News Flanagan cleared for return as assistant coach

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/20/flanagan-cleared-for-return-as-assistant-coach/

Former Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan will be eligible for registration as an assistant coach at any NRL club for the 2020 and 2021 seasons after meeting with NRL CEO Todd Greenberg on Friday.

Flanagan's registration comes with strict contingencies and a range of conditions made by the NRL and does not include a guarantee or return date for a head coaching role in the future.

Flanagan was de-registered by the NRL in 2018 after being found to have been dealing with his former club in a coaching capacity while suspended in 2014.

Today I met with the NRL and I both respect and accept the course of action they have taken," Flanagan said in a statement.

"I look forward to returning to the coaching ranks, firstly as an assistant coach and hopefully one day a head coach again."

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You wouldn’t really feel comfortable being a head coach when your club hires Flanagan as a assistant....

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hes a premiership winning coach.. Putting all that Peptide stuff aside he did build & assemble a very good team ..

Would be great to have him assisting Pay..

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
a lot of transperancy mr greenberg.

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only issue I see is he can't be a full time coach until 2022.

If Pay had a good year next year, with Flanagan as assistant, would he take on just a one year contract? If he had a shit year, who's gonna take a one year gig until Flano is available...

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Only issue I see is he can't be a full time coach until 2022.

If Pay had a good year next year, with Flanagan as assistant, would he take on just a one year contract? If he had a shit year, who's gonna take a one year gig until Flano is available...
Mate they can just set it up so flanno is the head coach and pay rocks up to the pressers

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Define "Assistant" ...

Heck clubs would pay him the assistant coach salary to comply but would make him work like a head coach.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Hes a premiership winning coach.. Putting all that Peptide stuff aside he did build & assemble a very good team ..

Would be great to have him assisting Pay..
I think anyone could assemble a very good team if you ignore the Salary cap. Not a fan of him and not a fan of the NRL as usual being soft. This sport will die under this current leadership, it's already on life support IMO.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Define "Assistant" ...

Heck clubs would pay him the assistant coach salary to comply but would make him work like a head coach.
Flanno strikes me as the ultimate my way or the highway type of person I’m not sure how he would go being a assistant again.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Surely he goes back to the dragons and takes over as head coach when able

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Roosters bound lol

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can confirm that a meeting is taking place tomorrow at 9.00am.

Malla

Reaction score
Dunno about Dragons. Mary looks like hes getting the sack within the first 5 rounds next year. No point having Flanno there if he cant take his gig until 2022.

I reckon he will end up at Warriors

We dont need him tbh.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno about Dragons. Mary looks like hes getting the sack within the first 5 rounds next year. No point having Flanno there if he cant take his gig until 2022.

I reckon he will end up at Warriors

We dont need him tbh.
He does not want to leave Sydney... he’s made that clear, otherwise he would’ve taken the super league gig...

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d take him is pretty good at luring players too let him come and play bridesmaid to pay

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can he go be an assistant at the Sharks or is everything to do with the Sharks off limits for Flanagan?