Shifty' Sherwin returns to Bulldogs to mentor halves

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
'Shifty' Sherwin returns to Bulldogs to mentor halves
Adrian Proszenko
July 17, 2019 — 5.27pm
Fifteen years after steering Canterbury to grand final glory, Brent Sherwin has returned to the "family club" to help mentor its playmakers.

Sherwin, the club’s last premiership-winning halfback, has been overseeing sessions with the current halves whenever the team trains on Mondays. The man dubbed "Shifty" is keen to advance in the coaching caper and has begun the journey by sharing his experiences with the likes of Kieran Foran, Lachlan Lewis, Brandon Wakeham and Jack Cogger.

The relationship has been beneficial for both parties. Sherwin gets a look at how coach Dean Pay and his assistants run their sessions, while the young playmakers get to learn from the man at the helm of the Bulldogs’ 2004 triumph.

Brent Sherwin is back at the Bulldogs.CREDIT:SMH

“I’m really enjoying it,” Sherwin said. “I love footy, I did it for a long time and if I can pass anything on to the kids, hopefully they can run with it.

“I spoke to Dean last year and said ‘if you want me to do some kicking or whatever you want me to do, give me a ring’. And he did.

“Whenever they train on Mondays I get down there and do some kicking. I look and watch, I like listening to the coaches because I want to one day coach.

“I watch the halves run around and it’s mainly just doing some kicking at the end, doing some different kicks so when they are in different situations they can pull it out of the bag because they have had some practice with it.

“They’re going good and are keen to learn. They’re training well, it’s only enjoyable going down each Monday.”

Injuries to Foran and Lewis have provided opportunities for youngsters Cogger and Wakeham to impress. Cogger is now getting some serious game time after shifting from Newcastle, while the Bulldogs have enjoyed two wins in a row since Wakeham made his debut.

“They are younger and they are easy (to teach), they are keen to rip in and learn,” Sherwin said.

“They are good footy players and they’ll get better the more games they play. That’s how everyone gets their shot, when someone is injured. When Ricky Stuart got suspended, that’s when I got my start.

“It’s exciting at the moment, it’s a very young side and hopefully they will get better each week.”

Wakeham has shown some early promising signs. The 20-year-old was a standout for Fiji in the recent Test win over Lebanon and was rewarded with his NRL debut against Cronulla. The local junior backed up that victory with another last week against Newcastle and will be aiming to begin his career with three straight when Canterbury face Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday.

“He’s pretty relaxed and that’s what you need in tough situations,” Sherwin said.

“He’s pretty level headed, he held the ball up perfectly for Corey (Harawira-Naera) on the weekend. He’s got a nice pass and a nice kick. He’s not a bad little footy player and I’m sure we’ll see a lot more of him.”

Another Bulldogs legend, Darryl Halligan, has also returned to the fold to work with the club’s goalkickers.

• Share on Facebook

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Unlucky he had Andrew Johns playing in the same position as him for most of his career.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There's something about Cogger, his attitude towards learning and just generally being a sponge for knowledge. He really is improving every week and you can tell he's trying to learn as much as possible.

I don't know how long Sherwin's already been there, but I know Cogger will learn as much as he can off him.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm very happy to see shifty around the club, it's long overdue.

Part of me is worried that with all these people they're bringing into the club they intend to let Pay see out his contract.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's something about Cogger, his attitude towards learning and just generally being a sponge for knowledge. He really is improving every week and you can tell he's trying to learn as much as possible.

I don't know how long Sherwin's already been there, but I know Cogger will learn as much as he can off him.
Coggar and Wakeham are beauties... The way Coggar looks for space before he kicks and the timing that Wakeham has when he throws the right ball.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Adrian Proszenko
July 17, 2019 — 5.27pm
Fifteen years after steering Canterbury to grand final glory, Brent Sherwin has returned to the "family club" to help mentor its playmakers.

