Official Belinda Sharpe breaks new ground as first female NRL referee

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belinda Sharpe's dad didn't want her to play rugby league despite his teenage daughter developing a real love for the game, so a family friend stepped in and suggested she become a referee instead.

She did and on Thursday – or a couple of decades later – Sharpe steps into history becoming the first female referee of a NRL game, when the Broncos host the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium.

For Queenslander Sharpe, it’s a 'home' game too with her dad and mum, Alistair and Cathy, in the stands to see her out in the middle with senior referee Ben Cummins.

Of course Sharpe has been a familiar sight on the sidelines of NRL matches since her first NRL touch judge appointment in 2014 when Wests Tigers faced the Sharks at Leichhardt Oval.

She was a touch judge in four Tests during the 2017 World Cup.

And crossing the sideline into the field of play is also not unfamiliar to her. Sharpe began refereeing Intrust Super Cup matches in 2015.

She was in the middle to handle a Broncos v Wynnum-Manly trial game in February this year.

So after six years of senior football, she's about to break an 111-year hoodoo

Perhaps Sharpe had an inkling a female appointment was imminent since she and Kasey Badger were upgraded to full-time referee contracts in May this year, along with Todd Smith.

"At that stage I was just focused on coming down to Sydney and joining the full-time squad and getting my feet into that environment," she told NRL.com.

"That was the first and foremost thing for me. Certainly it's been a whirlwind couple of months for me, and that appointment was a stepping stone to this Thursday for sure

I just loved rugby league growing up and I played touch football, ended up refereeing touch footy and made the transition from there.

"The game has been my passion and now I've turned that into a full-time career."

She has never heard any 'What would you know, you're a girl' sledges from the sideline. Even the players don't apologise when they swear in front of her and nor should they

"We're all certainly in a high-pressure environment anyway as referees so I don't see any difference between any of us. We just go out on the field to do a job to the best of our ability," Sharpe said.

"We can't focus on anything externally and I won't be. My gender is irrelevant in that respect.

"I've never come across anything like that [sledging]. At the end of the day they just want a referee who is capable of doing their job and it doesn't necessarily matter who they are, or whether they're male or female. They just want you to do a good job.

"That hasn't changed over the years in any grade I've been involved in. Once you demonstrate you're competent in that role, that's all that matters.

"The players are used to seeing me out there since I've been doing it for a few years now so they don't treat me any differently.

Sharpe knows her gender brings the spotlight onto both her and rugby league.

She's spoken a couple of times to Eleni Glouftis, who became the first female AFL on-field umpire in May 2017.

"I've not met her yet but I've spoken to her on the phone. She's made some great strides in AFL and is travelling along really well.

"Certainly I'll look forward to comparing notes with her in future conversations."

Sharpe was told the news of her appointment on Monday by NRL referees coach Bernie Sutton.

She then rang her husband Clayton – also an NRL touch judge – and her parents.

"They were all really excited and looking forward to coming to the game. They're very happy for me

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I gotta bad feeling about this front bum.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
How she gunna handle a cranky first grade captain?
Ben will look after her, will be interesting.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I have seen her on the touchline refusing to make calls and conversely calling forward passes that weren't.. Should fit right in

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
I'll put my left nut on a early penalty to broncos to "set the tone" for offside

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok lol, more great news :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Watch her blow the pea out of the whistle
New referees have no feel for the game and nit pick at everything.
I’ll put my life on an assortment of pens to conform to her kpi’s

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...e/news-story/d3f5c620ac952a406be65596207f7758

———

Belinda Sharpe will create history on Thursday night when she becomes the first female to referee an NRL game.

The 31-year-old will officiate the Round 18 clash between Brisbane and Canterbury at Suncorp Stadium.

Sleeman, who hails from Brisbane, refereed a Broncos trial match in the pre-season and has been a touch judge in the NRL since 2014 with over 60 first grade games to her name.

“Graham Annesley was only saying last week his concerns about the lack of depth in the ranks,” The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield told NRL 360 on Fox League.

“There’s long been a view whether the females like Belinda and Kasey Badger had the speed for NRL.

“Now they’re full-time officials and they’re doing as much work as the males are, there is a very good opinion there that they’ll go well.”

———

Just our luck. Cummins and this new referee for the Bulldogs and Broncos game. What could possibly go wrong.

I don’t understand why a game played by 100% males needs a female referee.

Next they’ll make clubs add female players to their roster, who aren’t allowed to be tackled by men on the field.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Conflict of interest there.

I'd have like to see Raelene Castle as the first female ref. A job she could fuck up and escape the sack for once.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely just pocket ref in her first game. Good luck to her - just hope she doesn't let the crowd get in her head.