News Folkes Autopsy

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a ticking timebomb.

Whilst folkes was a tough player, he was not known for being in huge collisions every game such as Chief Harrogon or Spud Carroll for instance. If someone like him has it, most players would have it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully some good research and medical information can come out of something so sad thanks to Folkes and his family.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well, there we have it. The professor told the family that Steve "died with it not from it".To me that means that CTE does contribute to death.

Alarm bells should be well and truly ringing for the NRL now and we have seen of late a tightening of the protocols used for concussions with players actually being stood down ( Keary) for at least six weeks on medical advice and comprehensive medical tests being done.

This would not have happened in the past because of the win at all costs attitude by the clubs. I guess now we shall ( or should most certainly) see a continuation of players missing games due to consecutive concussions on INDEPENDENT medical advice. Welfare of the person is of greater importance to that of their value on the field.

There is a saying that you are a long time dead but that credo should also apply to being a long time retired..

Folkes was a tough uncompromising player, who threw himself with energy into everything he did on the field. Collisions between players, whether they be substantial of not should now be viewed as an issue as it does not matter if head collision occurs. In its nature the whiplash effect of the head rocking back and forth and the brain moving within the skull can be just as bad and can happen without head contact, a heacvy collision can do damage even though it is not evident at the time.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, there we have it. The professor told the family that Steve "died with it not from it".To me that means that CTE does contribute to death.

Alarm bells should be well and truly ringing for the NRL now and we have seen of late a tightening of the protocols used for concussions with players actually being stood down ( Keary) for at least six weeks on medical advice and comprehensive medical tests being done.

This would not have happened in the past because of the win at all costs attitude by the clubs. I guess now we shall ( or should most certainly) see a continuation of players missing games due to consecutive concussions on INDEPENDENT medical advice. Welfare of the person is of greater importance to that of their value on the field.

There is a saying that you are a long time dead but that credo should also apply to being a long time retired..

Folkes was a tough uncompromising player, who threw himself with energy into everything he did on the field. Collisions between players, whether they be substantial of not should now be viewed as an issue as it does not matter if head collision occurs. In its nature the whiplash effect of the head rocking back and forth and the brain moving within the skull can be just as bad and can happen without head contact, a heacvy collision can do damage even though it is not evident at the time.
There are micro concussions in nearly every collision. Very scary.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
RIP Folksey

The NRL must be shitting themselves. If a class action is ever brought by former players they will be in a lot of strife financially.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He still would have held his own in the modern day game
I recall him folding some players in half hitting them under ribs
I think he would've developed into a hooker in today's game. Great in defense and loved to make tackles.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this article. I understand the family have given their blessings, but it still seems a bit exploitive and disrespectful. Almost shadowing a legacy of a legend. I'm sure people will disagree with me and that's their opinion.

So what's the solution? If head clashes and head impacts are common place in the game, I can only see three potential solutions (neither are good).

1. Everyone wears gridiron style helmets or massive headgear (and even so that won't solve the issue totally).
2. The game removes tackling completely and instead becomes touch only with reduced players and interchanges.
3. Do nothing and make it a condition of playing that head clashes are simply part of the game.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Theyd all have it youd think geez i hope league doesn’t end up with helmets

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I still love and remember his speech back at the Leagues after our 04 GF win... "I just like to say, we're number 1"

Accurate and straight to the point.

Plus he passed the trophy for me to lift it.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I still love and remember his speech back at the Leagues after our 04 GF win... "I just like to say, we're number 1"

Accurate and straight to the point.

Plus he passed the trophy for me to lift it.
He wasn't really paid enough respect at the end of his time with the club. I include myself in that statement, he was a great coach.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this article. I understand the family have given their blessings, but it still seems a bit exploitive and disrespectful. Almost shadowing a legacy of a legend. I'm sure people will disagree with me and that's their opinion.

So what's the solution? If head clashes and head impacts are common place in the game, I can only see three potential solutions (neither are good).

1. Everyone wears gridiron style helmets or massive headgear (and even so that won't solve the issue totally).
2. The game removes tackling completely and instead becomes touch only with reduced players and interchanges.
3. Do nothing and make it a condition of playing that head clashes are simply part of the game.
The only way to find a solution is to do more research and things like autopsies are essential to that. The family gave it their full blessing and should be commended for it.

MountMontoya

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Maybe now the NRL will force clubs to take concussions much more seriously

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There’s a good documentary on Netflix about NHL players “Ice Guardians” and they talk at length about concussion on there and there is a stat that >80% of concussions in the NHL are actually from body shots not head shots/board rams/fights etc.

It’s the sheer force of your brain hitting your skull when you get jarred, a bit like whiplash.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pains me to say it, but Turvey needs to be checked, if he hasn't already.
I've long thought he's suffering through some sort of degenerative brain injury.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pains me to say it, but Turvey needs to be checked, if he hasn't already.
I've long thought he's suffering through some sort of degenerative brain injury.
Unfortunately the only way to diagnose CTE currently is by looking at the brain after death.