STRONG COACH

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oh no man, don’t give @Wolfmother any more Ennis ammo, that’s the last things she needs - extra Ennis love ;)

To be fair, I think Ennis is a head coach in waiting, regardless of what a lot on here may think about him, aside from being a fearless competitor he does some very good analysis of games and has excellent all round footy nous.
2014 GF
2016 GF sharks
2019 Canberra Raiders

Common factor is Ennis

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Oh no man, don’t give @Wolfmother any more Ennis ammo, that’s the last things she needs - extra Ennis love ;)

To be fair, I think Ennis is a head coach in waiting, regardless of what a lot on here may think about him, aside from being a fearless competitor he does some very good analysis of games and has excellent all round footy nous.
Fair assessment. Good footy brain when you watch him comment on Fox. He may have to choose between a coaching or media career if he has a chance to become a head coach - not part time like he’s doing now or like Freddy does. Dogs should watch his coaching development progress - could be an option.

Banned
Reaction score
I sincerely believe that Shane would be a good fit with us, pending his headspace.
He, like us, has made mistakes.
Hopefully he, like us, learned from them (doubtful upon our behalf at times though).
He, like us, was hard done by and unfairly targeted by the league, other clubs and the media.
If he is willing to include appropriate clauses in a contract about adherence to rules/regulations and working with the clubs family culture as a core value, I strongly believe he will be an asset to us.

Ennis and Cronk are two I'd keep on the radar, or seek to sign up as junior coaches.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't call Flanagan a strong coach apparently ennis coached the sharksto there maiden premiership lol
Sign him up then

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
We need strong leadership . We need to recruit some talent but 1 or 2 veteran's. Sbw as much as i hate the guy he would be perfect to change the mentality in the place. 2021 won't buy us a premiership but recruiting the right guys for now and beyond plus developing the crop we have we build the foundation. It's the next marquee player we sign after that run will win us the premiership . The roosters bought in stara but had young talent there. Mitchell, Manu, the 2 Ts in the middle than add to that the veterans, they had the perfect mix. We are a long way away from being one of the big boys.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I sincerely believe that Shane would be a good fit with us, pending his headspace.
He, like us, has made mistakes.
Hopefully he, like us, learned from them (doubtful upon our behalf at times though).
He, like us, was hard done by and unfairly targeted by the league, other clubs and the media.
If he is willing to include appropriate clauses in a contract about adherence to rules/regulations and working with the clubs family culture as a core value, I strongly believe he will be an asset to us.

Ennis and Cronk are two I'd keep on the radar, or seek to sign up as junior coaches.
Mistakes unquestionably.
Can you explain how he was hard done by?
I don’t see that at all.
I see an unrepentant victim.
I would not want to see him at Belmore.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I was quite impressed with Anthony Griffin's commentary on Fox last night during the Panthers v Sharks game. He obviously has a great understanding of the game and nearly everything that he said would happen, happened. I'd never really rated him but he has quite a good record with teams and is an experienced coach. Maybe there are other issues as to why he had been sacked previously, but his knowledge and insight into the game was impressive. Maybe he could be a possible future coach if we are looking for an NRL experienced coach

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I was quite impressed with Anthony Griffin's commentary on Fox last night during the Panthers v Sharks game. He obviously has a great understanding of the game and nearly everything that he said would happen, happened. I'd never really rated him but he has quite a good record with teams and is an experienced coach. Maybe there are other issues as to why he had been sacked previously, but his knowledge and insight into the game was impressive. Maybe he could be a possible future coach if we are looking for an NRL experienced coach
Griffin is great with working with kids. Smart development coach. Unfortunately he has the personality that many don't enjoy. His not a loving hugging dad kind but a don't cry work hard button your shirt kind. He also does the coaching himself not through assistant so many players get sick of him quick. He would be an awesome coach with the right setup/ assisntants.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at our history whenever we had success, it was behind a strong coach, Warren ryan, Phil could, ted glossop, Des hasler.

