Official Joe Stimson joins the Bulldogs on a 3 year deal

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If there's one thing in the NRL you can bet your house on its that Melbourne forwards will flourish after they leave the Storm. /s

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly believe they have a plan in place for a certain coach, but it is only a hunch on who.
There is a rumor that Pay's extension was offered and will only be triggered by some results markers if he achieves them. I've heard this a few times, on radio I think - I cant remember.
The board are still playing the "Blame everything on the previous board" card for as long as they can.
When they sack Pay or don't re sign him they will remind us that he was hired by the previous board & not by them, but they gave him ample opportunity to prove himself... It just wasn't working & the club is moving in a different direction.
I realise that most are suggesting Flanagan which is a maybe.
Though just a thought that crossed my mind (for better or worse), Trent Barrett is currently under contract and cant go anywhere but this finishes in a few weeks.
I wonder if they are considering making a play for him?
I don't really think its what we need but you never know.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have added to their forward strength by signing talented second-rower Joe Stimson for the next three seasons, keeping him at Belmore until the end of the 2022 season.

23 year-old Stimson made his debut for the Melbourne Storm in 2017 and has currently made 40 NRL appearances, including last season's Grand Final loss to the Sydney Roosters.

His big game experience will be a valuable addition to a young Bulldogs pack.

Coach Dean Pay was delighted at getting someone of Stimson's ability to the Bulldogs:

"Although he is still only 23, Joe has already got some big-game experience under his belt with the Storm and we feel that he will be a great addition to our forwards. We have a very young side in terms of age and NRL games, so to add someone with Joe's talent and winning attitude will be a big boost for us moving forward and I know that everyone is excited about what he can bring."

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...lldogs-on-a-three-year-deal/?nrlreferral=true

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Though just a thought that crossed my mind (for better or worse), Trent Barrett is currently under contract and cant go anywhere but this finishes in a few weeks.
I'm not sure Trent Barrett is the answer especially given some of his dummy spitting at Manly. I would prefer to wait it out and get some like Jason Demitrou in. Take a gamble on someone who seems to have a very good track record in coaching clubs in the lower grades and being assistant to good coaches when they were doing well.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If only it was immediately.. huh?

I’m on the fence, will hold judgment, and that’s about where it ends.

Good luck Joe..!!

NabFab, we await your opinion.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Bravo Bulldogs.... the money spent on Stimson could have been used to get a decent hooker over the line. I mean.. every single other team and coach recruits players to bolster positions they are short on, or struggling in.

Oh but not Dean Pay... "MORE FORWARDS.. WE NEED MORE FORWARDS".

Fuck off Dean... we don't need more forwards... we need more playmakers.

and a new coach.

Okunbor was pretty average in reggies too and improved in first grade. Given he still has some wtf moments but he has improved. I dont see why we cant give harper a shot we have got nothing to lose at present
Okunbor has never grabbed a ball with the game in the balance from dummy half and ran up the short side with about a metre of space, which ended up in him running straight out with it, with only a single player tackling him.

Yes.. it happened last week and was absolutely mind boggling.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No fucking way!!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bravo Bulldogs.... the money spent on Stimson could have been used to get a decent hooker over the line. I mean.. every single other team and coach recruits players to bolster positions they are short on, or struggling in.

and a new coach.

Okunbor has never grabbed a ball with the game in the balance from dummy half and ran up the short side with about a metre of space, which ended up in him running straight out with it, with only a single player tackling him.

Typical loser play wasn't it. Brain transplants need out Belmore way.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

and a new coach.

Where

and a new coach.

The football club must have approved.. Unlike under Des, Pay doesnt have free reign..

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
MOD EDIT - NOW CONFIRMED
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/06/04/joe-stimson-to-join-the-bulldogs-on-a-three-year-deal/

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have added to their forward strength by signing talented second-rower Joe Stimson for the next three seasons, keeping him at Belmore until the end of the 2022 season.

23 year-old Stimson made his debut for the Melbourne Storm in 2017 and has currently made 40 NRL appearances, including last season's Grand Final loss to the Sydney Roosters.

His big game experience will be a valuable addition to a young Bulldogs pack.

Coach Dean Pay was delighted at getting someone of Stimson's ability to the Bulldogs:

"Although he is still only 23, Joe has already got some big-game experience under his belt with the Storm and we feel that he will be a great addition to our forwards. We have a very young side in terms of age and NRL games, so to add someone with Joe's talent and winning attitude will be a big boost for us moving forward and I know that everyone is excited about what he can bring."

Buzz Rothfield stating dogs have signed him for 2020.... another backrower? Really think we have a few other positions that would be priority??
Does he play hooker ?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think I lost more than my voice screaming at that play, what the hell was he thinking!

Go Dogs

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think the consensus here is that this is not a terrible signing. But it is wrong chronologically.

If we have had already signed a playmaker, hooker or centre of note then this would be progress. However, our recruitment team (and I don't just blame Pay) have decided to invest whatever money we have (and its apparently not a lot) on a forward who is alarmingly similar to what we already have times five. If it was Taumalolo or Burgess fair enough, but it is a standard run of the mill first grader who happens to play under Craig Bellamy.

The jury is still out on whether players improve when they have left the Storm. Its like buying a racehorse that was trained by a trainer who was pouring everything into it. The horse had seen its best days.

Why not get the hooker/centre/playmaker that you can build a club around and go from there. Its like this board are doing everything backwards.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I look at it as an opportune buy, we have 3 props/2nd rowers off contract this year and he is better than all 3 of them. Which includes Martin, who obviously has discipline problem, a fringe 1st grader at 26 years old and I suspect it's no coincidence that his goal kicking has dropped off markedly. No one seems to have mentioned it, but he missed one last week that would have tied up the game in the end, that last year he would have kicked. Where is Nasheed when you need him, bet he would be claiming that Holland would have kicked it.

There simply aren't any decent hookers (sic) available at the moment, so it's not like there was an alternate choice there, just waiting for us to take it.

FWIW I think we need a couple of game breakers, players who can turn nothing onto something, take anything that remotely looks like half a chance and turn it into points, just give them the ball, stand back and watch the magic whilst inspiring the other players around them.

Go Dogs