Dogs want to sign Joey Leilua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it means bringing his little brother over I'd be all for it. Imagine an edge attack of the two Leiluas and Smith.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can’t really compare the two if Cam Murray was coming off contract I doubt he’s signing for $550k.
Murray signed that deal at the end of last season. The point is, you can do a hell of a lot better with 550k than Leilua or Napa. Look at Ryan Matterson, he's way better value. I'd rather save our bigger money purchases for spine players or players with less baggage and question marks than Leilua comes with.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the normal world yes. But when applying the Roosters philosophy and accounting methods 3+3= 3. Where there is a will there is a way and plenty of will at the Roosters....
Where there is plenty of will, I guess there is plenty of ways to.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Murray signed that deal at the end of last season. The point is, you can do a hell of a lot better with 550k than Leilua or Napa. Look at Ryan Matterson, he's way better value. I'd rather save our bigger money purchases for spine players or players with less baggage and question marks than Leilua comes with.
Murray’s value would have increased significantly from last year I’d say. Who knows the actual values we are talking about with Leilua though? We are just guessing. I’m not sure Matterson is the best example of signing someone on unders because as soon as players realise they are worth more they cause trouble these days. I don’t think you can just wait around until a player comes along that perfectly fits a situation because it rarely happens that way. Going into another year with Montoya or Holland at centre again just isn’t going to cut it we need to do something there and Leilua is a improvement

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Murray’s value would have increased significantly from last year I’d say. Who knows the actual values we are talking about with Leilua though? We are just guessing. I’m not sure Matterson is the best example of signing someone on unders because as soon as players realise they are worth more they cause trouble these days. I don’t think you can just wait around until a player comes along that perfectly fits a situation because it rarely happens that way. Going into another year with Montoya or Holland at centre again just isn’t going to cut it we need to do something there and Leilua is a improvement
There are a few things we can do.
1. move Reimis to Centre, Okunbor on the Wing and swap Hopoate to the left.
2. play Harper
We don't want to jeopardise our 2021 signings and "expected success" by being slightly better in 2020. Leilua is a player I'd personally avoid for 600k. 400-500k (similar to Ramien, who I'd of personally wanted over Leilua) would be decent.
We'll know our 2021 signings before the start of the season next year (we're going to start acting on 2021 recruitment as soon as November hits), Leilua would be one of the last players on the list we'd go for (unless we could get him for 400-500k and even then I'm really not sure myself).

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are a few things we can do.
1. move Reimis to Centre, Okunbor on the Wing and swap Hopoate to the left.
2. play Harper
We don't want to jeopardise our 2021 signings and "expected success" by being slightly better in 2020.
Yeah they are all options but none really excite me to be honest and just seem like stop gap options. You can get a player in now like Leilua and if it works it’s one piece of the puzzle sorted so the focus can be shifted to other positions.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah they are all options but none really excite me to be honest and just seem like stop gap options. You can get a player in now like Leilua and if it works it’s one piece of the puzzle sorted so the focus can be shifted to other positions.
I think the situation will be similar to Ramien, the price has to be right (which means it's very unlikely we'll sign him anyways, I think he does have less competition then Ramien tho, so maybe).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the situation will be similar to Ramien, the price has to be right (which means it's very unlikely we'll sign him anyways, I think he does have less competition then Ramien tho, so maybe).
Yeah exactly the club has shown they are competent with spending within their means and not bowing to player agent demands with money. If we did sign him I’m confident it would be a good deal for the club. I want him because he would strengthen the backline but he’s not a must have player and if we don’t get him we move on to the next one.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah exactly the club has shown they are competent with spending within their means and not bowing to player agent demands with money. If we did sign him I’m confident it would be a good deal for the club. I want him because he would strengthen the backline but he’s not a must have player and if we don’t get him we move on to the next one.
I agree. If it was 600k/400k/400k with the Raiders paying 100-200k for 2020 then I wouldn't mind it. 500k's pushing it, but maybe. 600k no way for me.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Raiders would only have to contribute next year, after that it's all us. If it was a 400-500k contract for 3 years and Raiders pay 100-200k towards next year, so it's 600k/400k/400k (for example) then that'd be alright. If we pay enough money we can get anyone, which includes Latrell and Manu. Manu for 700k is way better then Leilua for 600k. I think Leilua would be a last resort towards the end of the transfer window if we missed out on all other Centre options, which really isn't possible. We're going to be linked to every reject on the market anyways. Unless we can get them for a good price we're not going to sign them (already been plenty of examples).
I understand how it works when somebody contributes it’s obviously only for the period they were still on contract with that club. But 2021 we have more room to move in the cap anyway that’s why I said he wouldn’t break the bank. Cant wait till Manu officially resigns and then Latrell shortly after (although Souths will throw Inglis money at him) then you can let that go. ...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I understand how it works when somebody contributes it’s obviously only for the period they were still on contract with that club. But 2021 we have more room to move in the cap anyway that’s why I said he wouldn’t break the bank. Cant wait till Manu officially resigns and then Latrell shortly after (although Souths will throw Inglis money at him) then you can let that go. ...
We'll know who we're signing for 2021 before the start of next season. 2021 recruitment starts in November. We don't have to rush to sign someone like Leilua unless the price is right (similar to all the other targets we've been linked to). We might have to set some dead lines, but there is a big list of targets we have to get through and some we're going to be willing to pay more then what they're "worth" which increases our chances of getting them and they're the best players in that position.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Rabbitohs are only competition for Latrell if they're going to play him Fullback, they're not going to pay $1m like I think we would to play him Centre (doesn't mean we would, but I think it's more possible then Rabbitohs). It doesn't matter saying players will resign, because until they've done it they're an option/target (and they're waiting for a reason, and 1 would think more money is definitely one of them).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's no way Holland or Montoya should play FG again for us. I'm happy if Harper, Averillo or someone else on the cheap does the job for another year or so until the right player comes along. I don't think Leilua is that player for the money he'd be asking for.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think everyone agrees Montoya and holland don’t belong in first grade ever again. That said not sure if leuila is a option I’d go for.

