Official Titans sack Garth Brennan effective immediately.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s getting sacked this afternoon according to James Hooper.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/breaking-garth-brennan-to-be-sacked-as-titans-coach-142861

EDIT - TITANS OFFICIAL STATEMENT

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/07/14/club-statement/
Sun 14 Jul 2019, 01:30 PM

The Gold Coast Titans have announced that they have parted ways with Head Coach Garth Brennan.

"No one at this organisation, or anyone involved in rugby league, wanted Garth’s time as Head Coach of the Titans to end this way," Titans Executive Chairman Dennis Watt said.

"However, the results the club has achieved on the field this season have not met expectations, and the team’s performance in recent weeks has fallen to a level that is unacceptable to the Board, our Members, fans, sponsors and partners."

"Unfortunately, that has left the club in a situation where Garth remaining in the position of Head Coach has become untenable."

Watt paid tribute to Brennan for his service and commitment to the Titans, where he has served as Head Coach since the end of 2017.

"While the on-field results have not been what we hoped for, Garth will still leave a tremendous legacy for this club with his contribution to the creation of our development systems and pathways. These will ensure the Titans’ future will be built around the best young players growing up on the Gold Coast and northern New South Wales. Along the way, Garth has handed NRL debuts to players like AJ Brimson, Moeaki Fotuaika and Jai Whitbread – players who will be at the core of this club for the years ahead".

"Garth, his wife Rachael and their family have made real sacrifices in moving to the Coast, and Garth has dedicated himself to connecting with Titans Members, fans, local leagues and the wider community. Garth has been tireless in promoting the club and the game. He is a decent and genuine rugby league man, and everyone at this club wishes him and his family nothing but the best for the future."

Watt said Assistant Coaches Craig Hodges and Luke Burt would take over as interim coaches of the Titans for the rest of the 2019 NRL season, with a replacement Head Coach to be decided upon at a later date.

The club will be making no further comment at this time.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not totally unexpected.

Record as a club itself irrespective of the coach not spectacular : one wooden spoon and only three finals appearances in twelve years.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Now just gotta hope Holbrook doesn't go there. Walters seems likely, then Ciraldo maybe

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Now just gotta hope Holbrook doesn't go there. Walters seems likely, then Ciraldo maybe
Yeah, I heard the interview with Walters the other night and I think he wanted to say he would love an NRL gig at the Titans, but didn’t want to speculate due to disrespecting Brennan.

I think it’s his job to be honest, especially with the connection to Meninga and their relationship.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
According to ABC the assistants will take over for the rest of the year (overseen by Mal). They're apparently not in a rush to replace him.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Give Toovey the job. Guy deserves another chance .

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing official yet and I doubt they'll presser it on a Sunday. Most likely if he is gone it'll be a Monday midday press conference.

I can see it now:
Titans snare Holbrook and bring over O'Brien/Demetriou as Assistant Coach (or maybe even Walters as Assistant so he can focus more on Origin).
Dogs jump on the open coaching market and snare Garth Brennan and demote Dean Pay to Assistant Coach.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing official yet and I doubt they'll presser it on a Sunday. Most likely if he is gone it'll be a Monday midday press conference.

I can see it now:
Titans snare Holbrook and bring over O'Brien/Demetriou as Assistant Coach (or maybe even Walters as Assistant so he can focus more on Origin).
Dogs jump on the open coaching market and snare Garth Brennan and demote Dean Pay to Assistant Coach.
Are you a horror movie director? That’s like the worst case scenario as a Dogs fan

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Titans board are meeting tomorrow at 7am.

After that, that's when we will hear officially that Brennan got the boot.

Edit: Wrong, it's official now.

You would have to be the coach of the Titans, as you never get to finish your contract.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Matty Johns was this blokes biggest cheerleader and was rubbing himself raw over him before he started at the Titans!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Updated first post with official statement from Titans. Their 30 odd strong fanbase will be estatic with this news.

Are you a horror movie director? That’s like the worst case scenario as a Dogs fan
Knowing how our club are at player neogitations, it wouldn't suprise me.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even the Titans are a step or two ahead of us...

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Absolute dud team. If the NRL didn’t have such a hard on for the region the club would have folded ages ago.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Let’s hope we don’t fuck up
Holbrook.

On a side note I am
Not worried about the bounce back
For sacked coach titans.

Next 2 weeks get the titans and storm. If we can jag a win there should be enough too hold them
Off for spoon

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the bottom 4 teams are the three QLD sides. How long since that happened?