to see him move on. But like a couple of our squad at present he's among a few players fighting for limited positions.

The Broncos have lost their mojo on the recruitment front. They're recruiting the players they chase, but those players are tending to go backwards under their system. It's potentially a situation where they offer enough money for the youngsters they're bringing in to feel like they've 'made it' thus they're losing the work ethic.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I see broncos doing with Boyd a Inglis, he wil, retire and be on the clubs books as a ambassador. It's the new rort that the nrl will allow
You might just be right there. There have been rumblings coming out of Red Hill that he is on the outer and let's be realistic...what club would want to have to stump up the better part of 800k to do the Broncos a favour?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have people forgotten how we won those last few games built on defence and Lewis was a big part of that. He definitely saved a few tries alone. Like the article reads he has top 10 stats for one on one tackles handling guys like Sam Burgess all game. I know he missed a couple in the last game but 3 try assists in 1 game. How long has it been since we had another player with 3 try assist in a game ? He definitely deserves another season before making any rash decisions. I'd really like to see how he would perform at hooker. He's also the only player at the club who can kick the ball for decent metres on the 5th if we're trapped in our own half and need some field position back or to gain decent metres from penalty kicks for the sideline. He also puts bombs higher to give us more chance of competing for the ball (if we give a decent chase that is). If we lost him I fear many of those games we win with defence we'll lose. I agree that Cogger offers more in attack but not by much. I think he's only good for maybe an average of 1-2 try assists a game. Lewis can save 1-2 tries a game. It would be good to have both but I guess Foran is usually good for 1-2 try assists a game so Pay probably thinks we need Lewis for his defence more than Cogger for his attack while Foran's on the field and I'd have to agree. If Lewis can also create 1 or 2 assists a game then that's a bonus.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If he goes he goes, I won't lose any sleep. Doubt it's true anyways as fox just dribbling shit about the Broncos all week

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A halfback cannot be manufactured.

A halfback is a player who has been playing halfback since they were in the under 8's. It's up to that individual on how he develops snd takes the step up which makes or breaks him.

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score

A halfback is a player who has been playing halfback since they were in the under 8's. It's up to that individual on how he develops snd takes the step up which makes or breaks him.
Apart from Cooper Cronk, i agree

Malla

Reaction score
LOL are Broncos in that much trouble they actually see Lewis as a saviour? Jesus lol

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Andrew John's!

Malla

Reaction score
Apart from Cooper Cronk, i agree
I disagree I think a half back can be manufactured anywhere with the right coaching.

The one thing all great halfs need to have is effective communication skills with natural leadership. You can't manufacture that hence why a lot of halfs fail. Look at Cronk in last years GF... he did absolutely nothing with a bung shoulder other than talk and get his players in the right spots. That's literally all you need to do as a half to be good.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm now continually fighting my first instincts with Lewis (dump him), he's only young. Many young HBs have all the attacking flair but are turnstyles in defence; Lewis however is a great defender with attacking eye but needs work on controlling a team and controlling a game. He's 23 with 24 games under his belt, still too green to completely write off. Plus he still needs another off-season or two to get to his proper playing weight.

He could be a great ball-playing lock, but with our lack of halves and overabundance of 2nd rowers, that won't happen here for a while yet (if at all).

Regarding the Broncos, I think the last thing they need is another green half. Their senior players need to step up or piss off.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis and Cogger are probably the future, since when are we trying to offload him?
Don't worry about the Broncs, they disrespected Bennett and got what came with it.

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I disagree I think a half back can be manufactured anywhere with the right coaching.

The one thing all great halfs need to have is effective communication skills with natural leadership. You can't manufacture that hence why a lot of halfs fail. Look at Cronk in last years GF... he did absolutely nothing with a bung shoulder other than talk and get his players in the right spots. That's literally all you need to do as a half to be good.
You can manufacture a player to be an average halfback and than call them a "halfback"
but not the good and great ones.

Andrew Johns
Jonathan Thurston
Ricky Stuart
Peter Sterling
Allan Langer

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You can manufacture a player to be an average halfback and than call them a "halfback"
but not the good and great ones.

Andrew Johns
Jonathan Thurston
Ricky Stuart
Peter Sterling
Allan Langer
There's fuck all "halfbacks" around these days, what was once considered good or great in that role is totally different now due to the style of play and focus on pure athletic ability. I wasn't around when these other guys played though and I'm only basing it on what I've seen from older vision.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Have people forgotten how we won those last few games built on defence and Lewis was a big part of that. He definitely saved a few tries alone. Like the article reads he has top 10 stats for one on one tackles handling guys like Sam Burgess all game. I know he missed a couple in the last game but 3 try assists in 1 game. How long has it been since we had another player with 3 try assist in a game ? He definitely deserves another season before making any rash decisions. I'd really like to see how he would perform at hooker. He's also the only player at the club who can kick the ball for decent metres on the 5th if we're trapped in our own half and need some field position back or to gain decent metres from penalty kicks for the sideline. He also puts bombs higher to give us more chance of competing for the ball (if we give a decent chase that is). If we lost him I fear many of those games we win with defence we'll lose. I agree that Cogger offers more in attack but not by much. I think he's only good for maybe an average of 1-2 try assists a game. Lewis can save 1-2 tries a game. It would be good to have both but I guess Foran is usually good for 1-2 try assists a game so Pay probably thinks we need Lewis for his defence more than Cogger for his attack while Foran's on the field and I'd have to agree. If Lewis can also create 1 or 2 assists a game then that's a bonus.
"Lewis was ninth in the competition for one-on-one tackles in 2019, producing 63 from just his 15 games. In comparison Jake Trbojevic led the competition with 92 and is one of the NRL’s best tacklers."

If he played the whole season he'd be #1 in one on one tackles. Best pure defender in the competition. He adds the value of another player in defence, which is so important

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score

100%.