News Bulldogs veteran: Splashing cash at marquee signings just a stopgap

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They sit last on the NRL ladder but Canterbury prop Aiden Tolman has warned the Bulldogs against going after marquee signings like the Trbojevic brothers.

Tolman, who plays his 250th top-flight game against Cronulla on at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, says the wooden spoon favourites should prioritise the development of players already at the club.

The Daily Telegraph reported this month that Canterbury have an $8.5 million war chest to build a roster from season 2021 with only six players from the current top 30 — Corey Harawira-Naera, Christian Crichton, Nick Meaney, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor and Dylan Napa - signed beyond 2020.

It was reported Sydney Roosters superstar Latrell Mitchell was one target and more recently Manly duo Tom and Jake Trbojevic have been identified as potential recruits for the Bulldogs.

While Tolman conceded the signings of the Trbojevic brothers would be an “asset” and could help attract others to Belmore, the 30-year-old urged management to look closer to home.

“Just because they have a lot of money to spend why can’t it be on developing players here and the players currently here at the moment. Obviously, we do need to try and buy some quality players and bring them to the club but we’ve got quality players here as well,” Tolman said.

“I think if you can land marquee players, it does attract other players, that’s part of the game but you can’t just go out and buy your whole team.”

Canterbury’s roster has been in a state of flux since the sacking of former coach Des Hasler and the removal of the Ray Dib-led board in late 2017. Players like James Graham, Josh Reynolds, Moses Mbye and David Klemmer have either been let go or released from their contracts to join rival teams.

But Tolman believes the recent signings of Penrith flyer Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Melbourne forward Joe Stimson showed the club still has the potential to pick-up quality recruits.

Skipper Josh Jackson admitted the uncertainty around the futures of players at Belmore could grow into a distraction for the Bulldogs who sit two points last behind Gold Coast.

“It’s probably in the back of a lot of guys minds who are off contract but that’s the nature of the sport. That’s just the way it is. If everyone goes out there and puts in good performances then that sort of stuff looks after itself,” Jackson said.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...p/news-story/c2deb8d7a032d8d84d3643aa27d6a859

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They sit last on the NRL ladder but Canterbury prop Aiden Tolman has warned the Bulldogs against going after marquee signings like the Trbojevic brothers.

Tolman, who plays his 250th top-flight game against Cronulla on at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, says the wooden spoon favourites should prioritise the development of players already at the club.

The Daily Telegraph reported this month that Canterbury have an $8.5 million war chest to build a roster from season 2021 with only six players from the current top 30 — Corey Harawira-Naera, Christian Crichton, Nick Meaney, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor and Dylan Napa - signed beyond 2020.

It was reported Sydney Roosters superstar Latrell Mitchell was one target and more recently Manly duo Tom and Jake Trbojevic have been identified as potential recruits for the Bulldogs.

While Tolman conceded the signings of the Trbojevic brothers would be an “asset” and could help attract others to Belmore, the 30-year-old urged management to look closer to home.

“Just because they have a lot of money to spend why can’t it be on developing players here and the players currently here at the moment. Obviously, we do need to try and buy some quality players and bring them to the club but we’ve got quality players here as well,” Tolman said.

“I think if you can land marquee players, it does attract other players, that’s part of the game but you can’t just go out and buy your whole team.”

Canterbury’s roster has been in a state of flux since the sacking of former coach Des Hasler and the removal of the Ray Dib-led board in late 2017. Players like James Graham, Josh Reynolds, Moses Mbye and David Klemmer have either been let go or released from their contracts to join rival teams.

But Tolman believes the recent signings of Penrith flyer Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Melbourne forward Joe Stimson showed the club still has the potential to pick-up quality recruits.

Skipper Josh Jackson admitted the uncertainty around the futures of players at Belmore could grow into a distraction for the Bulldogs who sit two points last behind Gold Coast.

“It’s probably in the back of a lot of guys minds who are off contract but that’s the nature of the sport. That’s just the way it is. If everyone goes out there and puts in good performances then that sort of stuff looks after itself,” Jackson said.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...p/news-story/c2deb8d7a032d8d84d3643aa27d6a859
Coming from players who are on massive overs and are under performing......