Sherwin, the club’s last premiership-winning halfback, has been overseeing sessions with the current halves whenever the team trains on Mondays. The man dubbed "Shifty" is keen to advance in the coaching caper and has begun the journey by sharing his experiences with the likes of Kieran Foran, Lachlan Lewis, Brandon Wakeham and Jack Cogger.

The relationship has been beneficial for both parties. Sherwin gets a look at how coach Dean Pay and his assistants run their sessions, while the young playmakers get to learn from the man at the helm of the Bulldogs’ 2004 triumph.

“I’m really enjoying it,” Sherwin said. “I love footy, I did it for a long time and if I can pass anything on to the kids, hopefully they can run with it.

“I spoke to Dean last year and said ‘if you want me to do some kicking or whatever you want me to do, give me a ring’. And he did.

“Whenever they train on Mondays I get down there and do some kicking. I look and watch, I like listening to the coaches because I want to one day coach.

“I watch the halves run around and it’s mainly just doing some kicking at the end, doing some different kicks so when they are in different situations they can pull it out of the bag because they have had some practice with it.

“They’re going good and are keen to learn. They’re training well, it’s only enjoyable going down each Monday.”

Injuries to Foran and Lewis have provided opportunities for youngsters Cogger and Wakeham to impress. Cogger is now getting some serious game time after shifting from Newcastle, while the Bulldogs have enjoyed two wins in a row since Wakeham made his debut.

“They are younger and they are easy (to teach), they are keen to rip in and learn,” Sherwin said.

“They are good footy players and they’ll get better the more games they play. That’s how everyone gets their shot, when someone is injured. When Ricky Stuart got suspended, that’s when I got my start.

“It’s exciting at the moment, it’s a very young side and hopefully they will get better each week.”

Wakeham has shown some early promising signs. The 20-year-old was a standout for Fiji in the recent Test win over Lebanon and was rewarded with his NRL debut against Cronulla. The local junior backed up that victory with another last week against Newcastle and will be aiming to begin his career with three straight when Canterbury face Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday.

“He’s pretty relaxed and that’s what you need in tough situations,” Sherwin said.

“He’s pretty level headed, he held the ball up perfectly for Corey (Harawira-Naera) on the weekend. He’s got a nice pass and a nice kick. He’s not a bad little footy player and I’m sure we’ll see a lot more of him.”

Another Bulldogs legend, Darryl Halligan, has also returned to the fold to work with the club’s goalkickers.

• Share on Facebook
Sanity prevails.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good to have former champs about, good for team morale, now lets dig ourselves outta da shit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nicely done... Shifty working closely with Wakeham and the other young halves will be a huge benefit to them. It's great to see Shifty back in the fold.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very happy to see shifty around the club, it's long overdue.

Part of me is worried that with all these people they're bringing into the club they intend to let Pay see out his contract.
Wouldn't be surprised if the club is having trouble finding someone to replace Pay

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if the club is having trouble finding someone to replace Pay
All reports are that Holbrook wants to coach the Bulldogs, if this is true or not we don't really know. We do know that he has previously spent years coaching at the club and does support us...so it is entirely possible the the reports are there because of this or because it's actually true.

Anyway I doubt it would be hard to find a replacement, our squad is fairly empty for 2021 and any incoming coach would pretty much get a free shot next season and would gain support as long as they make some sort of improvement. Coming in now and having a year to work with what you have and building combos without the pressure of immediate results would surely be desirable to some coaches?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
First the positive, awesome news shifty! Ok, he rang Dean last year and offered to help, a year later we take him up on it when we have young guys and the worst attack in the game. Lastly, when they train on Monday's, anyone else think that although great we are finally doing something that why did it take so fukin long??? We are pretty amateurish in our day to day stuff it would seem on the outside looking in. Ohwell moving forward.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adrian Proszenko
July 17, 2019 — 5.27pm

• Share on Facebook
The love heart emoji doesn’t do justice to my opinion on this...

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How fucking good! Now just get Willie and Ogre to fire up the forwards.