Panthers Releasing players

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FMD They love releasing under contract players.. usually decent names.. and they usually release them after signing them to long term deals

Regan GC
Waqa Blake
DWZ
Maloney

Latu
Cartwright
Moylan
Jennings
Coote
Wade Graham
Luke Lewis

Add to that they sack Griffin and replace him Cleary who doesnt even make finals

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There huge junior base prolly doesn’t help to be honest
Always some young kid coming thur killing it and can pay em less money
That’s prolly half the drama to be honest

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This will probably mean they will be cashed up for some big signings. I think there will be a bidding war between them ans us when the floodgates open for the cream of the crop players.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This will probably mean they will be cashed up for some big signings. I think there will be a bidding war between them ans us when the floodgates open for the cream of the crop players.
True.. but they like to trot out the line they are a development club..

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FMD They love releasing under contract players.. usually decent names.. and they usually release them after signing them to long term deals

Regan GC
Waqa Blake
DWZ
Maloney

Latu
Cartwright
Moylan
Jennings
Coote
Wade Graham
Luke Lewis

Add to that they sack Griffin and replace him Cleary who doesnt even make finals
I don’t know what the story was exactly with the hiring of Cleary as coach. It seems as though Gould was against it and that was one of the major reasons he left and hiring a coach should be part of his job.

I'm yet to see how the decision to punt Griffin has worked out well with the club going backwards big time. Cleary also did a ‘clean out’ at the Tigers and they didn’t do anything either. At some stage people will realise he’s a myth as a coach and that his son is just an above average footballer with a famous last name

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And they will all be linked to us :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t know what the story was exactly with the hiring of Cleary as coach. It seems as though Gould was against it and that was one of the major reasons he left and hiring a coach should be part of his job.

I'm yet to see how the decision to punt Griffin has worked out well with the club going backwards big time. Cleary also did a ‘clean out’ at the Tigers and they didn’t do anything either. At some stage people will realise he’s a myth as a coach and that his son is just an above average footballer with a famous last name
I think in part, the decision to bring Cleary back might have been aimed at getting his son to re sign. As far as it goes, he's shown periods of form. But it's a matter of being able to produce form consistently that counts. Halves get fawned over though. It's pretty common for that to happen.

Cleary has shown some success at the Warriors, but has struggled since. Seems to get the youngsters playing ok though.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True.. but they like to trot out the line they are a development club..
Junior development is definitely one of their strengths. It hasn't translated into the premierships they'd like though.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think most long term deals don't work out well.

Add RCG to that list, Parra signed him for 5 years, big gamble.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think in part, the decision to bring Cleary back might have been aimed at getting his son to re sign. As far as it goes, he's shown periods of form. But it's a matter of being able to produce form consistently that counts. Halves get fawned over though. It's pretty common for that to happen.

Cleary has shown some success at the Warriors, but has struggled since. Seems to get the youngsters playing ok though.
He’s a myth. He’s been living off that reputation gained from reaching one grand final with the Warriors and that was in 2011. Since then I think he may have only made the finals once in 2014 when we beat them in the preliminary final. He’s very lucky to be coaching in the league considering he has a career losing record.
I’d like to know the reason Griffin was sacked because he’s had Penrith playing the best since their grand final win.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Junior development is definitely one of their strengths. It hasn't translated into the premierships they'd like though.
Junior development must be overrated when it comes to premierships... Panthers and Brisbane have no premierships since 2006.. Others since have won the comp mainly off recruiting quality First Graders..

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is gus put everyone on inflated contracts double there worth.
Massive fuck up. Des hasler like. And people want him running our club. Idiots.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the signing of Ivan Cleary served two purposes:

(1) keeping Nathan Cleary at the club; and

(2) limiting Gould's influence at the club and ultimately getting rid of Gus... Gould actually wanted to bring Wayne Bennett to coach the Panthers and I think they had agreed in principle but the club agreed with Cleary without Gus' knowledge

But I don't think the Panthers are fully aware of the problems yet to come in banking on Nathan almost totally, and the issues of nepotism that will follow Ivan when things don't work out

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the signing of Ivan Cleary served two purposes:

(1) keeping Nathan Cleary at the club; and

(2) limiting Gould's influence at the club and ultimately getting rid of Gus... Gould actually wanted to bring Wayne Bennett to coach the Panthers and I think they had agreed in principle but the club agreed with Cleary without Gus' knowledge

But I don't think the Panthers are fully aware of the problems yet to come in banking on Nathan almost totally, and the issues of nepotism that will follow Ivan when things don't work out
^ Yes, exactly what I was going to say.
Bennett was ready to go with Gus but the club swept the rug from under them.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ Yes, exactly what I was going to say.
Bennett was ready to go with Gus but the club swept the rug from under them.
Thanks for the info. What a terrible decision that has turned out to be so far.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There huge junior base prolly doesn’t help to be honest
Always some young kid coming thur killing it and can pay em less money
That’s prolly half the drama to be honest
True.. theyve been chopping and changing their FG side for so long now.. bringing in the next best kid etc..

Theyve had so many 'next best kids' for eg at fullback they went from Coote to Moylan to DWZ to Edwards and now Caleb Aiken