Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

Banned
Reaction score
Right now I'm not sure that we are in a position to be attractive to anyone worthwhile for a head coaching position. I don't see that much has changed in our attractiveness since the last time we canvased for coaches, they weren't comfortable in applying last time and I see no reason why they would be any happier to apply now. Winning games changes everything.

Go Dogs
I'm positive that we're in a better position to attract a new coach than when DP applied for the position.
For starters, we're almost 2 years closer to salary cap relief.
We've started to cut the deadwood.
The time is prime for a coach to come in and install his belief structure and approach over a year, so when the new player enter, the background support and structure is already there.
Any smart coach would see it as quite an attractive carrot.
BTW, consistently winning games changes everything, two in a row is not a trend.

Pay was the forwards coach for the Chooks in 2002, the year they won the premiership.
I could also add that in 2008 he was assistant coach (defense) at Catalans, who had the reputation for having the most ferocious forward pack.
Of course please feel to check the above.

Go Dogs
So you're pinning your reputation to results over a decade ago?
Might as well send a SOS to Gus to come back and coach us if that's the case!
If anything, those results demonstrate DP has not kept up with the changes in the game!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Because it's different. Holbrook has a far superior resume and actually has senior level experience at managing a club and has demonstrated the ability to rebuild and improve a side while not looking like a fucking pancake and dishing out this old school footy garbage we heard with Pay.

Holbrook should've been the man to take over when Des left and I said it back then, what he has done in England has only made my support for him grow. If we're not getting someone with NRL experience then he is the best man for the job imo.
Yep people who watched St. Helens with a mediocre Matty smith at 7 and struggling to find a quality style of play. Holbrook changed it all, yes they probably should have won when Barba was killing it... but since he's left Holbrook has transformed there attack and they are even better. Can't believe anyone who questions his ability

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's ok to be wrong sometimes.
I tried to stay away from any discussion u had your 2 cents in, in saying that you do have some very valid points but some, it seems to me you're just tryin to not be proven wrong and it's ruining the good points you come with.
I think I'm a little different (not many would argue with that) from some who post on TK, I actually look at all of the data first and then arrive at a conclusion. Many arrive at a conclusion first and then go looking for data to support it, whilst ignoring the data that doesn't support it. That's how it comes about that when my view is questioned I generally have data to support how I arrived at that conclusion. Whether I am right or wrong doesn't concern me as much as being able to substantiate my views. Let's face it, most of what we waffle on about on TK is purely subjective anyway.

Anyway glad you're well, i had concern there for a second.
I'm good, but please feel free to ask anytime.

Go Dogs

Banned
Reaction score
Take it with the smallest grain of salt, but a new poster on RedVee is claiming the entire board and Hill bar "the big two" want Holbrook over in 2020, yet "the big two" want Pay to be given more time.

According to the poster "the big two" will get their way... and everyone would know who they are.

In all honesty this could be correct...and wouldn't surprise me.

Though Tweedledee and Tweedledum should be more concerned about their failing business outside of the Bulldogs at the moment, and I doubt are in the right mindset to be involved in making key decisions about or clubs future success.
At what point are the rest of the board liable for their inaction in culling these big two?

Dear oh dear, i just looked this up, wait until the press get a hold of this....this is really bad mate
Really really bad :(

She does lol !!
Ding ding ding, we have an answer :P

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Roosters? Why are you even talking about the Roosters?
OK, I already helped you out once already, so this is it for today. You'll have to wait until tomorrow for more help understanding.

Pay was the forwards coach for the Chooks in 2002, the year they won the premiership.
I could also add that in 2008 he was assistant coach (defense) at Catalans, who had the reputation for having the most ferocious forward pack.
Of course please feel to check the above.

