Cody Walker refuses to sing national anthem at State of Origin

longy0303

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's terrible. Are you telling me he refuses to sing a song in a country that promotes freedom, because many others have been brainwashed into believing it shows some form of national pride.

I think he needs to participate in some extra propaganda courses so he has the same beliefs as everyone else.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We got there whole country for nothing. That one billion is cheap imo.
Seriously? Are we going to blame everyone now for what happened over 200 years ago? I don’t believe anyone was alive today when white man landed here.

There are too many handouts these days to people who don’t deserve them. Sooner rather then later our workforce is going to be smaller then people living off the benefits something needs to change in this country.

As for singing the anthem who gives a flying fuck others don’t sing it I just don’t see why he had to run to the media about it and put more pressure on himself before his debut.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That's terrible. Are you telling me he refuses to sing a song in a country that promotes freedom, because many others have been brainwashed into believing it shows some form of national pride.

I think he needs to participate in some extra propaganda courses so he has the same beliefs as everyone else.
First post - get right into it :grinning:

Make sure you post in the introduction page as well.

PS: Welcome to the Kennel.

A

Alexander the Great

Hi nasheed is that you nasheed?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Don't sing shouldn't play! Your representing Australia whether you like it or not.

The NRL side with Yawnion refusing Folau's his religious beliefs yet support a player taking a racial stance? Hypocritical much.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yep it's true, anyone's opinion of anyone else and their reasons for signing or not singing are subjective.

But my argument isn't just limited to whether or not they sing. My argument is that the best way to unite a population of people who differ along so many lines is to unite behind a nation and that nation should be defined with a certain set of values (that someone might call that nation's culture).

So by not singing the national anthem, to me you are basically saying the country is oppressing you or doing something to you that you think is manifestly unfair.

I find that hard to believe in a country like Australia where you can practically do or become anyone you want to, regardless of skin colour, sexual preference, gender, religion, politcal affiliation, family wealth etc etc.

Of course statistics show that certain groups of people do better than other groups of people (e.g. indigenous outcomes versus non indigenous outcomes), but you would have to analyse that data along a huge number of lines to even begin to understand why those outcomes are happening.

Should the non indigenous people believe that australian society is somehow holding back indigenous people? I highly doubt that. But at the same time it's clear indigenous people have far worse outcomes than the rest of the population.

Reducing those outcomes to some misguided belief that somehow Australia is racist and oppressive is just silly. It doesn't even begin to consider that the outcomes could be for a myriad of other reasons.
I don’t disagree we need to unify.... but true unification involves compromise.... not force feeding a large group of people a perception of history they don’t agree with which is actually painful to many of them. Why do we have to use symbols from a time when the nation was far from perfect and very much divided to express our unity?

The my way or the highway attitude only reinforces division, imo.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
It is pitiful how this "not singing the anthem" shit is all the rage nowadays amongst players who apparently feel oppressed, co-incidently hot on the heels of it becoming fashionable in US sports. The NRL boys love to think of themselves as "rock star" athletes such as NFL players, lapping up all the faux media flaggelation. Too much reality TV has been watched by these flogs.
By all means don't sing the anthem, no-one would notice if these blokes didn't.....but when they make a big song and dance about it of course people are gonna arc up.
Addo-Carr, Mitchell, Gagai, Chambers etc will all follow suit and refuse to acknowledge our anthem because it will be "un-Aboriginal" amongst them not to do so. Addo-Carr the guffawing bobble-head would go along with anything the brothers are doing: he fair dinkum has fucking sawdust for brains the giggling imbecile.
Funny how Walker is bringing all this media attention onto himself because IMO he will play like shit next Wednesday night and the spotlight will be on him due to his stance on this issue.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really dislike how there morals only extend so far... They are playing a sport that originated in ENGLAND... I'm pretty sure there was no rugby league before Australia was settled. If the anthem jerks them that much that they don't want to sing it, then boycott the game of rugby league all together. Wouldn't it be interesting if non indigenous players boycotted the indigenous round because it is irrelevant to there family and culture... Look nothing against indigenous players, they have provided us with great excitement and ability over the years but actions like this is doing more bad than good as far as moving forward goes...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I just love how just when society thinks it's done as much as it can to "heal the wounds", there's another brilliant idea to "stick it to tha white fella". So much for coming together as one.

If it wasn't for modern Australia Cody, you wouldn't be wearing clothes, driving a car, living in a fancy house, and you certainly wouldn't be getting paid a 6 figure sum to play sport.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It’s like the butthurt Olympics in here.... lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I really REALLY do not want to think of what potential sports would be at the Butthurt Olympics.
I am not sure.... but I’m pretty sure competing isn’t an option for Israel Folau :p

