What are some memories of your wonder years?

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone remember Asterix comic books? Man I used to LOVE these things when I was in year 5 & 6 at school. I used to go to the school library every Friday borrow about 3 or 4 of them, read them over the weekend and during the week, then return them the following Friday before borrowing another batch. I've never really been a comic book person apart from this series.

I loved Asterix... use to borrow them all the time too, pretty much the only book I would borrow (apart from Tintin)

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I loved Asterix... use to borrow them all the time too, pretty much the only book I would borrow (apart from Tintin)
TINTIN! How can I forget my favorite Belgian hero! I used to read his books too lol - I can't believe I forgot that. I remember I would read them an imagine what his voice sounded like. Then I just happened to be flicking through the tv one day and a Tintin cartoon was on. He sounded EXACTLY how I imagined lol.

Also I remember I saw the movie a few years back on Boxing Day when it was released.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983193/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Wahesh

Reaction score
Remember when they used to have 3 or 4 games on Sunday going at the same time, and on the radio they would go around-the-grounds to all these reporters at different locations giving you a score update? I miss those days.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Who remembers these? I remember in 97-98 guys came to school with them. They would use them to control the TV whenever we were watching something in class LOL.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I remember longing for 6pm weeknights so I can watch re-runs of The Simpsons. Are you with me @K E?

Wahesh

Reaction score
I just took a walk downtown and ended up in Capitol Square (next to Capitol Theatre). Bloody hell... you go upstairs, and there are STACKS of old-school arcade machines, claw-prize machine, and other stuff. Wow! There were these Asians in there playing the games and taking them so damn seriously LOL. Takes me back to my younger days when I used to go to Timezone.

Wahesh

Reaction score
When petrol was under a dollar.

Good old days....
I remember back in '99 when I was coming home from school on the bus, we passed BP petrol on Canterbury road and it was $0.82 per litre and thought it was expensive as. I'd love to go back to those days.

My dad told me when he first came out to Australia, petrol was 5 cents a litre.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I remember back in '99 when I was coming home from school on the bus, we passed BP petrol on Canterbury road and it was $0.82 per litre and thought it was expensive as. I'd love to go back to those days.

My dad told me when he first came out to Australia, petrol was 5 cents a litre.
The lowest I can remember was seeing 29.9c.

When I started driving in 1996, I'm pretty sure I was paying 68.9 cents.

Banned
Reaction score
I remember when Bruce was a man's name!
I remember Mariah and Pamela pre plastic surgery!
I remember when you could play sports on back roads without fear of being killed by maniac drivers!

Wahesh

Reaction score
I remember when Bruce was a man's name!
I remember Mariah and Pamela pre plastic surgery!
I remember when you could play sports on back roads without fear of being killed by maniac drivers!
Yep I remember that. Although we used to mainly play footy in the back yard or in the park so we can bomb it high into the air lol.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Good old days... I would drive the teachers nuts turning off the tv every 2 mins.
I remember once a teacher took a phone call so one of the Lebs press fast-forward on a boring video we were watching :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Remember when phones were cool and the same boring generic shit we're stuck with now?

Wahesh

Reaction score
You know what I really miss? The way Sydney USED to be.

Let me explain…

If I’m going to try and pinpoint a precise year when I thought our city was perfect, it’s going to be hard… but I’ll take a punt and say 1997.

• To start with, all these hideous apartment blocks were not visible around our city. There were flats and townhouses sure enough, but that’s as far as it went. Now, residential skyscrapers have taken over our once beautiful city. I remember last year when I worked in Hurstville, I was gobsmacked at how big some of those apartments were… I had never seen such eyesores in a the middle of suburbia. It was as if Wolli Creek had made it’s way south
  • The price of your average home in Sydney was about $400,000 (max), which was still considered expensive at the time, but nothing like what it is today. Even with the market crash, apartments are more expensive than that today. You cannot buy a house in Sydney for less than a million
  • The average price of petrol was $0.57 per litre
  • The Big 4 car companies all had production plants here in Australia – Toyota, Ford, Holden and Mitsubishi
  • Granted we were in the midst of a Super League war, but Rugby League was nowhere near as corrupt as it is now, a united competition loomed on the horizon, and our home ground was our spiritual Kennel – Belmore Sports Ground
  • The pathetic Lite Rail system was NOT functional in this city, and we still had our iconic monorail
  • The young ladies of Sydney would walk around carefree without any makeup, botoc, or lip fillers. Good luck with that today
  • People weren't tied down to their phones