Ch 9 News (inc DannyW) Nrl club to be axed for Brisbane team.

Who would you get rid of?

• Manly

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Sharks

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Gold coast

Votes: 23 51.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If there is any axing to be done it should start with Todd Greenberg, beattie has already jumped ship after his debacle as chairman. Time for you to go Greenberg you and your cronies have ruined our game

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Last week Weisler wrote an article about tv ratings plummeting, this week that channel 9 (owners of SMH and Weisler's employer) want teams moved to ensure better tv ratings.
It's just a beat up by the channel 9 conglomerate to attempt to pay less for the broadcast rights in the future.
Interestingly, Peter V'Landys who some suggest will replace Beattie as chairman of the IC has strong relationships with Channel 7 thru his racing contacts...
If Channel 9 lose the rugby league they'll have nothing left.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Who cares what channel 9 wants.

If they want increased viewers put together a decent commentary team rather than has been hacks.

But I would never argue with the sharks being relocated, hopefully right out of the comp.
And we get their junior catchment/clubs etc :grinning:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As much as I hate the cheating Sharts and Manly, it seems like a piss poor idea to axe any team that's been around for the best part of a century in order to hopefully get an intercity rivalry going.

Basically let's piss off up to 30,000-40,0000 fans by killing off their club in hopes of diluting the fan base in Brisbane to create rivalry there. We can already see that you can't just implant a team somewhere and expect the fans to flock to them with the Titans experiment as well as the rams etc.

If they wanted to set up a second tier competition and have the wooden spooner from the NRL demote with the second tier premiership winner promoting it might go down better. But they'd have to invest heavily in this as opposed to thinking that ousting a team would be a moneymaker.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CQ is where they need another club.
Fuck Brisbane, they won’t get the support that Broncs get. Broncs don’t want it either they now get the 3rd party monopoly, this way that might be evenly spread.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck the Titans off. They have no soul.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Man City pls

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't get the hate for the Channel 9 commentary team...

I think they are fine. Sterling, Johns, Fittler especially are great.
Sterling is about the only good one, Johns to some extent.

Matt Thompson, Slater, Thaiday and similar types are terrible. Even Thurston to some extent, a champion player doesn't automatically make a great media personality.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not taking this story real serious but I'm surprised they're talking about axing a team, as opposed to relocating them. Anyhows, do we really need Crushers 2.0 ?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah lost me at Broadcater's director. Any of this stuff has to be about the sport as a whole and not about the ratings vulchers. They can fuk off!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Sterling is about the only good one, Johns to some extent.

Matt Thompson, Slater, Thaiday and similar types are terrible. Even Thurston to some extent, a champion player doesn't automatically make a great media personality.
Slater is a good commentator imo. Less is more and he doesn't overplay his hand

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Titans all the way!!!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greenberg wouldn’t have the balls to piss off that many fans.

Scrapping or relocating a Sydney team would be his deathnell, the papers would smash him

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In an ideal world you’d cut two Sydney teams and create another club in QLD and one in Perth. Will never happen though.

A team in Perth isn’t easy though, a lot of people live and breath AFL and so any team set up there would need some early success to get the people behind them. Not to mention the distance, takes 5 hours to get from Sydney to Perth.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How disgraceful a television station deciding the future of clubs when their only interested in betting and money.
Forget about the supporters wherever their from. I dislike some clubs but this decision should be made by the clubs who are the nrl not channel 9
Can you imagine if it was Manly and Hitler is unemployed again...
He needn't worry...We'll give him a job at Belmore...Toilet cleaning :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Isn't it weird, I posted something like this earlier Today.
I have been saying it for years...9 Network & News Ltd run the game and people in charge at the NRL they are nothing but useless bunch of puppets !!!

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
if they want increased viewers then they should change all the names to Australia

Australia Bulldogs, Australia Sharks, Australia Broncos

or how about world sharks etc
Australia New Zealand warriors or just call then the ANZACS

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully their not thinking of the
"Brisbane Bulldogs"

I do like the sound of the
"North Brisbane Bears"

Or maybe just the
"South Queensland Titans"
With most home games in Brisbane & a few at Robina.
Add alot of Maroon to their jumper & get XXXX as their main sponser.

Whoever decided to name them the Titans & chose the colours needs a good flogging.