News Why Brisbane Broncos should bring Lachlan Lewis ‘home’ to Red Hill

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brisbane’s answer to their No.7 crisis could lie in one of the club’s most famous names.
A wholesale review of the club’s playing roster gives the Broncos the perfect chance to have another crack at signing Canterbury playmaker Lachlan Lewis - the nephew of Immortal Wally ‘The King’ Lewis.

The Red Hill hierarchy expressed interest in the now-23-year-old last year when he was on the market, only to eventually pinch Sean O’Sullivan from the Roosters instead.

Lewis subsequently earned a new two-year deal at Belmore and played 15 games for the Bulldogs this season, taking his career tally to 24.

But his 2019 campaign wasn’t all champagne and roses. He spent time playing reserve grade, bumped from the NRL by Jack Cogger, and also battled injury at times.

He rallied to finish the season as a lock in the starting side and did enough to suggest he will be first-choice halves partner to Kieran Foran next year.

Astonishingly, Lewis was ninth in the competition for one-on-one tackles in 2019, producing 63 from just his 15 games. In comparison Jake Trbojevic led the competition with 92 and is one of the NRL’s best tacklers.

Lewis famously went head-to-head with South Sydney enforcer Sam Burgess and handled one of rugby league’s most intimidating jobs with aplomb.

That defensive grit could serve Brisbane perfectly as coach Anthony Seibold searches for players who can muscle up when times are tough.

Lewis also tore the Broncos apart with three try assists in Canterbury’s last game of the season.

Lewis is free to negotiate with rival clubs from November 1 but foxsports.com.au can reveal the Bulldogs are yet to come to the table with an offer to keep the kid beyond 2020.

Colloquially referred to by fans as the Prince of Belmore, Lewis has previously stated his desire to remain at the Bulldogs and become their long-term halfback.

But if the club doesn’t table a significant upgrade and extension foxsports.com.au understands Lewis’ management are prepared to take their player to market.

And the Broncos could be the beneficiary.

Lewis will earn about $150,000 at the Bulldogs in 2020 but should command more as a regular starting playmaker.

Brisbane has this week been linked to both Brodie Croft and Aidan Sezer, who would likely come at a higher price than Lewis.

Lewis has family in Brisbane, as does his partner Stephanie, and the couple welcomed their first child in May.

His famous uncle Wally played 46 games for the club and is a Queensland legend. There hasn’t been a Lewis playing at Red Hill since 1990.

The Broncos are crying out for a halfback who can give the team some direction and shore up their defensive line.

Coach Seibold promised a sweeping review of the playing roster following Sunday’s 58-0 drubbing at the hands of Parramatta.

Darius Boyd and Anthony Milford - who both played in the halves this year - could be punted as a result of the review.

The Broncos have banked on rookie playmaker Tom Dearden to be at the club long-term. O’Sullivan was a back-up this year but finished the season injured.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...UgCyeMKfWGvhE6P0aSuqI0pzPp7-6O7X85wSrkrtrqZdY

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'll swap him for someone, but not give him away.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they are looking for a halfback who can give direction then Lewis isn’t for them. He has none. Can’t pass right to left, can’t grubber in goal but is the master probably the GOAT at doing a mid field nothing bomb to opposing sides

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we re-sign him he’s shit
If we let him go the same people will blow up saying we should’ve kept him

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Highly doubt he will go to the Broncos it been mentioned before there is bad blood there and is why he went to Canberra

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Highly doubt he will go to the Broncos it been mentioned before there is bad blood there and is why he went to Canberra
money fixes all bad history

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he's next to no chance of going to Brisbane.

Doesn't want much to do with his uncle from past media reports and wouldn't want to live in his shadow.

But he'll likely end up elsewhere.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe he can go to the broncs an play 47 games lol..

I mean when he came onto the scene he was the next big thing, and cane in very well at the time, however was overhyped and short lived, he’s not terrible all an all, but I wouldn’t mind if he goes elsewhere..!!

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LOL The Broncos are going to have about 10 Fullbacks and 10 5/8s on their books.

They need a real Halfback. Honestly you throw Maloney into that side, and they're a top 4 group.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’d happily keep him, as I think he may have a future as a lock, but I’m not willing to get in a bidding war over him.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that the Broncos overlooked him and he wasn’t very happy at all about that. But then again money talks.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Lewis will develop awesome defender future qld player he’s unorthodox in his footy but he pulls it off. Set try’s up against eels and broncos and saved many tries this year

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also he already said he wants to forge his own Lewis name not at the broncos. Dogs will have money to keep him and Foran said he prefers playing with Lewis