Opinion Nick Meaney on the Wing?

Malla

Reaction score
Meaney isn't first grade material.

He is too small, offers absolutely nothing in attack and against teams with better wingers he will get dominated.

Need Harper in the squad. He deserves a shot.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Okunbor should have his spot can break tackles
I'm guessing Pay might get him some match fitness in reggies after a long layoff injured. That and he may be hesitant to change the team while it's winning games.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasler has a philosophy of picking his best 17 at the start of the season and sticking with it as much as possible.
Hasler has never chopped & changed his team.
His coaching record speaks for itself.
Isn't that a chicken and egg argument, Hasler really only has 17/19 players to pick from because he loads their salaries to attract them and/or retain them, which leaves no cap space for anyone else half decent. So he has to stick to his original 17 as the others are a huge drop in quality. Occasionally he snatches a bargain, quality, up and comer for a cheap price but his methodology is to pay $big for 17/19 and he doesn't care about the rest. As evidenced by cancelling all local player development.

Pay doesn't have that luxury, we had to let go all of our quality, $big players to get cap compliant, so we are left with ~24 players with not a lot difference in their skill and ability levels. Hence swapping, promoting and dropping whilst attempting to find a decent combination. Evidence of the equality in player quality can be found in every bunch of TK posts suggesting X player be dropped and Y player promoted, followed by an equal number of posts about why Y player should never be promoted. The talent equality is why there are tens of threads each week suggesting player changes.

How many players would have an automatic selection every week from TK posters? Less than the fingers on one hand would be my guess.

Go Dogs

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't that a chicken and egg argument, Hasler really only has 17/19 players to pick from because he loads their salaries to attract them and/or retain them, which leaves no cap space for anyone else half decent. So he has to stick to his original 17 as the others are a huge drop in quality. Occasionally he snatches a bargain, quality, up and comer for a cheap price but his methodology is to pay $big for 17/19 and he doesn't care about the rest. As evidenced by cancelling all local player development.

Pay doesn't have that luxury, we had to let go all of our quality, $big players to get cap compliant, so we are left with ~24 players with not a lot difference in their skill and ability levels. Hence swapping, promoting and dropping whilst attempting to find a decent combination. Evidence of the equality in player quality can be found in every bunch of TK posts suggesting X player be dropped and Y player promoted, followed by an equal number of posts about why Y player should never be promoted. The talent equality is why there are tens of threads each week suggesting player changes.

How many players would have an automatic selection every week from TK posters? Less than the fingers on one hand would be my guess.

Go Dogs
Fair comment.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I keep comparing Meaney to Luke Burt when he debuted in the NRL. Burt was "ragdolled" frequently, but eventually overcame that. So did Haz actually.
Burty could still score a try though.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hasler has a philosophy of picking his best 17 at the start of the season and sticking with it as much as possible.
Hasler has never chopped & changed his team.
His coaching record speaks for itself.
Sticking with under performers same as Hasler, was the basis of the post.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The glaring evidence of either lack of experience or ability was on show when Montoya made that long break against the Knights. Montoya veered outside to try and avoid the defense and Meaney went inside, he should have known that he isn't the quickest back in the comp.
If he had veered inside instead and drew the defense and Meaney stayed outside it would have been a try.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The glaring evidence of either lack of experience or ability was on show when Montoya made that long break against the Knights. Montoya veered outside to try and avoid the defense and Meaney went inside, he should have known that he isn't the quickest back in the comp.
If he had veered inside instead and drew the defense and Meaney stayed outside it would have been a try.
Agreed, everyone knows if you are in the clear and have a winger absolutely jogging nearby you pass the ball and support him- You cant teach speed!

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if Monty passed a little earlier Meaney had the pace to go all the way.. in saying that if Monty threw a pass and something went wrong, the haters would have wanted his head in the stick.. Last year he would have mad that mistake.. I think holding the ball was his only safe option..

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get him on the gear in the off season... Some one on one with Wendell Sailor or someone who knows how to specialize this role.. He has the pace and the skills just not the knowledge

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Meaney offers nothing on the wing, he is another full season away from being ready for 1st grade

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney offers nothing on the wing, he is another full season away from being ready for 1st grade
He's going ok leave him there, minichello started on the wing the rest is history..good kid, I've changed my mind on him

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, everyone knows if you are in the clear and have a winger absolutely jogging nearby you pass the ball and support him- You cant teach speed!
The problem was that Montoya was heading closer to the touch line. Meaney saw that and cut back inside.
Montoya didnt have the sense to link with Meaney.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
How can you defend pay for selections and combinations when he broke up our right edge attack from last year with Holland/smith that was successful

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's going ok leave him there, minichello started on the wing the rest is history..good kid, I've changed my mind on him
Minichello was one of the most powerful bal runners I had ever seen on the wing.

Meaney is nothing like him.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Needs to be dropped into Reserve Grade and told until he starts killing it either at fullback or on the wing, he won't get a look in.

No other repuatable first grade coach would leave "the human kite" out there on the wing.

Maybe we need to tie sandbags to his feet, or give him a weight vest.... or just get the bloke agro somehow... he just seems like he's afraid to break a nail going in kamikaze to the line.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Montoya may have taken that intercept but he shouldn't be in FG at all. He's a massive hog who never, ever passes and not giving it to Meaney there was more proof..

Meaney gets driven back sideways every run and offers nothing on the wing.

Harper should replace Montoya so we can see what he can offer in FG and Okunbur or Katoa should come in for Meaney. Or at the very least, Holland should replace Montoya. At least Holland looks to pass once in a while even if most of them are wayward volleyball passes..