• Poll closed .

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Halfway through the season the majority of posters here wanted Dean Pay gone. Since then we've won 6 of our last 8 games and are 1 of the in form teams in the NRL. 3 of the 6 wins were against top 8 teams with the other 3 being against teams coming 9th, 10th and 11th.

Has he earnt another season as coach or is it too late?

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can’t do a st George and sign him up if he wins 3 straight early next season... if they are as patient with their recruiting they should also be patient with pays coaching and see where he is at come mid July, beginning August before making a decision on extension... if another slow start occurs I guess we all know where it will be heading for pay

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s earned the right to start next season after the last few weeks and there really isn’t any decent alternatives available at the minute now Holbrook and O’Brien have been snapped up.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s earned the right to start next season after the last few weeks and there really isn’t any decent alternatives available at the minute now Holbrook and O’Brien have been snapped up.
Who said O’Brien is a good coach anyway... just because the rooster loving media puppets said so???

Flanagan is my pick if pat gets the chop from a slow start if that occurs

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep deserves to be coach in 20 tough last two years year 3 is when we should judge

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Who said O’Brien is a good coach anyway... just because the rooster loving media puppets said so???

The NRL wouldn't register him to coach the Knights so we don't know if they'd register him to coach us.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Who knows if O’Brien is good or not until he starts coaching although he does have a good pedigree. He’s been highly rated long before he went to the Roosters.

Flanagan would be my pick too.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he should start the season and as others have said let's see what happens around May/June, it's not like other clubs are going to be desperate to sign Pay.

I hope he makes the best use of the off-season with at least 2 trials and hopefully Steve Price takes a serious look at our strength and conditioning in his GM role.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I voted yes, with a waiver.

I want a Canterbury guy in charge but for a long while was unconvinced he was up to the task. Something has gelled and I certainly love how things have panned out the last 8-10 weeks team wise, player recruitment + the addition of some of the new support staff.

He has now definitely earned the right to show us (sponsors, supporters, members) next year that we are still headed up and I reckon should be judged on the opening 10 rounds.

If we still look positive and win at least 5 or 6 of those rounds he should get an extension.

Maybe, just maybe he has worked out how to bring the madness..

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Why bring someone in next year when we still have no cap? Just see how Dean goes next year, because honestly there is no way we are winning the comp anyway.

If it goes really badly look to replace him before the season ends with the highest profile coach we can get. If he defies all expectation and we make the finals and maybe even compete in them, then maybe we even keep him going.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
At this point in time I can’t see how it’s a discussion.
I definitely would have replaced him several months back, and to be honest still don’t see him as leading us to the top of the tree.
In saying that, he along with whoever is now supporting him, have instilled believe and attitude that we’ve sadly been missing from our squad over past 3/4 years. He needs commending for that as I believe it is the first stage of growth and rejuvenation needed.
Critical next steps are recruitment and style of play development and we have a coach we are taking on trust not evidence as I see it. As others have said, next year is a better measurement, particularly the first third of the season. We do still need some quality signings to boost our squads depth.
I hope he’s our man and based on last 2 months, have to back him.

.........I also thank god for delivering DWZ to us

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not having a go at anyone but can we stop with the Flanagan shit please the guy is a cheating, lying scum bag who is banned and may never be reinstated to coach NRL level again.

Cheated his way to a premiership with a team that was over the cap for years and still is. I don't care if he is a "better", and (I use that word loosely) coach.

He has shit stuck to him and I don't want him stinking up our club with all the work that's being done to turn us around. We are already a team that is highly scrutinized by media and others, Flanagan would give them even more fuel.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Halfway through the season the majority of posters here wanted Dean Pay gone.
To be fair it seemed to be more like the greenies, a loud and irritating minority or those who haven’t supported the dogs long enough or aren’t intelligent enough to comprehend the gravity of the situation Dean Pay found himself in when inheriting that squad and salary cap situation.

Remember a recent premiership winning coach Madge Maguire looked at our books and said thanks but no thanks and went to the Tigers instead!

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he can now get the attack firing as well as the defence we are definitely a top 4 team for next year.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not having a go at anyone but can we stop with the Flanagan shit please the guy is a cheating, lying scum bag who is banned and may never be reinstated to coach NRL level again.

Cheated his way to a premiership with a team that was over the cap for years and still is. I don't care if he is a "better", and (I use that word loosely) coach.

He has shit stuck to him and I don't want him stinking up our club with all the work that's being done to turn us around. We are already a team that is highly scrutinized by media and others, Flanagan would give them even more fuel.
Can’t stand him don’t want him near our club

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve got no problem keeping dean for next year,but he’s got to sort out our pre season and have the squad playing like we are now at the start of the season. I still don’t understand why he left Cogger on the bench the other night, Imo if Cogger comes on with 20 to go we score some more points