Go Dogs
LOL, I am sure because of Pay Roosters won in 2002

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Dear oh dear, i just looked this up, wait until the press get a hold of this....this is really bad mate
You might want to read Mr invisible last paragraph again, then maybe do some searches on the web to find the answer
i tried this on my phone, just get shitty league related articles about her role at the club

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep people who watched St. Helens with a mediocre Matty smith at 7 and struggling to find a quality style of play. Holbrook changed it all, yes they probably should have won when Barba was killing it... but since he's left Holbrook has transformed there attack and they are even better. Can't believe anyone who questions his ability
I doubt many are questioning it, not me anyway, but he does have a pretty decent squad to play with. For example the representative filled back line in Lomax, Makinson, Percival, Grace and Fages. Plus a forward pack with Walmsley, Roby, Paulo and Scaresbrook, all being test players. He is living the dream with that team compared to what he would have to face until 2021 if he comes to us. If I was in his position I would certainly be thinking very carefully about making the move.

Go Dogs

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i tried this on my phone, just get shitty league related articles about her role at the club
Its in the public domain now listed by a government authority....don't think we would get into trouble if someone posted the link here on TK....what you think Mr invisible?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL, I am sure because of Pay Roosters won in 2002
Seriously, that wasn't the question, obviously they won because we got sanctioned. In 2001 the Chooks got monstered in the forwards, especially by Newcastle, 40 to 6 if I remember rightly, in the qualifying final. Stuart brought Pay in as assistant coach in 2002 to toughen up the forward pack and they won the comp (yes, I know we should have). Then Walters did the same at Catalans, got Pay in as defensive coach and they were fierce and a much feared defensive unit.

Go Dogs

GirthGorilla

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think I'm a little different (not many would argue with that) from some who post on TK, I actually look at all of the data first and then arrive at a conclusion. Many arrive at a conclusion first and then go looking for data to support it, whilst ignoring the data that doesn't support it. That's how it comes about that when my view is questioned I generally have data to support how I arrived at that conclusion. Whether I am right or wrong doesn't concern me as much as being able to substantiate my views. Let's face it, most of what we waffle on about on TK is purely subjective anyway.

I'm good, but please feel free to ask anytime.

Go Dogs
Mate let's face it, facts n data is not always the answer. So if your purely relying on that then u squeezing yourself into a corner.

Banned
Reaction score
Question is, do we desire to aid the grubs that frequent here for a story?
Is it in our interests?
Are matters final, thus irrefutable?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Question is, do we desire to aid the grubs that frequent here for a story?
Is it in our interests?
Are matters final, thus irrefutable?
I'd be surprised if a journo didn't already know it doesn't take much digging to find it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Its in the public domain now listed by a government authority....don't think we would get into trouble if someone posted the link here on TK....what you think Mr invisible?
Do we really need it coming out on this forum and more bad publicity for the club. Let's stand down on this one. Once news breaks publicly it will "allow" Murdoch rags to frontpage us for weeks. Don't be part of that.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Let the media earn their wage if they want to report it. Journos investigate things if they are true journos.

Side Note @Thommo just to let you (and anyone else at RedVee know) that the account name "Mr Invisible" over there is NOT me, but some clown using my username and being a smart arse. I do not have a RedVee account.

When / If I create an account there I'll announce on here what it is.

Normally when I sign up to league forums I introduce myself to the moderators/admins so there is mutual respect there. It also means if there are trouble makers they can be dealt with across multiple sites.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
There is a lot going on behind closed doors that cannot openly be discussed on the forum at the moment. Lets just say I'm gobsmacked at our clubs ability to completely fuck up what should be straight forward signings. It's like we have zero intention of signing players and just bring them in, show them around, and muck them and their player managers around for shits and giggles.

If it continues word will get around from player managers and players not to even bother talking to our club, because they'll just take the piss out of you.
Sorry mr I, but your info holds no water as it’s always off the mark.
Plus being a mod, you shouldn’t be posting stuff like this since you are always talking about feeding the jornos info, yet you are basically instigating it.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry mr I, but your info holds no water as it’s always off the mark.
Plus being a mod, you shouldn’t be posting stuff like this since you are always talking about feeding the jornos info, yet you are basically instigating it.
Mr I could actually be Mr Rothfield..lol