I agree he’s a huge upgrade for us. Though fuck latrell, manu, cotric, staggs all should be sounded out legally and illegally

To be honest I’d almost rather see smith in centre and semi outside. What he brings in hit ups would be huge besides his ability to attack

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We'll know who we're signing for 2021 before the start of next season. 2021 recruitment starts in November. We don't have to rush to sign someone like Leilua unless the price is right (similar to all the other targets we've been linked to).
For other clubs targeting players not in their roster it does but the current clubs can upgrade or negotiate their contracts any time and roosters are reportedly about to lock Manu up and Latrell will be just behind.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
We should of went for waqa Blake ffs

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Rabbitohs are only competition for Latrell if they're going to play him Fullback, they're not going to pay $1m like I think we would to play him Centre (doesn't mean we would, but I think it's more possible then Rabbitohs). It doesn't matter saying players will resign, because until they've done it they're an option/target (and they're waiting for a reason, and 1 would think more money is definitely one of them).
No not necessarily they could play him at 6. They have told Cody Walker to explore options, Inglis money is free next year and Sutton retiring Burgess moving on besides upgrading the obvious Cam Murray they are moving pieces in the chest board to make a big play for someone - can only guess Latrell who will also be motivated by being an indigenous role model in the community.[/QUOTE]

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
No not necessarily they could play him at 6. They have told Cody Walker to explore options, Inglis money is free next year and Sutton retiring Burgess moving on besides upgrading the obvious Cam Murray they are moving pieces in the chest board to make a big play for someone - can only guess Latrell who will also be motivated by being an indigenous role model in the community.
[/QUOTE]

Sutton’s on nothing these days like Gallen just been taking low deals for the loyalty to club on 1 year deals.

Don’t forget cook would be on a big deal. Reynolds, sburgess, gagai, walker etc.

Added Roberts mid year who wouldn’t be on peanuts. I don’t think Inglis money is there for latrell.

My view anyway.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
For other clubs targeting players not in their roster it does but the current clubs can upgrade or negotiate their contracts any time and roosters are reportedly about to lock Manu up and Latrell will be just behind.
Their current clubs would of liked to of done it already. There is a reason why they're waiting... until they're resigned they're options/targets. Literally no reason for them to sign a contract with the Roosters as they know they have big $ contracts (and maybe even stupid amounts) coming their way from other clubs that Roosters won't match. They've let their contracts run down to 1 month before other clubs can negotiate, they might as well see what offers they get, even if it's a 100k upgrade (or more then they wanted) from the Roosters to stay.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How the fuck is 27 old
When did I say he was old? I said he's 27 years old. But for an outside back, at that age your best football is probably behind you. Especially for someone who as unfit and overweight as Leilua is.

Status
Not open for further replies.