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is pitiful how this "not singing the anthem" shit is all the rage nowadays amongst players who apparently feel oppressed, co-incidently hot on the heels of it becoming fashionable in US sports. The NRL boys love to think of themselves as "rock star" athletes such as NFL players, lapping up all the faux media flaggelation. Too much reality TV has been watched by these flogs.
By all means don't sing the anthem, no-one would notice if these blokes didn't.....but when they make a big song and dance about it of course people are gonna arc up.
Addo-Carr, Mitchell, Gagai, Chambers etc will all follow suit and refuse to acknowledge our anthem because it will be "un-Aboriginal" amongst them not to do so. Addo-Carr the guffawing bobble-head would go along with anything the brothers are doing: he fair dinkum has fucking sawdust for brains the giggling imbecile.
Funny how Walker is bringing all this media attention onto himself because IMO he will play like shit next Wednesday night and the spotlight will be on him due to his stance on this issue.
Walker was asked by the media about this, they generated the story. Why is choosing not to sing the anthem disrespectful? Australians rarely sing the national anthem anyway

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Most Indigenous people do not have the opportunity to make lots of money from professional sport. Maybe he feels his gesture is necessary to support them. Protesters do not need to protest their own circumstances, a big part of protesting is using a platform to support society's voiceless.

Like it or lump it, he has the right to protest. Don't like it? Go find a totalitarian country to live in.

Who says tighty righties aren't easily triggered? Lol
You think I’m a snowflake? He’s the snowflake making this an issue about being offended by a song. He has never been hard done by in life and will have it easier than any of us if he fucks up.

He should be talking about his people taking responsibility for their own actions and parents raising their children right from the get go if he wants to shine light on the real issues. ‘We’ the whitey as I got referenced in my stays in the top end do nothing but try and break this cycle of rape, drug and alcohol abuse but they do nothing to help themselves on.

He has the right to protest like anyone else I would never decline that and would fight for his right to do so. But do so on your own time. The NRL is a private company, you only need to look as far as how much money the NFL bled when they let the same issue run rampant and media damage.

He should be doing tours of remote towns and showcasing how the NRL can change your life. Not using it as the platform to grandstand from if he really wants to help.

Working in several mining towns for years and just watching everyone receive royalty payments from BHP piss is all away on ice and booze then bash their wife while their kids wander the streets selling themselves I have 0 sympathy or time for the matter anymore but have experienced the issues first hand.

You want to help aboriginals? Go to the outback and do something useful stop yapping to the fucking journos.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You think I’m a snowflake? He’s the snowflake making this an issue about being offended by a song. He has never been hard done by in life and will have it easier than any of us if he fucks up.

He should be talking about his people taking responsibility for their own actions and parents raising their children right from the get go if he wants to shine light on the real issues. ‘We’ the whitey as I got referenced in my stays in the top end do nothing but try and break this cycle of rape, drug and alcohol abuse but they do nothing to help themselves on.

He has the right to protest like anyone else I would never decline that and would fight for his right to do so. But do so on your own time. The NRL is a private company, you only need to look as far as how much money the NFL bled when they let the same issue run rampant and media damage.

He should be doing tours of remote towns and showcasing how the NRL can change your life. Not using it as the platform to grandstand from if he really wants to help.

Working in several mining towns for years and just watching everyone receive royalty payments from BHP piss is all away on ice and booze then bash their wife while their kids wander the streets selling themselves I have 0 sympathy or time for the matter anymore but have experienced the issues first hand.

You want to help aboriginals? Go to the outback and do something useful stop yapping to the fucking journos.
Do you know for a fact he hasn’t visited remote towns? Or doesn’t plan to do so?

He should do this, he should do that..... he doesn’t need you telling him what he should or shouldn’t do, and getting angry about him exercising his right to protest achieves sweet fuck all, mate. If his employer has an issue with the way he expresses himself and he is seen to be breaching his contract or neglecting his duties, his employer will address it with him.

I think I see your point- that this form of protest only exacerbates the low self esteem mentality that leads to self destructive and negative behaviour patterns, but there’s a reverse school of thought that angry people fuming about Indigenous people who are in a position to speak exercising their freedoms and telling those who have found success how they should help their communities exacerbates these behaviour patterns in itself.

He’s not handing anyone a bottle or a crack pipe, he’s expressing his point of view and getting a bee in your bonnet about it is no more constructive than you think his behaviour is.

Nobody is ever going to convince anybody to adopt a more reconciliatory attitude by yelling at them or talking down to them.... it’s high time we had a proper dialogue about this rather than trying to talk over indigenous people who do have a voice.

Wgat eould be the big issue about considering a new anthem that is more representative of Australia today? The vast majority of Australians don’t even know the second verse anyway. It only seems to be precious to a lot of people when others question it.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Most Indigenous people do not have the opportunity to make lots of money from professional sport. Maybe he feels his gesture is necessary to support them. Protesters do not need to protest their own circumstances, a big part of protesting is using a platform to support society's voiceless.

Like it or lump it, he has the right to protest. Don't like it? Go find a totalitarian country to live in.

Who says tighty righties aren't easily triggered? Lol
I do agree regarding freedom of speech
Cody is well with in his rights to not sing the anthem if he believes in the message and as a statement

But what comes with free speech is the consequences of it are also free speech available.
So if the right want to jump up and down about it, let em.

If the broadcasters had any sense, they wouldn’t hone in on it or draw attention to it.

Politics has no place in sport

Broadcasters have an obligation to provide sporting entertainment, not promote an individuals political views.