Cody Walker refuses to sing national anthem at State of Origin

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if waltzing maltilda ever becomes the anthem I would protest

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is outdated as far as an anthem if concerned. The wording itself is old. Who the hell uses words like "toil" and "Girt" anymore?

Waltzing Matilda is far more fitting, and people who sing the chorus of that song do so with great passion. Imagine a Rugby League of Rugby Union World Cup final, or even the Olympic Medal ceremony with that song being played. It sends positive chills down my spine thinking about it!
I was bringing the point that the original poster said it doesn’t describe us now
When the 2ords actually do describe us
I asked him to po8nt out which bit didn’t to which he couldn’t do
Now to your question and point, yes I’m not disagreeing with you at all, my other comments where to another post to which he had nothing
Waltzing Matilda is mint... but then you get the same muppets saying it’s written by a German etc
Some people will never be happy no matter what we do mate
It’s lose lose situation
End of the day we’re a mutlticutral nation whom we live in a great country, so good of country in fact the worst things we pick at about it are pathetic like words in a song etc
If that’s our worst drama, well I’m greatful to be Australian
Waltzing Matilda wahesh

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It is outdated as far as an anthem if concerned. The wording itself is old. Who the hell uses words like "toil" and "Girt" anymore?

Waltzing Matilda is far more fitting, and people who sing the chorus of that song do so with great passion. Imagine a Rugby League of Rugby Union World Cup final, or even the Olympic Medal ceremony with that song being played. It sends positive chills down my spine thinking about it!
A song about a homeless thief who killed himself rather than face the consequences of his actions?

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A song about a homeless thief who killed himself rather than face the consequences of his actions?
What I said to wahesh, not matter the song some people will hate it lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That's fine.... if you don't want to sing the anthem... lets see if another player would like to.

If these blokes want to make a real stand for "their people", how about they start tackling the real issues, like the insanely high incidents of child rape in indigenous communities.

Or is it easier to bury the old head in the same and focus on problems that don't really exist?

@coach have you gone past the first verse?
@Wahesh that's the pre 1901 lyrics.

Second verse is:
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands
To make this Commonwealth of ours
renowned of all the lands
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia Fair

SKY-DOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I worked in the Northern Territory for 6 years,
I lived in Katherine - Tennant Creek - Alice Springs and Darwin.
I’ve been to over 150 remote indigenous communities and cattle farms in central / south / central Western Australia down to Kalgoorlie.

If this snow flake doesn’t want to sing our national anthem that’s fine it’s a free country. Now let me tell you he can virtual signal all he wants but one thing is certain, it’s not going to change jack shit.
He should get out there and see the real Australia and contribute if he feels so strongly about it. I did and I’m very proud of what I achieved.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's fine.... if you don't want to sing the anthem... lets see if another player would like to.

If these blokes want to make a real stand for "their people", how about they start tackling the real issues, like the insanely high incidents of child rape in indigenous communities.

Or is it easier to bury the old head in the same and focus on problems that don't really exist?

@Wahesh that's the pre 1901 lyrics.

Second verse is:
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands
To make this Commonwealth of ours
renowned of all the lands
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia Fair
Don’t talk sense mate, frowned upon around here...lol

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Most Indigenous people do not have the opportunity to make lots of money from professional sport. Maybe he feels his gesture is necessary to support them. Protesters do not need to protest their own circumstances, a big part of protesting is using a platform to support society's voiceless.

Like it or lump it, he has the right to protest. Don't like it? Go find a totalitarian country to live in.

Who says tighty righties aren't easily triggered? Lol
They can study like the rest of the world and make something out of themselves. And if that fails, the government gives them more money and benefits for being indigenous. Not sure what the fuss is all about to be honest. They are not the only so called oppressed people. Many other war torn countries have much worse situations than them, yet they don’t get government hand outs. The Australian governments gives them heaps of benefits that they don’t appreciate and spend on drugs and alcohol. I’m generalising here.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great song which i think everyone who calls Australia home could appreciate.
I think if it was changed that it would have to be to this.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read this story this morning and thought yo myself: I wonder how long it will take for the usual to get upset. Answer was not long.

He's not exactly the first person not to sing the anthem and wont be the last.

This isnt even an event where people are representing their country... actually do NSW and QLD have state songs? That would be more interesting.
Yes they do

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Young and free ... Humans in Australia have been here for nearly 50,000 years lol
Girt by Sea ... If the word Girt represents you in anyway, well done.
Golden soil, and wealth for toil..... Is that talking about our natural resources... that's cool and all but what does that say about us?
Of Beauty rich and rare ... Every country could say the same thing.
Grit is meant to represent beaches and sand

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I couldn't name our last 5 prime ministers
I can't remember that second part of the anthem no one sings .
I have no right to comment if someone should or should not sing something, fuck i dont even like rugby league

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s origin why do they even have the national anthem!
It’s not the national team then i Might care but other than that it’s a non issue

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
SEND HIM BACK TO WHERE HE CAME FROM!

A

Alexander the Great

It's his land and country he can do whatever the fuck he likes

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I couldn't name our last 5 prime ministers
I can't remember that second part of the anthem no one sings .
I have no right to comment if someone should or should not sing something, fuck i dont even like rugby league
morrison, turnbull, rudd, Gillard, rudd ffs

edit: missed abbott somewhere in there tbh

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Great song which i think everyone who calls Australia home could appreciate.
I think if it was changed that it would have to be to this.
I officiate at a citizenship ceremony on Australia Day each year, and the local public school choir and the crowd song both the anthem and this song.

Guess which one garners more emotion from people? FFS, Mrs CD, a "new Australian" herself can't hear it without bursting into tears - which makes it annoying watch the ABC as it's used in their promos.

(It also includes a nod to our indigenous heritage as well).