Social Media Shane flanagan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
NRL rules out early return for deregistered Flanagan

The NRL have not been contacted by the Dragons to discuss the possibility of Shane Flanagan coaching the club in 2020.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg met privately with Flanagan at the governing body's Moore Park headquarters last Tuesday, which sparked talk that the former Cronulla coach could return to the coaching ranks as soon as next season.

An NRL official confirmed that the meeting took place but said the governing body would not budge and allow Flanagan to return to the game next year. The official also said that the Dragons had not contacted the NRL with regard to Flanagan.

Flanagan was deregistered last December after revelations that he was involved in recruitment and retention of players for the Sharks despite being under suspension for his role in the club's peptides scandal of 2014.

Cronulla were fined $500,000 for allowing Flanagan's involvement at the club while he was suspended, an amount that was reduced from $800,000 after the Sharks admitted guilt.

Flanagan has kept a relatively low profile in the nine months since but was spotted watching Paul Gallen's final match at Pointsbet Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Flanagan is free to coach in the English Super League but the NRL are yet to be convinced he should be permitted to lead one of their clubs in the near future.

News of the NRL's reluctance to register Flanagan rules out any possibility of the premiership-winning coach taking the reins at the Dragons, where Paul McGregor is under pressure.

A News Corp report on Tuesday suggested that McGregor may have his last match in charge against the Titans on Saturday night.

Sources close to the Dragons insist that McGregor will be given the start of next season to prove he is the right man for the job, but a full review of the club's disastrous season will kick off after the final siren sounds at Cbus Super Stadium.

The 15th-placed finish will be the worst in the joint venture's history.

McGregor has two more years under his current contract, and the Dragons would have to pay him out $1.2 million.

McGregor, who has led the club to finals appearances in 2015 and 2018, cut a forlorn figure after his team was thumped 42-14 by the Tigers at the SCG on Sunday.

"We care so much and we aren't seeing the results we want and the performances we need," McGregor said.

"I'm the coach. I'm the leader of the club. I think we all have to take responsibility throughout the club, but I'm the coach."

Highly rated Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon, who is a Wollongong local, has also been touted as a potential replacement for McGregor.

Fitzgibbon is content at the Roosters, however, having recently an extension with the tri-colours before knocking back an approach from the Knights.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...or-deregistered-flanagan-20190903-p52njl.html

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think Flanagan will be allowed to coach again in 2021. NRL wants him to be somewhat punished for what he did. I don't think they will keep him out of the game forever tho. If someone like Flanagan was available I wouldn't mind Pay being moved on and I think he'd understand (probably regardless of results). I'm all for sticking with Pay until someone like Flanagan is available tho (if it's a couple of years then that's how long he has to prove his worth, especially with the 2021 squad if he gets that - he'll be in the same position Nathan Brown was in this year then).

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We are coming good. Cronulla won one comp in all those years and were over the cap for 5 years. I don’t think Flanagan is a super coach
He’s a turd that won’t flush is what he is.

He should not be allowed anywhere near our club.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cant believe anyone entertains the thought of Flanagan. His a grubby dumb cheat that got caught... on numerous occasions.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuck selling our clubs soul to the devil for Flanno. I don't get why people think he is such a good coach, the **** is as dodgy as a used car salesman. I would rather persist with Pay, and that's saying something than have Flanno stench anywhere near us.

Banned
Reaction score
Flanno did wrong, yet also was hard done by and set up by the NRL.
I've posted it elsewhere, yet essentially, Greenturd stated one thing, yet the ethics committee went of another, which conflicted with the original advise given to Flanno.
Apparently the NRL are considering allowing Flanno back next year in an assistant coach role.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I've posted it elsewhere, yet essentially, Greenturd stated one thing, yet the ethics committee went of another, which conflicted with the original advise given to Flanno.
Apparently the NRL are considering allowing Flanno back next year in an assistant coach role.
He was lucky to survive the peptides saga and is an arrogant grub

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine if Flanagan was the dogs coach when all this happened .. different rules for different clubs. I heard the only reason the sharks get treatment is the nrl has them as the club most likely to fold.. more support means the more the team likely to stay

Banned
Reaction score
He was lucky to survive the peptides saga and is an arrogant grub
Replace arrogant grub, with ignorant grub to describe Deano, and would you wear it?
Truthfully, we both know the answer, so at least afford the level playing field of respect to both.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't want that cheating **** Flanagan's name tarnishing our club. He also seems like an absolute tool.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
The dragons are interested in signing flanagan as their coach, looks like Mary's days are over
If they are successful in getting him then that's another good option off the table
You are assuming most people are still unhappy with Pay for the time being.

You're assumptions are wrong. Quit your stinking agenda.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Replace arrogant grub, with ignorant grub to describe Deano, and would you wear it?
Truthfully, we both know the answer, so at least afford the level playing field of respect to both.
Do you know Shane personally?
I unfortunately do. He’s an arrogant grub and had a hat trick of serious rule breaches in a matter of years. The comparison to Dean Pay is not relevant

Banned
Reaction score
Do you know Shane personally?
I unfortunately do. He’s an arrogant grub and had a hat trick of serious rule breaches in a matter of years. The comparison to Dean Pay is not relevant
Says a lot about you that as a human, you can't afford another basic respect :(

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Says a lot about you that as a human, you can't afford another basic respect :(
Respect is earned and believe me, I give people many chances. There is a lot more to this whole debacle and I don’t want him anywhere near our club

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Mmm Roosters lose their assistant to the Knights and Kyle Flanagan is at the Roosters now... seems like rules for some if so

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We are coming good. Cronulla won one comp in all those years and were over the cap for 5 years. I don’t think Flanagan is a super coach
Pay needs more time.we saw some good footy in the back end of the season.if he can get us firing early and playing some good footy and keep our defence rock solid he will be our coach for a few years yet.all the young guys have gained some good experience this year.a good off season together will be good for us.
I just want our conditioning to improve cause we were very lethargic early on and were gased by 60 min mark in most games.

Status
Not open for further replies.