We need another strong coach: SHANE FLANAGAN.
All those coaches also had much much stronger squads. To be fair, Pay’s current roster doesn’t have a quarter of the talent as those other teams.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When will people realise that it's the quality of the team that is the problem, not the current coach.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
When will people realise that it's the quality of the team that is the problem, not the current coach.
That's why you pumped up the team during pre season and claimed we would suprise a few people off the back of Pay...pfft

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's why you pumped up the team during pre season and claimed we would suprise a few people off the back of Pay...pfft
Quality is not there, very inexperienced side, but definitely not a 15th place side. We have a mid table roster. We should be coming around 9th or 10th and sniffing for a top 8 spot. The problem was Pay chopping and changing players in the first half of the season which resulted in no cohesion on the playing field and a million dollar 5/8th which can’t stay on the field.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Quality is not there, very inexperienced side, but definitely not a 15th place side. We have a mid table roster. We should be coming around 9th or 10th and sniffing for a top 8 spot. The problem was Pay chopping and changing players in the first half of the season which resulted in no cohesion on the playing field and a million dollar 5/8th which can’t stay on the field.
The problem is Pay is shit, end of lol. Two years in a row we have got preseason wrong, two years in a row we have not performed until the end of season, 2 years in a row have we looked clueless in both attack and defence for the majority of the season. Like you mentioned the chopping and changing didn't help along with a million other things, Pay might just get enough chances to finally get his shit together.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Looking at our history whenever we had success, it was behind a strong coach, Warren ryan, Phil could, ted glossop, Des hasler.

We need another strong coach: SHANE FLANAGAN.
By strong you mean a dishonest, irresponsible and reckless arsehole?

We don’t need Flanagan anywhere near this great club. We should have better morals than that and with his reputation, he would be TERRIBLE for our brand.

Banned
Reaction score
Wow well that’s compelling evidence. Poor Shane.

In case you can’t tell, that’s sarcasm. His dealings with the club were NOT confined to discussing his future contract. That’s the problem. If it wasn’t the case, his lawyers would already be challenging his ban.
What were his dealings then?
What's been reported by my understanding, is he inquired about coaching and the expected roster.
Both allowed as agreed by Greenturd!
Or are you advocating a person sign up for employment, not knowing the relevant facts?
In that case, I've a job for you, sign this form ( in which you agree to waiver your rights to all and sundry, inclusive all legislation, yet you don't need to know this, so I'm not going to share it with you) and I'll see you on your start date!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's keeping them keen, was a reasonably clinical effort tonight.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What were his dealings then?
What's been reported by my understanding, is he inquired about coaching and the expected roster.
Both allowed as agreed by Greenturd!
Or are you advocating a person sign up for employment, not knowing the relevant facts?
In that case, I've a job for you, sign this form ( in which you agree to waiver your rights to all and sundry, inclusive all legislation, yet you don't need to know this, so I'm not going to share it with you) and I'll see you on your start date!
I’m good... I already have a job.... and I haven’t done anything so questionable and dodgy that I would be precluded from discussing certain details should I wish to sign a contract elsewhere.

According to the NRL he was NOT permitted to discuss recruitment and retention of players and if this wasn’t the case, I don’t see why he hasn’t challenged it. It doesn’t really matter if you think those conditions are fair. He made his own bed...

Banned
Reaction score
I’m good... I already have a job.... and I haven’t done anything so questionable and dodgy that I would be precluded from discussing certain details should I wish to sign a contract elsewhere.

According to the NRL he was NOT permitted to discuss recruitment and retention of players and if this wasn’t the case, I don’t see why he hasn’t challenged it. It doesn’t really matter if you think those conditions are fair. He made his own bed...
Maybe, he realised and accepted the futility of challenging a biased organisation.
Be akin to winning an unfair dismissal case and returning to work for the company that doesn't want you.
They're going to make your life hell.