Opinion RFM full-time prop?

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have thought when we had jj, martin, chn and rfm at the start of the season, one of them had to go to the middle. His size, ability to offload and experience in the middle during junior days made him a better option than others.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I would have thought when we had jj, martin, chn and rfm at the start of the season, one of them had to go to the middle. His size, ability to offload and experience in the middle during junior days made him a better option than others.
All part of a good coaches decision making. At last common sense, professional, big idea decisions are apparently being made to our selections and gameplan.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He scored one try in the first game then did just about fuck all

Just a quick look at his stats currently available show that he certainly did more than "just about fuck all".

13 games
Avg 110.85 rm per game
Avg 43.9 pcm per game
Avg 26 tackle per game
Avg 1.6 missed tackle per game
2 tries
2 line breaks
23 offloads
39 tackle breaks

That's hardly fuck all. During this period RFM earned plenty of praise on here and from pundits and was considered one of our only threats at the time. You obviously don't enjoy his style of play or have some other reason for not liking him, but he certainly didn't do fuck all.

He's a great athlete with explosive power and the ability to offload, it's an absolute no brainer to persist with him while he's contracted and while we have minimal players in the squad that can do what he does. His last two games through the middle were defenitely a major positive for the club moving forward

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick look at his stats currently available show that he certainly did more than "just about fuck all".

13 games
Avg 110.85 rm per game
Avg 43.9 pcm per game
Avg 26 tackle per game
Avg 1.6 missed tackle per game
2 tries
2 line breaks
23 offloads
39 tackle breaks

That's hardly fuck all. During this period RFM earned plenty of praise on here and from pundits and was considered one of our only threats at the time. You obviously don't enjoy his style of play or have some other reason for not liking him, but he certainly didn't do fuck all.

He's a great athlete with explosive power and the ability to offload, it's an absolute no brainer to persist with him while he's contracted and while we have minimal players in the squad that can do what he does. His last two games through the middle were defenitely a major positive for the club moving forward
We also have to factor the fact that just about everyone in the team improved in last few games of last year. He didnt have that opportunity due to injury. Had he played when we won 4 out last 6, id say that stats most likely would improve.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Surprised it has taken Pay so long to figure out RFM and Renuf are our best options for bench middles.
Now we just need Ogen back in there as well.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay is starting to make some really good calls. I suppose you learn as you go.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Maybe Pricey is having some input??
Hill mentioned in one of the articles posted on here that they have recruited certain staff to help Pay while some members have previously claimed there has been changes made behind the scenes with certain individuals taking on different roles.

I guess the club has seen weaknesses in the coaching department and think they can solve them with certain changes rather then recruiting a new head coach. The best coaches in world sport also have some of the best support staff around them playing major roles so this is defenitely something I can get behind even if it isn't the exact path I wanted the club to take lol

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hill mentioned in one of the articles posted on here that they have recruited certain staff to help Pay while some members have previously claimed there has been changes made behind the scenes with certain individuals taking on different roles.

I guess the club has seen weaknesses in the coaching department and think they can solve them with certain changes rather then recruiting a new head coach. The best coaches in world sport also have some of the best support staff around them playing major roles so this is defenitely something I can get behind even if it isn't the exact path I wanted the club to take lol
Yeah agree mate. Having someone to help out may have taken some of the pressure off Pay? Who knows, but there's definitely a different style of play been implemented of late. Far from what's required but a step in the right direction.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah agree mate. Having someone to help out may have taken some of the pressure off Pay? Who knows, but there's definitely a different style of play been implemented of late. Far from what's required but a step in the right direction.
I've always thought Pay lacks attention to detail and is way to simple minded when it comes to the the modern game and it's why I've been against him for so long...but if we now have certain other staff taking on a bigger role and working in certain areas then maybe Pay can stick to what he does well and hopefully everything will fall into place.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully a different pre season programme. Whatever they did for past 2 seasons had failed

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hopefully a different pre season programme. Whatever they did for past 2 seasons had failed
Yh that's probably my number 1 thing I want the club to nail next season, a few of us have already spoken about it on here. We need to be better conditioned when we start the season and certain players may need a little more work in certain areas.

Tolman for example has a massive motor but we really need to focus on his explosiveness, while someone like To'omaga needs to work on his cardio...maybe we need to make changes in this department and have better player focused programs put in place to get the best out of each individual.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe Pricey is having some input??
Yes perhaps so. Just need the correct, and our best, bench. Other coaches have worked out the model of explosive bench (and we probably instigated it years ago) and it looks as though there's been assistance given to Dean in shortfall areas.

There's been definate improvements made and the team looks on board....but as many have said, it's a lot easier when there's no pressure.

Hope it's just the beginning.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dean Pay has always had a good opinion of RFM.
Just dont forget that during the season he was injured, and at other times he was not performing.
Maybe those two things went together. He was dropped because of a combination of those two things.
He has overcome both now, so it should be all systems go. Personally, I see him as a back rower and not a prop.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yh that's probably my number 1 thing I want the club to nail next season, a few of us have already spoken about it on here. We need to be better conditioned when we start the season and certain players may need a little more work in certain areas.

Tolman for example has a massive motor but we really need to focus on his explosiveness, while someone like To'omaga needs to work on his cardio...maybe we need to make changes in this department and have better player focused programs put in place to get the best out of each individual.
100%.
A big pre-season is non-negotiable.
Our S&C this year has not been up to scratch and it has shown.

There's definitely been some positive changes of late, if we can have the squad bedded down with a really strong off-season, we can hopefully start the season off right.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dean Pay has always had a good opinion of RFM.
Just dont forget that during the season he was injured, and at other times he was not performing.
Maybe those two things went together. He was dropped because of a combination of those two things.
He has overcome both now, so it should be all systems go. Personally, I see him as a back rower and not a prop.

I agree but I see him as a backrower who can also play in the middle and you need a bench player that can do that.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
We need to hold onto RFM. I've always rated him as a player. I think we should just persist with him at prop. DWZ needs to be on him like flies to shit waiting for that offload.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay is starting to make some really good calls. I suppose you learn as you go.
You figure it out as you go when you are an Assistant or Super League coach. Not as a NRL head coach at the Dogs

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
based on what he brought last week RFM could give playing prop a good go. Possible downsides are that he hasn't delivered consistently for a while, and his defence can be sus. If he can learn to maintain intensity over a couple of 20-25 min stints each game, he could be very good up front. It's worth a crack.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
DWZ and CHN will help bring out the best in RFM. I'd persevere with Ray in the middle whether it be at Prop/Lock, really effective against Souths.