What to do in this situation?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ok, now I like to take pride in being a good person (despite some of the sick, twisted shyte you may read on here), and yesterday something happened.

In the past, (and I'm sure this has happened to a few of us) I have gone to Coles and used the self checkout and found some change that hasn't been collected at the unit that was used. I have always picked up the coins and given them to the team member there. Now I don't know what they do with it, hold it for a certain time if someone comes back asking for it, or put it back in the machine, or steal it themselves, but that's something I've done.

Now yesterday, I went to use a unit, and waited for the person in front of me to finish. I went up, scanned my 3 items, and put my cash in. I selected no receipt, and then waited for my change to come out. As I did so, I saw a $20 note sitting there in the dispenser. I thought... this can't be mine, I only put $5 in... and my change came out. So I picked up my change and the $20. I remembered what the lady in front of me looked like so I walked outside hoping to find her in the car park... but she wasn't there. There wasn't even anyone loading/unloading things into their car.

I walked back onto the street and couldn't see her anywhere. I walked around the block to see if she was parked on the street or used the alternate entry into the car park... no luck. What I was going to do was ask her if she could show me the receipt from her purchase to see if the $20 change she should've had was correct. I simply would've told her that some money was left unattended and if her receipt adds up I would've given it to her.

I couldn't see her anywhere however I really wanted to give her the $20 back - it would've been a good deed. I didn't hand it back to the shop either because technically, it wasn't their money, it was hers (most likely).

Did I commit a crime? If so, how?

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You tried pretty hard to return it. 99% of people would've moved on.

I don't think it's committing a crime at all either way. I was in Woolies and picked up a $2 coin off the floor, is that considered a crime?

I definitely wouldn't have given the money to the staff.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That was me you stole from. Please return the money, DM me your adress and I will pick it up

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I have committed a crime yes.

But because I had no crim record and the cop was a soccer mum, I was given a free passage to leave that particular district and return to the scumhole I came from.

Wahesh

Reaction score
That was me you stole from. Please return the money, DM me your adress and I will pick it up
Of course. Please DM me the Coles you were at and what time it was!

Wahesh

Reaction score
Wtf? You bought 3 items and got change from $5? :dizzy:
Yes sir! Hey... no footy was on. It's a Netflix night.

Ironically... there's footy on tonight, and it's also a Netflix night (because we're playing and I ain't watching that frustrating shit).
upload_2019-7-12_13-33-10.png
upload_2019-7-12_13-33-35.png
upload_2019-7-12_13-34-3.png

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Wtf? You bought 3 items and got change from $5? :dizzy:
Remember when you could buy 3 items with 2 bux and still get change?

I still remember when a small chips was 80c and served by Greeks.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I tip my hat off to you. Well played :blush:
Dude there's plenty of things you can get from there that are ~$1 each. I remember I bought ONE red chili once. You know how much it cost me. 2 FREAKING cents!

Wahesh

Reaction score

Yeah there was a Greek gyros place in Campsie that used to do awesome hot chips for $1.50 - they didn't last long there though. This was in the mids 90s.

I remember in 1999, my economics teacher said that when he was in school (it would've been the early 70s) he would take a 10 cent coin to school, and it would buy him lunch - chip, a can, and ice cream - and still get change from that.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah there was a Greek gyros place in Campsie that used to do awesome hot chips for $1.50 - they didn't last long there though. This was in the mids 90s.

I remember in 1999, my economics teacher said that when he was in school (it would've been the early 70s) he would take a 10 cent coin to school, and it would buy him lunch - chip, a can, and ice cream - and still get change from that.
We were born 30 years too late

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score

And a 50c lolly bag would last you a couple of days if you didnt binge it.

I even remember buying cartons of Benson and Hedges for the old man for $20. I wasnt even a teenager yet lol

Dude there's plenty of things you can get from there that are ~$1 each. I remember I bought ONE red chili once. You know how much it cost me. 2 FREAKING cents!
Haha was this when the 2 cent coins were around or much later?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score

I even remember buying cartons of Benson and Hedges for the old man for $20. I wasnt even a teenager yet lol

My mum used to send my brother to the shops with a list of stuff to buy when he was 4 years old.

Smokes being on the list and the shop used to sell them to him.

This is before the 1995 crackdown when they finally started enforcing that kids under 18 couldn't buy them.

My older brother is a lucky SOB born in 1977 so he missed the crap.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah, nah. If I bought a 50c lolly bag, it was empty within 5 minutes lol. I hate lollies now though... I'm a chocolate man.
This was a few weeks ago dude... I bought ONE lose chili :tearsofjoy:

Wahesh

Reaction score
My mum used to send my brother to the shops with a list of stuff to buy when he was 4 years old.

Smokes being on the list and the shop used to sell them to him.

This is before the 1995 crackdown when they finally started enforcing that kids under 18 couldn't buy them.

My older brother is a lucky SOB born in 1977 so he missed the crap.
Back then kids were carefree. Heck even in the mid 90s when I was a lad I was carefree.

Damn this nostalgia talk is making me depressed :(

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Back then kids were carefree. Heck even in the mid 90s when I was a lad I was carefree.

Damn this nostalgia talk is making me depressed :(
You used to see kids outside playing everywhere, riding bikes or whatever.

Now like @Blue_boost 's thread.

Seeing kids play outside randomly is like spotting a unicorn.

Wahesh

Reaction score
You used to see kids outside playing everywhere, riding bikes or whatever.

Now like @Blue_boost 's thread.

Seeing kids play outside randomly is like spotting a unicorn.
That's what it was like for me. I remember myself and my neighbours... and sometimes even our elderly neighbours grandson (who didn't live there) - we always used to play backyard footy... handball... tennis... ride our bikes... we even tried gridiron once lol. Rarely we'd play video games. That doesn't happen these days. The only times kids play sport is if they're in a professional competition.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok, now I like to take pride in being a good person (despite some of the sick, twisted shyte you may read on here), and yesterday something happened.

In the past, (and I'm sure this has happened to a few of us) I have gone to Coles and used the self checkout and found some change that hasn't been collected at the unit that was used. I have always picked up the coins and given them to the team member there. Now I don't know what they do with it, hold it for a certain time if someone comes back asking for it, or put it back in the machine, or steal it themselves, but that's something I've done.

Now yesterday, I went to use a unit, and waited for the person in front of me to finish. I went up, scanned my 3 items, and put my cash in. I selected no receipt, and then waited for my change to come out. As I did so, I saw a $20 note sitting there in the dispenser. I thought... this can't be mine, I only put $5 in... and my change came out. So I picked up my change and the $20. I remembered what the lady in front of me looked like so I walked outside hoping to find her in the car park... but she wasn't there. There wasn't even anyone loading/unloading things into their car.

I walked back onto the street and couldn't see her anywhere. I walked around the block to see if she was parked on the street or used the alternate entry into the car park... no luck. What I was going to do was ask her if she could show me the receipt from her purchase to see if the $20 change she should've had was correct. I simply would've told her that some money was left unattended and if her receipt adds up I would've given it to her.

I couldn't see her anywhere however I really wanted to give her the $20 back - it would've been a good deed. I didn't hand it back to the shop either because technically, it wasn't their money, it was hers (most likely).

Did I commit a crime? If so, how?
Some kids a grew up with, in a very small town, found just under $4k in a bag. One of them was a goody two shoes and insisted they hand it in. So they handed it in, and after a year no one claimed it. So it was divided up 6 ways amongst them.
I'm pretty sure karma will favour you in your case.