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Coming from players who are on massive overs and are under performing......
A lot of the senior players seem to have a self inflated opinion of how good they when in reality they are simply plodders. I don't think Pay helps by blowing smoke up the ass of Tolman, Jackson and Elliott on a regular basis.

You'd think we are cruising along in the top 4 according to Tolman.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since when is it a player's job to tell their club who to sign or try to run their club? Someone needs to tell him to shut up and focus on his own job and let the people in recruitment to worry about those things! This club is hitting lows I've never seen.... we are in trouble!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tolman just doesn't want marquee players to come so he can keep ruining every attacking play and taking three 5 metres settlers every set.

He says you can't buy a whole football team. With how shit the squad has gotten, that's pretty much exactly what we have to do!

Is Tolman completely oblivious to the fact that we're dead last and came 12th last year?

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman just doesn't want marquee players to come so he can keep ruining every attacking play and taking three 5 metres settlers every set.

He says you can't buy a whole football team. With how shit the squad has gotten, that's pretty much exactly what we have to do!

Is Tolman completely oblivious to the fact that we're dead last and came 12th last year?
Tolman had been at the club toooooooo long... When is his contract up? It feels like he's being with us since 1980!

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also that he is a large part of our problems in attack and with the salary cap...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tolman had been at the club toooooooo long... When is his contract up? It feels like he's being with us since 1980!
End of next season. Same with Jackson and Hoppa etc. I hope another club takes him and we pay part of his deal (largely backended of course, thanks Des!) because teams still rate his workrate and defensive efforts.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just what I wanted to read while taking a dump at the servo :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tolman just needs to STFU and stay out of recruitment discussion.. Last I checked he was a player, not the fkn recruitment and retention committee ..

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, what a typically Tolman thing to say...we don't need to excel with our recruitment, just keep going steady-as-she-goes.

Exactly how he plays.

This garbage removes any doubt as to whether he should stay or go. He is the dead tree limb resting on the shed roof, slowly crushing it...must be cut off and tossed asap.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand they will never make negative comments around the club and coaching but gee it would be nice if they at least showed some honesty regarding where we are at, seems many are completely dillusional

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I really wish we had media that would actually ask decent questions in these press conferences and ask Tolman why did he think the club would want to re-sign any player part of a wooden spoon bound team?
The media here are so soft. They ask more clichèd questions than the answers players give and most of the time it's a statement, not a question.

"Gee you must be proud of how the boys played today...That must have been a tough loss.... I thought xxxx really stood out today..."

It would be nice if they asked probing, insightful questions that elicited a genuine and interesting response for once.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This article goes to the depth of the slackness pervading the club. An extensive article, with quotes, so less likely to be out of context.

It speaks to the ridiculous, entitled attitude of (probably) most of the players and the thanks for participating attitude of the coach.

Its clear we are in deep, deep trouble and no way out of this as things stand with both players and coach (and you can patch in the Board at present going by Tolman and Jackson's cavalier and delusional, attitude.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So nobody thinks he has a valid point about uncertainty in the squad?
Uncertainty is the biggest killer of productivity in the work place and I think it is have a big influence in the dressing room and reflecting with the performance on the field.

The issue with the tenure of the coach is of course the biggest problem. However the club does also need to make decisions on the future of players who are off contract this season and if they are not wanted for next season tell them sooner rather than later.

I realize that such conversations usually happen after the 30 June deadline. Those players off contract this year I assume Brown, Lichaa, Martin & Olive will not be back. The others Fulalo, Harper, Katoa & Tualau I will get offered another contact.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The media here are so soft. They ask more clichèd questions than the answers players give and most of the time it's a statement, not a question.

Gee you must be proud of how the boys played today?...That must have been a tough loss.... I thought xxxx really stood out today...
Exactly right! If a NFL or EPL team was performing the same as the Dogs they would be getting hammered in interviews especially after games.

Pay has trotted out the same lines since round 1 and the media couldn't care less.